Do you accept the theory of evolution? - Part 1

images

Enough said.
:huh:

I'm a partial evolutionist. I don't believe we evolved from monkies. But I do believe humanity DID envolve to its enviroments.

No one believes we evolved from monkeys because we didnt. We and apes evolved from a common ancestor that wasnt a monkey. Why is this nonfactual point repeated ad nauseam?

Last edited:
[YT]35TbGjt-weA[/YT]

Lol are you referring to me saying monkeys arent simians because I agree :facepalm: to me. I have that feelin that you get when step on a garden hoe and the handle comes up and whacks you in the face. Astounded at my own mistake. Its a monday.

I accept micro-evolution, but not macro-evolution. The complexity of life, the universe, and everything just strikes me as too fine-tuned to have happened by chance. I mean, I can sit down in a Bio 101 class and my mind is blown by the intricacies of the tiniest little cell. It's amazing.

Plus...the universe is, what? 14.5 billion years old? And the earth only 4.5 billion. And in that 4.5 billion years there have been collisions, meteor bombardments, and who knows what else. I've seen some convincing math stats...the time just isn't there for life to just "appear" and then evolve into the mind-boggling diversity we see today.

I accept micro-evolution, but not macro-evolution. The complexity of life, the universe, and everything just strikes me as too fine-tuned to have happened by chance. I mean, I can sit down in a Bio 101 class and my mind is blown by the intricacies of the tiniest little cell. It's amazing.

Plus...the universe is, what? 14.5 billion years old? And the earth only 4.5 billion. And in that 4.5 billion years there have been collisions, meteor bombardments, and who knows what else. I've seen some convincing math stats...the time just isn't there for life to just "appear" and then evolve into the mind-boggling diversity we see today.

The natural universe doesnt care about our common sense which was shaped by our evolution on this planet so when it comes to science common sense doesnt matter. What you think is possible is irrelevant. Common sense says that a particle on earth shouldnt be connected to a particle across the universe, but quantum mechanics, physics, and science say they are so common sense is wrong. Math says there is enough time for life to occur in 4.5+ billion years. Thats accepted fact. And a recent discovery of a 4 billion year old rock shows that there was water on the planet at that time meaning that bombardment of the planet slowed down for periods long enough for water to form at various times throughout the planet's formation. This is leading scientists to believe that life may occur much quicker and rapidly under even the barest minimal conditions. Bombardment slows, water builds, life forms, bombardment begins, life wiped out, water recedes, and so on and so on. Eventually the earth reached a stable period long enough for life to take hold and evolve into more complex forms. And given the size of the universe, the amount of planets, stars, elements, and matter in the universe it is more likely that organisms are not unique to earth. Life exists out there. Simple or complex it exists and when you factor in probability the idea of organisms arising on this planet is highly likely. By way of asteroid or by way of chemical processes on early earth life arose here. There is so many things going on in our universe and so much went on during our planet's formation that to outright deny the possibility of life forming here and deny evolution occurring doesnt align with reason.

Also, because macro evolution is micro evolution just over a long period of time. So you cant accept one without the other. They are the exact same thing. Function and processes are all the same. The only difference is time scale. If you accept micro evolution and that it is has occurred over a long period of time then in point of fact you do accept macro evolution because that is macro evolution.

In short macro=micro over a long period of time.

Last edited:
I accept micro-evolution, but not macro-evolution.
The distinction is imaginary. They're the same thing.

J. J. Jameson said:
The complexity of life, the universe, and everything just strikes me as too fine-tuned to have happened by chance. I mean, I can sit down in a Bio 101 class and my mind is blown by the intricacies of the tiniest little cell. It's amazing.
This argument is so common it has a name: argument from ignorance. Easily refuted.

J. J. Jameson said:
Based on what?

So, what do you believe exactly? How'd humans get here in their current form?

Just to step in for a brief moment: Evolution is the absolute opposite of 'things got this way by chance'.

Evolution is the analysis of cause and effect, mathematics. Not chance, REASON. It connects dots, it doesn't say they came from nowhere.

It's the attempt to break down and detail each step of the process with an astounding amount of scrutiny - so much so that it has taken generations, and is still in the works as we speak.

So, what do you believe exactly? How'd humans get here in their current form?

We're still piecing that together. There are two major theories, but one is far more prevalent than the other right now (and seems the most likely).

For a quick rundown, here's a video that's only twelve-ish minutes and rather engaging:

[YT]ROwKq3kxPEA[/YT]

Remember, true science never claims to know everything, only that it pursues as much knowledge as is (increasingly) possible with honesty and scrutiny.

It's a method, not a gospel.

Just to step in for a brief moment: Evolution is the absolute opposite of 'things got this way by chance'.

Evolution is the analysis of cause and effect, mathematics. Not chance, REASON. It connects dots, it doesn't say they came from nowhere.

It's the attempt to break down and detail each step of the process with an astounding amount of scrutiny - so much so that it has taken generations, and is still in the works as we speak.
I see what you're saying, but stochastic processes do play a role - perhaps a very large role - in evolution. Genetic drift is the classic example.

We're still piecing that together. There are two major theories, but one is far more prevalent than the other right now (and seems the most likely).

For a quick rundown, here's a video that's only twelve-ish minutes and rather engaging:

[YT]ROwKq3kxPEA[/YT]

Remember, true science never claims to know everything, only that it pursues as much knowledge as is (increasingly) possible with honesty and scrutiny.

It's a method, not a gospel.

...We are?

I think the science is in on this one.

I'm a partial evolutionist. I don't believe we evolved from monkies. But I do believe humanity DID envolve to its enviroments.

Humanity didnt just pop into existance one day unless you believe in terminator timelines or alien seeding.

I don't know how anyone can look in the mirror and not see an ape.

A damn good looking ape, but an ape nonetheless.

Human arrogance, pride, and egotism that we could never be related to an animal. Take your pick. I think the resemblance between us and chimps is damn impossoble to ignore. When they "smile" especially.

chimp-for_rent_1.jpg

What I find odd is people will readily accept that we are mammals without a blink, but you connect us to apes and they lose their ****. I guess I just don't balk at that, nor see any reason to. I think its kind of cool that we as a species were able to climb our way up the ladder and do what we have done. I think its a beautiful thing that in the far spiral arm of the milky way on an insignificant pale blue dot in an immense cosmos a species was able to achieve what we have achieved despite the crap that has been slung at us by mother nature. Its pretty ****ing cool if you ask me, and I don't need to be told that I was crafted by a god to feel proud of us as a species.

Last edited:

"Only 4.5 billion."

I actually think that's the biggest flaw in your thinking. You are not appreciating how gigantic that number is. That is a long time.

13.7 Billion actually.

It's kind of sad that most people don't recognize they're part of the animal kingdom.

Wow, you guys really kicked that poor fella to the floor:whatever:

The way I see it...we share similiarties with apes. But that doesn't mean we are linked to them. It's just a similiar. That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"