Disney to pull films from Netflix and start its own streaming service

OK just goes with what I said that they would want people to pay for both
Well it's sort of like how PlayStation wants people to play for PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Vue. There's no bundle for both. Ideally though, Disney should figure out some sort of bundled service. Plus, you can still watch Hulu and not pay for the premium services.

Disney should do the same but they could always give the kid access version a different name or subtitle to the total access version. There should be one login but the total access is only unlocked for adults.

Exactly. Or even have "child lock" settings like lame parents (my dad) try to place to block channels they don't want their kids to see.

Well it's sort of like how PlayStation wants people to play for PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Vue. There's no bundle for both. Ideally though, Disney should figure out some sort of bundled service. Plus, you can still watch Hulu and not pay for the premium services.

I think that's a bit different lol. One is for tv and the other one is for games.

Other than wanting people to pay for both why?

Netflix has freaking Narcos and Dave Chappelle stand up but they also have Barbie cartoons and Secret Life of Pets. HBO has kids programs and also Game of Thrones. Cartoon Network has their regular programming and Adult Swim. In the 90s, you had FOX Kids airing on the same network that had stuff like the X-Files. And then even music streaming services you have gangsta rappers and rockstars talking about killing and/or doing drugs on the same service that has music from The Wiggles or Hannah Montana or whoever kids listen to now

I don't see any logic in having 2 separate streaming services unless it's just that you want people to pay for 2 services.

As for why Blackman, it's probably branding. Disney doesn't really release R-rated movies, but now they will own a studio and distributor that does. Disney is probably squeamish about having stuff like Narcos and Dave Chappelle on the "Disney streaming service." ABC is still ABC at the end of the day. Disney may own it, but it's not the Disney Network channel. It's still ye olde ABC.

So this way they can still own and profit from it all without having to brand the adult content as "Walt Disney Presents the hot new streaming show with lots of sex, blood, cursing, and gore!"

I think that's a bit different lol. One is for tv and the other one is for games.

Not really. PlayStation Plus and PSN has movies, TV and games. Sony used PSN and PlayStation Plus and NOT PlayStation Vue to launch POWERS.

As for why Blackman, it's probably branding. Disney doesn't really release R-rated movies, but now they will own a studio and distributor that does. Disney is probably squeamish about having stuff like Narcos and Dave Chappelle on the "Disney streaming service." ABC is still ABC at the end of the day. Disney may own it, but it's not the Disney Network channel. It's still ye olde ABC.

So this way they can still own and profit from it all without having to brand the adult content as "Walt Disney Presents the hot new streaming show with lots of sex, blood, cursing, and gore!"

I don't think anyone will care nor would it hurt the Disney brand to have mature content on the streaming service. That's silly.

Again if it's like how Netflix has their Kids stuff completely separate if they want.

And the streaming service, in theory, would already have Star Wars where people are getting limbs chopped off or the MCU which has people getting shot fairly regularly next to their Disney cartoons.

I'm not buying the "branding" excuse.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will care nor would it hurt the Disney brand to have mature content on the streaming service. That's silly.

You say it's silly but look at what Bob Iger had to say about it. He's the CEO and the guy that spearheaded this deal. The point is, Disney would have other banners to release adult films like Touchstone or what have you rather than putting the Disney logo in front of an R-rated feature. I'm not saying he knows more or better than we do, but based on what he says, that's the direction they are going. This is my guess on the logic they are using.

I think they might want to keep content separate. So the FX and FXX content will go on Hulu. Star Wars, Marvel, Disney animation goes on Disney streaming service. The League and Justified go on Hulu.

You make the Netflix comparison, but Disney isn't Netflix at the end of the day.

Or if they want they just put everything on Hulu. Or not use the Disney name on the Disney streaming service.

Disney doesn't brand everything they own. It's not Disney's ABC, Disney's Freeform, Disney's ESPN. Pixar and Touchstone Pictures don't have "A Walt Disney Company" under their logo from what I see.

They could just call the services "XYZ" and put everything on there, but then they wouldn't get people paying for 2 services. Which is the primary reason for if they have Hulu and the new thing be a separate service.

And obviously Disney isn't Netflix but they damn sure are trying to be

Not really. PlayStation Plus and PSN has movies, TV and games. Sony used PSN and PlayStation Plus and NOT PlayStation Vue to launch POWERS.

Looking it up...Plus gives you a free games every month while Vue gives you television channels. You can buy movies/tv/games but thats not the same as subscription service. But having so many umbrellas will probably be why Playstation will have trouble keeping people around. Just reading about it has me confused with PSN/PSP/PSV.

It's like with Hulu, they just started their live streaming service but its separate from main Hulu.

Looking it up...Plus gives you a free games every month while Vue gives you television channels. You can buy movies/tv/games but thats not the same as subscription service. But having so many umbrellas will probably be why Playstation will have trouble keeping people around. Just reading about it has me confused with PSN/PSP/PSV.

