Do any of you man boobed dudes or ladies intend to be (or are) Stay-at-home-parents??

tzarinna said:
I can barely manage my own life. I give props to any women who works and takes care of a family. Even if they are married it still can seem like they are single parents. The husbands don't have too much in put(viewed from most of my freinds) and the kids tend to run to mom for everything due to this, and of course the husban runs to the wife for many things. I don't know how we out live men. Seems like a lot of stress.

I know of only a few stay at home moms and their husbands make very good money. Only one ever complained about not being able to handle rasing her kid, was quite depressed. She had a nursing degree, married a corporate lawyer, so they could afford to hire someone to come in and help with the house work.I couldn't find too much sympathy for her since I had women friends with 3 kids and were working full time, married too.

Every now and then I got that paternal desire. Just provide the seed and I'll raise it own my own, it comes and goes.
*he/she senses tingling*

I had parental in my head. I'm really tired.

I'm going to go take a nap now.
I'll be back later when I can better communicate my thoughts.

Ahura Mazda said:
Well you deserve a guy who at least makes it so it is your choice whether you even need to work or not.
Sometimes I get less than what I deserve. :(

Odin's Lapdog said:
your parents are alive and they never raised a superhero (although they were close)

who knows what their death may have done for you Nut when you were younger....

oh my, i'm using an example of a member's parents dying when they are younger as a means of giving someone a compliment, is nothing sacred?

:o

How do you know they didn't. You don't know my nightime activities. ;)

Daisy said:
I do.
dominatrix.jpg

Daisy said:
you have the wrong type of emotional scars to carry off being a superhero.

:doom:

Well, I think we first need to examine the reason that people are employed in the first place. I don't know too many people that just like to get up at 6 in the morning and go for a drive with everyone else. I don't know too many people that just love to be with their co-workers more than their loved ones. I don't know too many people that just love the atmosphere of the office more than the atmosphere of their home. I don't know too many people that like eating at a time when they may not be hungry because it's their "lunch hour."

So why do people do it? For a paycheck. If you had a billion dollars would you go sit in your cube tomorrow? I doubt it. So what do people do? They spend 8 + hours a day chasing a dollar bill. Many of us don't have a choice in the matter because we are stuck in the "employee" realm of income options. The book, "The Two-Income Trap" details the fact that the average family's expendable income is almost exactly the same as it was over 30 years ago. Why? Because 30 years ago, most homes were single income homes but they didn't have to pay for babysitters, day-care, gas for a second car, lunch for an additional working spouse and so on. Those costs typically offset the income generated by farming a second spouse out for a paycheck.

I said screw that and my wife agreed. We've been working our way out of the "employee" income realm over the last year plus and she is currently staying home with our 3 month old with no intention of working for another person the rest of her life. I'll be able to leave my current day job shortly and we'll both be stay-at-home parents. I didn't get married to leave my wife for 8 hours a day to fulfill someone else's dreams.

some people actually do enjoy what they do for a living ya know...

:(:(

you make work sound really bad.

If my wife had a stable enough job...sure, I'd love to.:up:

Odin's Lapdog said:
you have the wrong type of emotional scars to carry off being a superhero.

:doom:

You don't know the 1/2 of my scars. :(

Daisy said:
You don't know the 1/2 of my scars. :(
it's ok, it'll be alright

:)

*hugs*

alright i'll ammend my statment to say you're too self concious to go out in lycra

:p

Odin's Lapdog said:
does she work at the moment
Um, it was hypothetical. A sixteen year old generally doesn't have a wife.:confused:

Odin's Lapdog said:
some people actually do enjoy what they do for a living ya know...

:(:(

you make work sound really bad.
I didn't say people didn't enjoy what they do, what I said was if someone had enough money to where they could actually control their calendar and spend their Monday-Friday the way they chose instead of doing what a boss was telling them, I don't know too many people would prefer to be at work 40 hours per week over freedom. Be realistic - if they stopped paying you to do what you do, would you still go there? If not, then you don't love it, you're there for a paycheck.

I also never said work was bad. Anything worthwhile takes work. But who are you working for? I heard a successful person once say, the work you do will allow someone to live the ultimate lifestyle - that person will either be your boss or you.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing jobs. I'm just pro-freedom. We need doctors and salespeople and engineers and so on, but being able to be present for my daughter to raise her as we see fit is more important to us than something mundane like customer relationship management systems or data entry or selling a car to someone.

