Disney+

Weird, considering Dumbo is there in it's original... form.

But, then again, we ain't ever seeing Song of the South again.

I did notice they're including some warnings on some of their older stuff about "culturally outdated" content, which is...interesting. I'm actually glad they're not whitewashing this stuff completely, as the bigoted ways of Old Hollywood should never be swept under a rug. This stuff needs to be taught and remembered, because I think already a lot of people today are lacking knowledge of the historical context surrounding the "SJW agenda" they like to rail against so much.

I don't know if it's truly clickbait cause as you said it does ruin some visual gags which The Simpsons was chock full of.
It is to me in that they don't give you any indication what the article is about, forcing you to click on it to find out what the supposed problem is. Which for once it really is a problem.

Was hoping to see "The Happiest Millionaire" with Tommy Steele but it's not there.

And I can't believe they messed with The Simpsons that way. As a studio built on animation, Disney should understand how important the original aspect ratio is.

What drives me nuts about Netflix is how it auto plays trailers when ever you’re hovering over something or scrolling through. I HATE that. They need to make an option for turning that off, imo. It makes it my least-favorite streaming app to log onto because I know I’m about to get assaulted with previews for god-knows-what they’re featuring that day and just hoping it won’t be too loud or obnoxious, lol.
That's a very fair point. I usually have the volume off until I actually put something on, so I actually didn't consider that.

I'm gonna hold off on signing up for this until next year, as the new Marvel shows are the main draw for me. But it's great that most of you seem happy with the content available thus far.
I’m really looking forward to the Marvel shows and stuff like the Mandalorian. Are there other shows planned outside of Marvel and Star Wars?

I’m really looking forward to the Marvel shows and stuff like the Mandalorian. Are there other shows planned outside of Marvel and Star Wars?
Yeah, they've got a bunch of non-scripted shows up there already, as well as that new High School Musical series, but some other scripted stuff in the pipeline outside of the Star Wars or Marvel shows includes Pixar's first series, Monsters at Work, a Lizzie McGuire revival, a basketball show from David E. Kelly called Big Shot, a comedy starring Gina Rodriguez called Diary of a Female President, and a show based off the book/movie Love, Simon. They've also got Muppets and Chip & Dale shows in the works, but I think those are just gonna be a series of shorts.

Yeah, they've got a bunch of non-scripted shows up there already, as well as that new High School Musical series, but some other scripted stuff in the pipeline outside of the Star Wars or Marvel shows includes Pixar's first series, Monsters at Work, a Lizzie McGuire revival, a basketball show from David E. Kelly called Big Shot, a comedy starring Gina Rodriguez called Diary of a Female President, and a show based off the book/movie Love, Simon.
Oh right, thanks for that. I will be interested to see how their non-franchise original material rates against what Netflix puts out. I’m probably locked into both (as well as Amazon Prime) for life regardless (outside of crazy price increases), but I’d love if this competition can push all of them to create a bunch of original series and films beyond the level we’re used to.

Oh right, thanks for that. I will be interested to see how their non-franchise original material rates against what Netflix puts out. I’m probably locked into both (as well as Amazon Prime) for life regardless (outside of crazy price increases), but I’d love if this competition can push all of them to create a bunch of original series and films beyond the level we’re used to.
Yeah, healthy competition's a good thing, which I think is the only reason WB would ever get off their ass and give us a Green Lantern show with a proper budget on HBO Max, lol. If not for Netflix/Disney+ etc. I'm sure they would've been happy to relegate their DC heroes to the chump change budgets of the CW for eternity. :funny:

This streaming war is gonna be GREAT for the superhero genre, I think.

Yeah, healthy competition's a good thing, which I think is the only reason WB would ever get off their ass and give us a Green Lantern show with a proper budget on HBO Max, lol. If not for Netflix/Disney+ etc. I'm sure they would've been happy to relegate their DC heroes to the chump change budgets of the CW for eternity. :funny:

This streaming war is gonna be GREAT for the superhero genre, I think.
Haha. Are the CW shows doing quite well though? I don’t have much idea about US viewing figures/ratings. Also what happened with the DC app? Is that doing well/badly?