It's like with Hulu, they just started their live streaming service but its separate from main Hulu.
My point is this, PSN and Plus are not exclusive to games. Powers was an original series you could only get on PlayStation Network.

Whereas Vue lets you get existing TV channels rather than just like a singular streaming content service.

What a shame it won’t have runaways. It’s so hard to get a copy of that legally here in Australia and I was hoping it might help out.

Oh well, back to praying at the shrine

Reading that articles makes me realise how much of a mountain Disney are climbing against Netflix. 40 million subscribers to just break even is a tall order even for a company as large as Disney. The worst thing? They are essentially going to be relying mostly on Marvel, Star Wars and their library of existing films and content to win people over, and that IMO is a colossal error. Without consistent new content like what Netflix produces I don't see what the appeal to their new service is going to be. People who want Star Wars or Marvel or the animated movies are simply going to buy the blu-rays/digital downloads for the ones they want. Netflix is a wash with original TV shows and original movies in conjunction with the films they have streaming rights for. If Disney don't have enough original content this streaming service is going to be a bust.

They should also be giving fans access to the 1990s Marvel animated cartoons. Give fans 1990s Spider-Man and X-Men, which to my knowledge aren't available legal streaming or VOD anywhere. Also Gargoyles and the entirety of Disney Afternoon shows.

With the cost of exclusive Star Wars/ MCU movies content, the Star Wars live action series (apparently 100M) and the announced MCU mini-series (which I imagine cost more than the likes of Daredevil and Iron Fist), what will be the monthly subscription fee for this streaming service? If they do it in the US/ Canada only I guess it's around 40-50 dollars a month without initial discount (if any) to cover the cost (to have access to all content of course, I don't know whether Disney will divide users into different tiers with different prices and different levels of access).

I can't see them charging more than $15 or so. They have to keep it affordable, families on budgets who are already paying a ton of money for internet and cable aren't going to drop another $40 just to watch Disney shows.

With the cost of exclusive Star Wars/ MCU movies content, the Star Wars live action series (apparently 100M) and the announced MCU mini-series (which I imagine cost more than the likes of Daredevil and Iron Fist), what will be the monthly subscription fee for this streaming service? If they do it in the US/ Canada only I guess it's around 40-50 dollars a month without initial discount (if any) to cover the cost (to have access to all content of course, I don't know whether Disney will divide users into different tiers with different prices and different levels of access).
That seems ridiculous compared to the price of Netflix which has a very broad content offering including costly first party material. If they want to compete they will need to price lower than that IMO.

No they arent going to charge such an absurd price. That'd be $600 a year. That's multiple times more than the combined cost of every other major streaming service combined. And its be unjustifiable as far as the streaming market is concerned. Other services already offer 1080p and 4K and HDR content for a reasonable monthly fee. At the moment Disney can't really offer any technical quality level that far exceeds 4K and HDR so on a technical level their streaming service will be equal to Netflix's quality. And the content Disney will be providing may be very popular but all those films and cable shows can be bought at reasonable prices on physical discs and from other digital distributors like Vudu and Amazon and Google and iTunes. And Disney's exclusive streaming content wont be enough by itself to justify an absurd monthly price.

When disney announced this they indicated they'd compete with Netflix and other streaming services in content and price. They'll probably start out at $10 a month for 1080p and charge a few dollars more for a 4K subscription. Then, like Netflix, they'll incrementally raise the price every couple years.

Last edited:
They said it will start at price point reflecting the fact they lack a library like Netflix. So this will start cheaper than Netflix. I am guessing like 8 bucks at first.

Hmm, yeah maybe they will set their price competitive at first, and follow Netflix's model (i.e. selling for 10 dollar per month to 5 million households instead of 50 per month to 1 million). But I think it's reported that Netflix is willing to spend lots of money to buy original content and suffer loss though (I read somewhere that their bought original content isn't depreciated because they argue that those content will be in their library for indefinite life).

I thought the point of cutting cable was to save money. At this rate, assuming you're not piggybacking on someone else's account, it costs more to sign up for all these streaming services.

Back in my day, all you needed was Netflix and Hulu and you were set. Now you need Amazon, HBO Go, all these channel apps and that's not including if you want live TV.

I only have Hulu/Netflix myself. I am happy with those. I am assuming Disney will allow some form of bundle to save me some money with Hulu. My GF though has Prime, so we have that as well LOL!

Oh, and my WWE Network :oldrazz:

I only have Hulu/Netflix myself. I am happy with those. I am assuming Disney will allow some form of bundle to save me some money with Hulu. My GF though has Prime, so we have that as well LOL!

Oh, and my WWE Network :oldrazz:
tumblr_inline_nsuny6tJbT1rol1w1_500.gif

I thought the point of cutting cable was to save money. At this rate, assuming you're not piggybacking on someone else's account, it costs more to sign up for all these streaming services.

My cable part of my verizon fios is $55. Add netflix, prime and say I did sony streaming tv Im better off keeping fios for now until it all gets cheaper. Just too much right now to stream all these options. I pity the person who stream espn, cbs, netflix, prime, hulu at once

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"