MakeMineMarvel said:
I didn't say people didn't enjoy what they do, what I said was if someone had enough money to where they could actually control their calendar and spend their Monday-Friday the way they chose instead of doing what a boss was telling them, I don't know too many people would prefer to be at work 40 hours per week over freedom. Be realistic - if they stopped paying you to do what you do, would you still go there? If not, then you don't love it, you're there for a paycheck.

I also never said work was bad. Anything worthwhile takes work. But who are you working for? I heard a successful person once say, the work you do will allow someone to live the ultimate lifestyle - that person will either be your boss or you.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing jobs. I'm just pro-freedom. We need doctors and salespeople and engineers and so on, but being able to be present for my daughter to raise her as we see fit is more important to us than something mundane like customer relationship management systems or data entry or selling a car to someone.
they don't pay me much at all to do what i do but i've chosen to do it and i don't mind what i'm doing, infact i'm quite eager to do my job and i've been known to work over the hours free of charge and even come in on the weekend to get things done with no hassle. i'm not saying i love it but i do enjoy it to some extent.

what you are talking mostly about is working for other people which i can understand cause at the moment what i'm doing is for my benefit as well as for others in the long run so i don't mind if it helps improving skills that i will lead later on in life at some point, that's fine.

true life is for the living and even though you may wish to take an active role as a parent, it's easy to fall off the wagon and have it take over. consider being an i.t. consultant and you spent 6 years away from work looking after your kids, you're practically out of the loop by the time you wanna get back to the workforce (that is if you do wanna).

even though companies do treat lots of their members like small cogs, there is a desire in people to want to fit in that wants their input into something to be appreciated and have work valued, not to mention if people are spending lots of time and money on education, they want to get the best out of it.

i am young though, perhaps i'm naiive about things.

Mr.Webs said:
it was just the way you said my wife as if you were married. that's all...

took me by suprise. i expect most old hypers to be older than me for some reason, doesn't really make sense.

Yeah...joined when I was twelve. Man...four years.:cool: Pretty awesome, huh?

It just kind of died. The people who enjoyed it left, and I didn't see a reason to continue it really. If people wanted it back, I would love to start it back up again, but...

Odin's Lapdog said:
they don't pay me much at all to do what i do but i've chosen to do it and i don't mind what i'm doing, infact i'm quite eager to do my job and i've been known to work over the hours free of charge and even come in on the weekend to get things done with no hassle. i'm not saying i love it but i do enjoy it to some extent.

what you are talking mostly about is working for other people which i can understand cause at the moment what i'm doing is for my benefit as well as for others in the long run so i don't mind if it helps improving skills that i will lead later on in life at some point, that's fine.

true life is for the living and even though you may wish to take an active role as a parent, it's easy to fall off the wagon and have it take over. consider being an i.t. consultant and you spent 6 years away from work looking after your kids, you're practically out of the loop by the time you wanna get back to the workforce (that is if you do wanna).

even though companies do treat lots of their members like small cogs, there is a desire in people to want to fit in that wants their input into something to be appreciated and have work valued, not to mention if people are spending lots of time and money on education, they want to get the best out of it.

i am young though, perhaps i'm naiive about things.
You're missing the point and the original question. If you had a billion dollars in the bank - would you go do what you do for the amount of hours you do it or would you go do other things that you would enjoy more?

You're not married and don't have a family, so the understanding of the desire to want to spend as much time as possible with your wife or newborn is lost on you right now. But even as a single guy, what is better - surfing, travelling, playing video games, etc. or working for someone else?

The point is this, if you have the income to where you don't have to go to work, who cares about being out of the loop? If you have the income, who cares about developing things like programming skills? You won't need them later in life if you have no need to use them to acquire a paycheck.

You're a human being - do you think you should be treated like a small cog?

MakeMineMarvel said:
You're missing the point and the original question. If you had a billion dollars in the bank - would you go do what you do for the amount of hours you do it or would you go do other things that you would enjoy more?

You're not married and don't have a family, so the understanding of the desire to want to spend as much time as possible with your wife or newborn is lost on you right now. But even as a single guy, what is better - surfing, travelling, playing video games, etc. or working for someone else?

The point is this, if you have the income to where you don't have to go to work, who cares about being out of the loop? If you have the income, who cares about developing things like programming skills? You won't need them later in life if you have no need to use them to acquire a paycheck.

You're a human being - do you think you should be treated like a small cog?

:up:

If I were independently wealthy, I'd definitely devote my time to my wife and family and pursue the things that I truly love doing like my music and writing rather that the things I do today to pay the bills.

P.S. - Congrats on the birth of your daughter, MMM. Just noticed that in your sig. :up:

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"