Disney to pull films from Netflix and start its own streaming service

You'd need more than just the odd sporting fixture, you'd need something that's going to run at least 6-9 months of the year. Perfect testing ground would be to acquire rights for a couple of lower professional sports leagues, basketball, cricket, rugby, field hockey, sports that aren't going cost billions.

I predict that the day will come when there are so many pay streaming services that a company comes along and bundles the services all together...so you can pay one monthly fee for a bunch of...lets call them "channels"...and it will be heralded as a fantastic and innovative idea to deliver multiple competing channels straight to your tv that you can choose between to watch.

I predict that the day will come when there are so many pay streaming services that a company comes along and bundles the services all together...so you can pay one monthly fee for a bunch of...lets call them "channels"...and it will be heralded as a fantastic and innovative idea to deliver multiple competing channels straight to your tv that you can choose between to watch.
A very valid point here. Spreading out all this exclusive content over all these paid platforms is going to become a problem soon.

Everything always comes full circle. We claim we're cutting the cord but all we're doing is just connecting to an invisible one.

Lol. It's funny cause it's probably going to happen.

Eh, it's still better. This time we can control when we want to watch something.

Everything always comes full circle. We claim we're cutting the cord but all we're doing is just connecting to an invisible one.
The one difference here is you can pick and choose which cords to cut and which to keep. The downside is it will cost more if you try to keep paying for every service monthly than if it were all on cable.

There are I think 15 moderate to major streaming services already with more on the way. I have two: Netflix and Prime. I am not interested in adding another $10-15 or more per service to my monthly bills. I might get one for a month or two every so often but at this stage I'm using the giant middle finger of choice to tell them I'm not interested in paying for yet another needless service that could easily have been added to Netflix or Amazon or even Hulu.

I guess the upside is you do have more access to watch certain shows whenever you want and a whole backlog of content. But I still think it's a valid point by terry78.

I also have Netflix and Prime, and not really interested in adding anything beyond that.

So it's been a few weeks with FOX being bought by Disney
1) I'm guessing Hulu would become Disney's streaming service. I don't see why they would launch a whole 2nd one when they would own 60% of Hulu and probably have the cash to buy out the other 2 companies (Comcast has 30% and Time Warner, parent company of WB owns 10%)
2) FOX was already taking their stuff off Netflix, with them being bought out for sure they'll be moving to the new Disney service, which again I think will just be Hulu or a rebrand of Hulu

So does this mean ESPN-Star is a thing again in India? I kinda hated having to type Sony-ESPN for a while now. :)

1) I'm guessing Hulu would become Disney's streaming service. I don't see why they would launch a whole 2nd one when they would own 60% of Hulu and probably have the cash to buy out the other 2 companies (Comcast has 30% and Time Warner, parent company of WB owns 10%)
2) FOX was already taking their stuff off Netflix, with them being bought out for sure they'll be moving to the new Disney service, which again I think will just be Hulu or a rebrand of Hulu

I dont think they are interested in Hulu or buying out their partners. They want something that they own 100%. Ive seen reports that Disney would most likely just sell their portion of Hulu and leave.

But it would make sense and be better (for me at least) if they just used Hulu for their own streaming lol.

Last edited:
I think they will want to keep their piece of Hulu and use it for their older skewing content. Wasn't that suggested by their conference call? Things like Simpsons and Futurama can go on Hulu. The Disney streaming service will have Star Wars, Marvel, and the like.

I think they will want to keep their piece of Hulu and use it for their older skewing content. Wasn't that suggested by their conference call? Things like Simpsons and Futurama can go on Hulu. The Disney streaming service will have Star Wars, Marvel, and the like.

So the stuff that I actually care about... :o

What counts as "older skewing content?" There are some shows on ABC that are older skewing right? Like Shondaland. And then of course there's FX

I don't see why Disney wouldnt not want to make a 1 stop shop for all the content they own. Unless they want people to buy both their service and Hulu, which I wouldn't put it pass them

I dont think they are interested in Hulu or buying out their partners. They want something that they own 100%. Ive seen reports that Disney would most likely just sell their portion of Hulu and leave.

But it would make sense and be better (for me at least) if they just used Hulu for their own streaming lol.

I mean if they buy the rest of the Hulu shares they would own 100%.

But yeah I dont get why start their own service instead of keep/rebrand Hulu

Last edited:
They may own the majority but they cant just go and rebrand Hulu which is probably a big thing for them. Apparently Comcast will have a greater say in Hulu come 2018 when their initial expires that didn't allow them to have any say in anything.

I think they just want 100% control and of course this way they get more money by having people pay for 2 streaming services.

What counts as "older skewing content?" There are some shows on ABC that are older skewing right? Like Shondaland. And then of course there's FX

I don't see why Disney wouldnt not want to make a 1 stop shop for all the content they own. Unless they want people to buy both their service and Hulu, which I wouldn't put it pass them

Things like the shows on FX and maybe the more adult oriented ABC shows I would imagine.

