• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Disney's Animated Marvel movie

Metamorpho1977

You jack wagon!
Reaction score
So, just out of speculation here. Most of us have grown up with real animated movies from Disney. The music, the spectacle, the great animation. What marvel character do you think would work in that style? Seriously.

I think if the right creative mind got behind it, Spider-Man could be interesting.

Mary Jane as the next Disney Princess?

I personally would love it, but I don't think the comics fans are ready for "Spider-Man ruined" by 3-5 musical numbers. It'd be comically cringe-inducing, like the superhero Broadway musicals.

In all seriousness, you'll notice none of the Disney traditional animation (ala Princess and the Frog) take place in a modern urban setting, at least, not eye level, which is part of the reason why they're so good at transporting us to another time and place, somewhere with real historical roots, but that we don't see constantly. That's their brand, though the Pixar movies are a slightly different story, I don't know that many comic book heroes offer that.

A CGI-film featuring Spider-Man with a Disney touch could be interesting, to say the least. But I don't think there'd be much there, beyond heart, that you couldn't get from the films or Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon series.

A traditionally animated film, perhaps centering around the 60s and featuring the Janet Van Dyne and Ant-Man as main characters could be very interesting. She has the princess-y ness in her father's exceptional scientific research. She has the requisite single parent issue. The 60s music, something very modern, pop standards that still ring today, a little 60s soda pop joint Twist ala Chubby Checker, a good dose of Motown hits with Temptations and Marvin Gaye, a little rock ala Bob Dylan, the Beatles and the like. Just a very old-school pop-American vibe with the superhero community forming the background study of a great adventure as The Wasp deals with her past with her father, her future with this Hank Pym and her incredible powers and how they affect who she is. Could be the first bi-racial Disney princess too, if we mix the 616 and 1610 versions. That'd be the direction I'd go.

Marvel hates Mary Jane so I doubt that she would be a Marvel "princess"

The Silver Surfer screams for a space opera treatment.

Well, not like a real opera, of course. But if you're talking a 5-8 song Disney fare for kids, it has all the elements:

1) The happy-go-lucky-carefree-not-a-problem-in-the-world song of the people of the planet (Zenn-La).
2) The protagonist song (Norrin Rad).
3) The love interest song (Shalla Bal).
4) The villain song (Galactus).
5) The transformation song (Silver Surfer).
6) The drudgery-of-looking-for-planets-to-feed-this-big-galoot song (SS as the herald).
7) The rebellion/banishment song (3 parts----#2,3,&4).
8) The gratefulness song (Zenn-La).

There you go. (Wow, that looks like I put a whole lot of thought into that. Dadgummit, now everyone will think I'm gay instead of just another witty, straight man.)

Marvel hates Mary Jane so I doubt that she would be a Marvel "princess"

All true. I'm talking about being a Disney princess, since Disney doesn't hate her. I doubt she'd be a Disney Princess either because they're not going to do a feature traditional animation with Marvel characters.

You know what would be an interesting Marvel/Disney animation film? How about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Show how they were placed with the gypsies to grow. Maybe they encounter an evil sorcerer just as their powers are developing.

I have been saying Marvel, or DC I guess, should make a full fledged big budget animated movie for theaters with the bright colors and music and quality animation.

I would say that they should use a character that would NEVER work in a live action movie, because he/she would either seem too unreal, be too expensive, to convoluted a character, stuff like that.
Another thing would be that they are a big a bright character, why waist animation (waist might be too strong a word) on a dark and gritty character that might work in live action. In an animated movie Wolverine's bright yellow costume wouldn't look silly, Luke Cage's yellow shirt and tiara wouldn't look out of place.
(Even though he is DC) Nightwing's original costume with the big collar would be totally fine.
Something else to keep in mind is that this could launch that character into the spotlight, maybe pick a character that isn't well known.
Maybe make an Alpha Flight movie, or a FF movie.
big blue costumes, fighting aliens and all that they do. Space adventures, Dr. Doom, it would be great.

So I guess for now I am saying a Fantastic Four animated movie.
they are well known and bankable enough that the studio wouldn't have to worry about making money. But they are characters that might work best in a full fledged Disney styled animated movie rather than a live action movie.
FantasticFour3.jpg

to be honest i would not like a musical version of marvel characters. sure some songs in the disney movies were good. i just never liked the characters breaking into song. the best one i still love from way back was the song in jail in robin hood. they didn't break into song though, it was more of like background music. it was still a good song. i would however like to see the disney animators help marvel with their animation though. so far it has been sub par animation.

I didn't mean that the characters should break into song like in a Disney movie, I meant that the animation should be the same quality. Take maybe four years or something (like most traditionally animated Disney movies), have quality voice talent, have the movie's music scored by some big composer (no singing I agree), it would be a full length movie too, not just a half hour film, and big big and awesome.
Imagine the Fantastic Four movie, done in the traditional animation style of Iron Giant or Aladdin (minus the singing). The movie could be as big as you want it.
The Skrulls could invade Earth and only the Fantastic Four can stop them, maybe Galactus instead of Skrulls.
fantastic_four_524.jpg

I gotta admit... not a lot of characters lend themselves to a musical... which is why I made the suggestions I did. There's a certain charm to it, that probably won't appeal to most people that already enjoy the comics and cartoons as they are.

If it's just high quality animation, you can do that with ANY character or set of characters. FF would be quite nice because they're unlikely to 'get their due' any other way.

silver surfer and all the other cosmic characters would be great in animation. maybe see the saga of beta ray bill. or godhunter. that is when beta ray bill goes after galactus. mostly i would love thor to get the full blown disney treatment. have an epic story or just a retelling of ages of thunder.

Asgard in Disney animation would be glorious.

It would be good to see some better DTV marvel animations

OT: Why are people saying Marvel hates MJ?

The idea of Disney animation with the traditional disney style (exaggerated expressions, movements etc,) doesn't work for me, but a well animated film drawn with a traditional Marvel style would be cool.

Maybe they should start with an easy one. Like Power Pack.

It would be too cheesy to have characters spontaneously breaking into music but maybe it would work just having original Disney-esque songs as the soundtrack to the movie or juxtaposing action scenes with ones where characters are singing for realistic reasons. For instance, Mary Jane singing in a play while Spider-Man is out fighting crime.

I'm surprised Power Pack has never been adapted (except for that TV pilot 20 years ago). It seems like one of the most well known all-ages comics, even for people like me who never read it.

Although didn't the original series deal with some heavy mature stuff, like guns and drug abuse?

I want to see Disney do Daredevil. Elektra can be the princess and Daredevil can be the ne'er do well type that is trying for her affections. Kingpin can be the evil King and get Elton and Tim to do the songs and BAM Instant Disney classic.

I'm hoping that one day Pixar will make animated Marvel movies. After seeing The Incredibles, I think it'll be amazing to see Fantastic Four, Spider-man, and The Avengers done in Pixar's studio.

I'm hoping that one day Pixar will make animated Marvel movies. After seeing The Incredibles, I think it'll be amazing to see Fantastic Four, Spider-man, and The Avengers done in Pixar's studio.

i'm more of a fan of 2d animation. although i loved reboot and war planets/shadow raiders- regional name.

Dazzler would be great for a traditional Disney animated film.

OT: Why are people saying Marvel hates MJ?

Because they've so aggressively pushed her out of the way for the last few years?

Back on topic, if Disney/Pixar did something with the FF that wasn't a musical, you know it'd be solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"