I really want to see GL be a big thing in film and series. That’s a big set of characters you can have as a persistent part of a DC universe.

Yes, I’m really hopeful. Netflix and Amazon Prime have been around a while now and along with BT Sport here, have forced the main cable operator (Sky) to totally revamp what it does and offer much more services at better value for money. But Disney is a new massive entrant that has the back catalogue and rights to really shake things up going forward. A successful WB offering can help take that into orbit.

Haha. Are the CW shows doing quite well though? I don’t have much idea about US viewing figures/ratings. Also what happened with the DC app? Is that doing well/badly?

I really want to see GL be a big thing in film and series. That’s a big set of characters you can have as a persistent part of a DC universe.

Yes, I’m really hopeful. Netflix and Amazon Prime have been around a while now and along with BT Sport here, have forced the main cable operator (Sky) to totally revamp what it does and offer much more services at better value for money. But Disney is a new massive entrant that has the back catalogue and rights to really shake things up going forward. A successful WB offering can help take that into orbit.
The CW shows are highly profitable for them, largely because they cost so relatively little. So they would've been perfectly happy to keep trucking along with that business model with their DC characters that have slim film prospects if it weren't for the new streaming boom and their desire to compete with the big dogs on that frontier. The ONLY company that has the kind of IP catalogue that can compete with Disney's is WB, so it's great to see them finally forced to throw their hat into the ring there and commit some actual money and attention to these things.

The DC Universe app isn't sharing their numbers, which in the streaming world usually means they're bad, lol.

Soon we'll revert back to the status quo of only two major streaming services, except instead of Netflix and Hulu it will be Disney+ and HBO max.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The CW shows are highly profitable for them, largely because they cost so relatively little. So they would've been perfectly happy to keep trucking along with that business model with their DC characters that have slim film prospects if it weren't for the new streaming boom and their desire to compete with the big dogs on that frontier. The ONLY company that has the kind of IP catalogue that can compete with Disney's is WB, so it's great to see them finally forced to throw their hat into the ring there and commit some actual money and attention to these things.

The DC Universe app isn't sharing their numbers, which in the streaming world usually means they're bad, lol.
Thanks for that info. Yes it’s awesome that WB will be forced to get involved properly. Hopefully the DC app gets rolled over into a WB app with much more content and investment to compete with the rest. I’d get all 4 for sure if they deliver on quality and quantity of new and existing material.

Just discovered they have a bunch of the Donald Duck/Chip 'n' Dale shorts I used to love as a kid. Hope they get more, because there are at least a couple others I remember that aren't on here yet.

Soon we'll revert back to the status quo of only two major streaming services, except instead of Netflix and Hulu it will be Disney+ and HBO max.

giphy.gif

Disney owns majority share in Hulu so they wont close it. They want to keep that for the more mature content.

Disney+ better lead to a proper Gargoyles revival on Disney+ or Hulu.

Disney owns majority share in Hulu so they wont close it. They want to keep that for the more mature content.

Disney+ better lead to a proper Gargoyles revival on Disney+ or Hulu.
Didn't mean shutting down the others. They'll just be the most successful. They'll make Netflix the Amazon Prime Video or Crackle of the streaming world.

giphy.gif

No idea, but I see the good lady Flick took this one for me. On a related note, I wonder if Disney's planning to release all episodes at once for their respective Marvel shows.

I can tell I'm gonna be watching a lot of old stuff on here. Just discovered a movie from the '70's called The Black Hole, and it looks like it's just my cup o' tea. Might have to find a good stopping point in my current Clone Wars binge to give that a look, lol.

