Disney+

Why are you guys funding this?! Empire and Revenge of the Sith is right there.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Maybe it's got the most views because it's the first chronological Star Wars movie and newcomers go to that one as a starting point? I don't hate The Phantom Menace and I have fond memories of the hype around it in 1999 but between this news and the theatrical rerelease coming in at # 2 at the box office last weekend, I'm a little confused about the attention it's getting all of a sudden. Like, yeah there's nostalgia and Star Wars is insanely popular but it's not even the most well-liked of the prequels.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one. Maybe it's got the most views because it's the first chronological Star Wars movie and newcomers go to that one as a starting point? I don't hate The Phantom Menace and I have fond memories of the hype around it in 1999 but between this news and the theatrical rerelease coming in at # 2 at the box office last weekend, I'm a little confused about the attention it's getting all of a sudden. Like, yeah there's nostalgia and Star Wars is insanely popular but it's not even the most well-liked of the prequels.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It chronologically comes first, so I guess that many people are watching it, but still doesn’t account for the many established fans doing rewatches.

And then again people are on this kick about getting justice for old movies that got a bad wrap in the past. But I don’t get it for Phantom Menace.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It chronologically comes first, so I guess that many people are watching it, but still doesn’t account for the many established fans doing rewatches.

And then again people are on this kick about getting justice for old movies that got a bad wrap in the past. But I don’t get it for Phantom Menace.
I think the most vocal group seem to be 20somethings who were kids when the prequels came out. I find it to be more of a positive thing than anything because some of those actors, specifically Jake Lloyd, Ahmed Best and Hayden Christensen, got a ton of unwarranted hate on the internet when those movies came out and now there's been a turnaround.

Remember, Disney+ only has the Special Editions, so, you know, the hardcore OT fans aren't watching them on Disney+.

The irony is it’s the hardcore SW fans who proclaim to hate the special editions and prequels are the ones who watch and analyze them the most. Most likely owning every copy lol

Remember, Disney+ only has the Special Editions, so, you know, the hardcore OT fans aren't watching them on Disney+.
The irony is it’s the hardcore SW fans who proclaim to hate the special editions and prequels are the ones who watch and analyze them the most. Most likely owning every copy lol
Lucas forced everyone's hand by putting new additions on the DVD releases and again for the Blu-ray, the latter of which was where we got the infamous "NOOO!" from Vader at the end of ROTJ. That almost overtook the CGI Jabba's Palace performance as my personal worst addition to the movies. Really Return of the Jedi is the movie I take most issue with what was added in. The only improvement I can think of is the John Williams score at the end replacing "Yub Nub". Sorry but I prefer that to an Ewok song closing out the OT. :o

I'm at least glad I still have my original version DVDs that were released in 2006 but I really don't see any harm at all in Disney putting them on Disney+. I'm certain that Lucas put it in the contract that the original pre-Special Edition OT was never to see the light of day again when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Lucas forced everyone's hand by putting new additions on the DVD releases and again for the Blu-ray, the latter of which was where we got the infamous "NOOO!" from Vader at the end of ROTJ. That almost overtook the CGI Jabba's Palace performance as my personal worst addition to the movies. Really Return of the Jedi is the movie I take most issue with what was added in. The only improvement I can think of is the John Williams score at the end replacing "Yub Nub". Sorry but I prefer that to an Ewok song closing out the OT. :o

I'm at least glad I still have my original version DVDs that were released in 2006 but I really don't see any harm at all in Disney putting them on Disney+. I'm certain that Lucas put it in the contract that the original pre-Special Edition OT was never to see the light of day again when Disney bought Lucasfilm.
God I hate the CGI dancers he added in RotJ and Jabba being added into ANH. Why?

God I hate the CGI dancers he added in RotJ and Jabba being added into ANH. Why?
He always wanted Jabba in there for some reason but it's so redundant. Also in no way would the Jabba that's established everywhere else outside of that specific scene would tolerate someone stepping on his tail. :o

All things considered, it's still more tolerable than the assault on the eyes and ears that is the CGI performance from the Max Rebo Band. The original version is so much better and doesn't completely change the atmosphere in Jabba's Palace. The updated version also completely dumps on the hard work of the puppeteers in 1983.

I'm assuming the title having "Episode I" helped it get the most streams. Also for a lot of gen z and generation Alpha, the first three films probably look dated for them hence why Episode I got more streams.

I hope this feature will also be available for subscribers outside the US, too...

I always wanted to have access to ESPN as I want to watch Caitlin Clark WNBA debut. ESPN/ABC advertise it endlessly that it will stream on Disney+ during the NBA playoffs games. But so far nothing indicates that it will be streaming and available on Disney+Japan😓

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"