• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

Do you reckon this would work better as a Disney+ series? I like what’s happening with the mandorlorian and they could build more of the lore post Depp

It’d be pretty damn expensive if they do it right.

I don’t think every film franchise should be turned into a series at this point.

Remember that pirate series on Starz? Me neither.

Never caught my eye. I may check it out.

'Pirates Of The Caribbean' Star Claims Sixth Movie Is Being Discussed

Lee Arenberg, who portrayed the character of bumbling pirate Pintel in the first three movies of the franchise, claims that discussions on a possible sixth film are definitely taking place. While making an appearance on Kendall Talks TV, Arenberg noted that he would love to be part of the upcoming movie if someone comes up to him with an offer.

“They are definitely talking about it, as far as I know. I mean yeah, of course, obviously. But they have already done two without us. I love it, though. I love that part. But it is not up to me,” Arenberg said.

Now Depp is kinda off the hook with the Heard stuff, I hope they do make a sixth movie, as that cliffhanger from the 5th movie needs to be resolved.

The after-credits cliffhanger from the last one makes no sense but
I do love the character of Davy Jones, so I wouldn't be completely opposed to him returning.

But I have noticed that nostalgia kicks in after two decades or so ('80s properties like Transformers saw a resurgence in the 2000's, '90s properties like Power Rangers, Pokemon and remakes of Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King in the 2010's). We'll be coming up on the 20th anniversary of the original POTC film in a few years so they could try to make one last film with the original cast to cash in and hope for the best or reboot it and have it fail entirely.

Either way, and I think I've said it in this thread before, Disney doesn't need Pirates of the Caribbean. The films helped keep the studio well in the green 10-15 years ago but that was before movies like Frozen made Disney animation popular again and before they owned Marvel and Star Wars. That being said, I think it's safe to say that more people would rather see one last Pirates of the Caribbean with Depp getting a proper sendoff than, say, Artemis Fowl.

Oh, please Christ, don't bring Jones back. That was dumb. Stop trying to make these tie together. I want standalone adventures. It's kind of what I wanted out of 2 and 3 and probably would have suited it better even if the trilogy idea isn't a bad one.

Well they did that stinger for an obvious set up. Either it wasn't Jones or it was some other manifestation due to Will's time as the Dutchman.

I still reckon Depp is too big a liability. Last time they paid him $50 mill and he couldn’t even learn his lines for that.

I suppose if they have to they could use him in a passing the torch sort of scene like Han Solo in Star Wars

People are too harsh on Johnny Depp. Most deserve second chances, even when last time they couldn't memorize their lines.

Remember when people were jumping on the "Christian Bale is a monster" bandwagon in 2008/09? Yeah, if cancel culture would have been a thing back then we may have missed out on many of his fantastic performances.

Nope. I'm not done with Depp, and hope he can jump back successfully.

He's always been an excellent actor, I think he's just been accused of sleep walking through his last few.

He hasn't been challenged very much lately. Add to that a toxic relationship and the massive fingerpointing and bile he had to endure from the public... et voilà.

And even though the movie itself wasn't very good, his performance in City of Lies was.

People are too harsh on Johnny Depp. Most deserve second chances, even when last time they couldn't memorize their lines.

Remember when people were jumping on the "Christian Bale is a monster" bandwagon in 2008/09? Yeah, if cancel culture would have been a thing back then we may have missed out on many of his fantastic performances.

Well if Mel Gibson can stage a comeback, with an Oscar nomination no less, Depp with the right project can as well.

Well said.

I like Johnny Depp and I like the concept but I do feel the franchise has being run in to the ground a bit.

I loved the first one when it came out and the second was enjoyable enough but the third one onwards, they just dwindle in quality IMO. They tried too hard to keep making them bigger and tying lots of stuff together and whatnot and putting too much focus on Jack Sparrow. He shouldn't be the main character, he should be a character in someone elses story.

He's a cool character.. that first scene in the first film where he rides in on his boats mast as it sinks is just so cool. And as much as he is a drunkard and whatnot, I also think he's a smart character, like he knows what he's doing.. that film for example where he's just bumbling about during the bank robbery, is ridiculous.

I would be interested in another film if they took it back to more in keeping with the first film.. Or I can see some value in a reboot if they just did a new story/characters set in the same world/timeline. I certainly wouldn't want to see a young Jack Sparrow or a reboot of the same characters with different actors.

It probably wouldn't work now but I always said that (back after the Iron Man came out) they should have introduced RDJ as Jacks long lost brother. And not a Jack Sparrow clone, he could be a more daring, swashbuckling, successful (typical) version of a pirate or he could be more of a straight laced pirate catcher/mercenary.

I always felt like Downey's Sherlock Holmes was his take on a Sparrow like character.

I honestly feel like the only one of these movie that was good was the first one. And even that film had a so-so story and a lead (Bloom) who wasn’t remotely interesting. Depp and Rush made the movie.

Let it die, already. Disney, you have a hundred other AMUSEMENT PARK RIDES that you can concoct a half-assed story out of. Use another one of those, like you’re doing with Jungle Cruise. Come on, give us TEACUPS: RISE OF THE DEMON PORCELAIN.

I don't get Disney's insistence on this franchise. The first one was an almost-masterpiece, yes, and Depp's performance in it was equally incredible. But it was lightning in a bottle. None of the following films, not even the ones in the "original" trilogy have been specially good and the last ones were complete wastes of time. Depp himself has phoned-in his Jack Sparrow performance since 2003 as well so I don't get why some think these movies are the way back into the spotlight, he should get a better project for that.

I mean, I get he feels like he's been robbed years of work due to his personal affairs and he's probably right but let's be fair here, people were bored with "Pirates" long before any of that.

Oh yeah, I don't necessarily need any other "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequels. They have ALL been phoning it in for quite a while now. But I also don't really need a reboot with a new cast, either. There's not much else you could do with the franchise, even with new faces.

So if IF they do feel the need to make another "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie, they may as well bring Johnny Depp back and try to make a satisfying last hurrah for Jack Sparrow & Co.

I feel like the major problems with the sequels is that they tried too hard to create a cohesive trilogy and constantly tie it all together. They kind of suffer from soap opera syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"