Also Blackman, this is straight from Bob Iger about Hulu:

“There’s a lot of Fox intellectual property that fits extremely well into Disney-branded direct-to-consumer services,” Iger said on the call. “There’s a lot of product that we believe will be of great use to growing Hulu as it already is. Hulu is a more adult-oriented product [that will benefit from] Fox television production and FX.”

It basically sounds like to me he's saying they will put the more adult-type TV products they own now on Hulu, like the shows from FX. It sound like Disney streaming service will be complete one-stop shop now that they have majority interest in Hulu.

OK just goes with what I said that they would want people to pay for both

I don't know a lot about this, but if I owned a controlling interest (60%) in a company, I wouldn't be overly worried about paying for the extra 40%.

They may own the majority but they cant just go and rebrand Hulu which is probably a big thing for them. Apparently Comcast will have a greater say in Hulu come 2018 when their initial expires that didn't allow them to have any say in anything.

I think they just want 100% control and of course this way they get more money by having people pay for 2 streaming services.

If they own controlling interest, why can't they?

I mean if they buy the rest of the Hulu shares they would own 100%.

But yeah I dont get why start their own service instead of keep/rebrand Hulu

If I were Disney, I'd want a service that is very, well, "Disney" like and another I could put more adult oriented titles on.

Mommy, mommy, mommy can we please get Disflix? PLEEEEEEASE?????? I want to watch Shrek for the 5 billionth time....

If they own controlling interest, why can't they?

Any major change to the Hulu service will require Comcast’s approval, according to B.T.I.G. media analyst Richard Greenfield, who believes Comcast isn’t going to be an easy sell: “If I were Comcast, I wouldn’t want Disney doing anything that hurts [my business]. I think I’d remain in there just to torture Disney,” he said.

In fact, Disney’s purchase of Fox, and its ambitions for Hulu, just made Comcast’s stake more valuable. The cable company, due to a consent decree it signed when it acquired NBCUniversal, has had no voting say in the streaming venture for six years. That will change in September 2018 when the order expires. At that moment, Comcast could decide to flex its muscles just as Disney is closing its deal with Fox, cramping Iger’s ambition for the service. After all, why would they be interested in bolstering their competitor’s prospects?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/disney-owned-hulu-compete-with-netflix-streaming-wars

I think a time will come when these companies find out that parents who havent cut the cable won't really want to have an adult streaming service and a separate one for kids. One thing that makes Netflix as popular and great as it is, is that you have everything in one place but you can choose the kid friendly setting.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/disney-owned-hulu-compete-with-netflix-streaming-wars

I think a time will come when these companies find out that parents who havent cut the cable won't really want to have an adult streaming service and a separate one for kids. One thing that makes Netflix as popular and great as it is, is that you have everything in one place but you can choose the kid friendly setting.

Clearly Disney is going to be able to make some business related changes. I mean Comcast can't have complete veto power over everything so are we sure Disney can't make some changes that would benefit their goals without having Comcast's agreement. Things like expansion of selections, pricing, advertising, etc. would seem to be things that a majority owner could make.

Yeah. I see your point about having a single point of contact with regard to streaming services.

If I were Disney, I'd want a service that is very, well, "Disney" like and another I could put more adult oriented titles on.

Other than wanting people to pay for both why?

Netflix has freaking Narcos and Dave Chappelle stand up but they also have Barbie cartoons and Secret Life of Pets. HBO has kids programs and also Game of Thrones. Cartoon Network has their regular programming and Adult Swim. In the 90s, you had FOX Kids airing on the same network that had stuff like the X-Files. And then even music streaming services you have gangsta rappers and rockstars talking about killing and/or doing drugs on the same service that has music from The Wiggles or Hannah Montana or whoever kids listen to now

I don't see any logic in having 2 separate streaming services unless it's just that you want people to pay for 2 services.

Last edited:

Disney should do the same but they could always give the kid access version a different name or subtitle to the total access version. There should be one login but the total access is only unlocked for adults.

Other than wanting people to pay for both why?

Netflix has freaking Narcos and Dave Chappelle stand up but they also have Barbie cartoons and Secret Life of Pets. HBO has kids programs and also Game of Thrones. Cartoon Network has their regular programming and Adult Swim. In the 90s, you had FOX Kids airing on the same network that had stuff like the X-Files. And then even music streaming services you have gangsta rappers and rockstars talking about killing and/or doing drugs on the same service that has music from The Wiggles or Hannah Montana or whoever kids listen to now

I don't see any logic in having 2 separate streaming services unless it's just that you want people to pay for 2 services.

See my post just above yours, but, still, sure...pay twice. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"