Disney to Unveil System to Bypass DVD Ownership

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
http://www.mediabuyerplanner.com/entry/45914/disney-to-unveil-system-to-bypass-dvd-ownership/

Disney is expected to unveil technology next month that will give consumers “access rights” to movies and TV shows, allowing them to pay a single price for permanent access to content across the web, mobile devices, and cable services that allow on-demand viewing.
The technology, known as Keychest, allows users to purchase rights to a movie from a participating store, and the user’s accounts with other participating services, such as mobile providers or VOD cable services, show the content as available for viewing, the Wall Street Journal reports. The movies reside with the particular delivery company, and the user can access the movie from any device. This could mean an end to the necessity of owning of physical DVDs.
Disney has not named any other participating companies.
If successful, Keychest could conquer the hurdles that are holding back widespread adoption of movie downloads, mainly the difficulty of playing movies on any device other than a computer, and limited computer storage space.
DVD sales have plunged by 25% for some studios, weakening the studios’ business model. Keychest, though it may not be profitable for as many as five years, could bring the category “up to a healthy state where we can expect growth in the future,” says Bob Chapek, president of home entertainment at Disney Studios.

They won't stop dvd's for a loooooong time.

i dont think i like this. i feel like they want to make tangible things obsolete

Well there goes cybering with CC....****:(

As far as finding ways to legally watch movies digitally goes, this seems like a good idea. You know, until people start doling out (or "sharing") their access codes to anyone who wants to watch a movie they bought. Then here come the bandwidth restrictions, which will violate the ownership rights of people who just like watching a single movie frequently for whatever reason.

Matter of time. This is the future. The days of the shelf are numbered.

Hey, more room for my books.

What's that? The Kindle? Then what the hell am I supposed to put on my shelf, Hallmark figurines?!

Hey, more room for my books.

What's that? The Kindle? Then what the hell am I supposed to put on my shelf, Hallmark figurines?!

im sure even then they'll have holographic hallmark figurines

I'm not sure why people don't like this. It's obvious that the new media model is downloaded content not tangible media. We can all blame iTunes.

I have enough room for my 2 bookcases, and I have shelf space for some more movies. Besides, if the internet goes down (which it sometimes does thanks to Comcast), I can still watch a movie.

If the internet goes down you can still watched previously downloaded media. Not all downloaded content is based entirely on streaming media.

I'd rather physically own dvds. I would construct a large bank with DVDs piled inside and I would swim in it...Scrooge style.

The only issue that going digital would have, is storage space and the ability to carry it with you whenever you want. If this service unequivocally eliminates these two factors, then I can't possibly see how that isn't the ultimate form of content distribution.

I think we'd all rather physically own DVDs but just because that's what we want now... but that's not the way of the future.

Think about all the extra money that you're spending when you buy a DVD... You pay for packaging, manufacturing, shipping, and alot of things that aren't necessary. That means that less of the money that you spend goes to the artists and creative people behind what you bought.

Getting rid of all of that means that we can start giving money directly to artists. Think about all the artist that could put their work out to be purchased without going through a major studio or big record labels.

I think we'd all rather physically own DVDs but just because that's what we want now... but that's not the way of the future.

Think about all the extra money that you're spending when you buy a DVD... You pay for packaging, manufacturing, shipping, and alot of things that aren't necessary. That means that less of the money that you spend goes to the artists and creative people behind what you bought.

Getting rid of all of that means that we can start giving money directly to artists. Think about all the artist that could put their work out to be purchased without going through a major studio or big record labels.

**** the future. None of this will matter when Captain Trips has devoured the world's population. :o

the online thing will work for me only if they are cheaper. I often pay less for the physical DVD through amazon than one from iTunes that goes on my iPod.

In the future, all media will be digital, but they'll still find a way for you to spend 5 whole minutes unwrapping it.

Independent film makers have their movies released in physical formats as well.

**** the future. None of this will matter when Captain Trips has devoured the world's population. :o

:funny:

the online thing will work for me only if they are cheaper. I often pay less for the physical DVD through amazon than one from iTunes that goes on my iPod.

Well that's the point. Right now it's best to charge high or same prices for your media regardless of whether or not it is a physical media. This way you can get the most profits.

When everything is digital the cost will plummet.

this seems like a good idea. You know, until people start doling out (or "sharing") their access codes to anyone who wants to watch a movie they bought.

No different than when people used to burn their CD's for friends.

No different than when people used to burn their CD's for friends.
I don't think giving your access codes to your friends would be a problem. It's going to be a problem when people create databases online of free access codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"