Didn't mean shutting down the others. They'll just be the most successful. They'll make Netflix the Amazon Prime Video or Crackle of the streaming world.

giphy.gif
Amazon just needs to buy Netflix out. Sure, they'll inherit their insane $12 billion+ debt, but they've got the deep pockets to afford that, and they'll also inherit 50 million more subscribers. Their content matches up perfectly already so they wouldn't need to make any big changes. Only the combined forces of Netflix and Amazon could pose a threat to Disney and WB and their established IP's, imo.

I have been watching the Muppet show from 2015 with my friend who missed it. God do I love this show. :funny:

We just keep on finding things to watch. It's kind of overwhelming, but in a good way. It's like the opposite of Netflix, when I am legit surprised something is there.

Amazon just needs to buy Netflix out. Sure, they'll inherit their insane $12 billion+ debt, but they've got the deep pockets to afford that, and they'll also inherit 50 million more subscribers. Their content matches up perfectly already so they wouldn't need to make any big changes. Only the combined forces of Netflix and Amazon could pose a threat to Disney and WB and their established IP's, imo.
Disney will end up buying Netflix. And then we will get Stranger Things, the Golden Years.

I honestly doubt Disney would have any interest. They're not hurting for content. Amazon has some quality shows, but they've struggled to get those buzzworthy titles. They've got Lord of the Rings coming up, as well as the Wheel of Time and The Dark Tower series, and Jack Ryan makes some noise for them while Mrs. Maisel gets them some awards love, so if they got Stranger Things, The Crown, etc. on top of those, they could be a much more formidable player in the game.

Development of 1st large scale national SVOD based service as I remember in my attempt to track changes over time:
*Late 2000's Netflix as a mailorder DVD/Blu-Ray service back when the internet was still a cpu based thing and google results were more fragmented and the net just felt different.

*Around 2007 SVOD started up with a rotating selection of bottom of the Walmart bin random movies. More TV shows later added at some point as well... This is a time when cell phones were still cell phones and not so much smartphones (a bit more advanced but still Android was only in it's freeware based stateges still where manufacturers not locked in agreement with Google. Apple of course setting the smartphone standard around this time as well.)

*Around 2013 1st original content started to pop-up with House of Cards and Hemlock Grove. Perception was these were essentially cheap content.

*About a year after debut of Orange is the New Black in 2014 Netflix shows started to be seen akin to premium cable moreso. A very complex taste based question system could go through to tailor movies for list that actually seemed to work really well.

*At some point filtering content became trickier. Could no longer organize lists of movies by star rating.

*Around 2015 the content wave started to hit... Ability to make and save movie reviews removed to stars only.

*2016 Original Content started to take over. Lists now less random (before most bizarre of categories by creative descriptions this lessened with time). 4K option may've been added this year or year after.

*2017 Ability to assign star ratings to movies removed now just a thumbs up or thumbs down for personal sake. Original content pretty much everywhere and very hard to find what want to watch as original content overload. The seesaw perception on Netflix shows quality had dipped back. The interactive videos on content hover over may've begun this year or 2016.

2018 Emphasis on quality more so than quantity or churning stuff out but became harder to discern what's new or good to watch.

2019: Just a labyrinth to go through to find a movie and 4K option now available for streaming Netflix SVOD since 2010 now akin more to a TV station. A subtle change over time as technology evolved with problems just as much as advancements in terms of service over the years too.

*Of course there's also the price variations and device compatibility changes over the years too. I remember like 6 years ago Microsoft Silverlight I think it was called had to mess with some editing feature to keep the movie from skipping. There is much less doing that now as well as fewer server based crashes around the holidays where unable to view content as the infrastructure that is Netflix has grown...

What drives me nuts about Netflix is how it auto plays trailers when ever you’re hovering over something or scrolling through. I HATE that. They need to make an option for turning that off, imo. It makes it my least-favorite streaming app to log onto because I know I’m about to get assaulted with previews for god-knows-what they’re featuring that day and just hoping it won’t be too loud or obnoxious, lol.

Netflix's evolution over the years has just been a step back as much as a step forward too often.

Hopefully studio's can advance the notion of SVOD even further towards a new market and way in which high cost television can be made with a more user friendly interface.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"