The Dark Knight Rises Do you believe Batman Quit?

hehehe so true but so funny... that batman smile with the kill was honestly one of the biggest wtf moments i've seen in a comic book movie... hilarious but so wrong of the character

Reeally ???

That was how Bob Kane's Batman was, in his early days (around 1940's) and yes he had a gun and he killed occasionally.

All movies are valid interpretations of Batman since they are influenced by some version of the character.

I didn't know that about the original Kane character... All the comics I've read and other iterations have pretty much made it canon though that he will NEVER kill, pretty much fact just like Superman's flying ability came into play later in the comics and are now considered essential for the character and to not have that element in an adaptation would be stupid. The same thing for the killing thing for Batman... just because the early year of Batman in the comics showed him killing, that's not the current canon now. He doesn't kill, plain and simple and that's been the accepted facet of his character for greater than 40+ years.

So in light of that, true an adaptation shouldn't be slavish to the comic or source material but basics have to be achieved. Batman doesn't kill. That's a completely key part of his character now for so long and having him so sadistically kill n Returns with Keaton smiling with that **** eating grin is very much out of character and about as stupid as making a Superman movie that wouldn't have flight a major part of Supes abilities (whoops, another Burton and Jon Peters idea). Keaton looks horribly stupid with that smile much like the idiotic dialogue in Batman Begins or TDK's horrible Bale Batman voice...

I digress however, having Batman quit has me in two minds. Part of me is like Bruce Wayne the comic character wouldn't ever do that, ever but again this is an adaptation. For the story purposes of the movie it works brilliantly as an ending. However I didn't like it very much from the context that it's very out of character for comic book Bruce Wayne to do. There are aspects I like about it and things I hate.

I will just quote myself -

Keeping an open mind helps, consider this to be an elseworlds take on Batman. In fact, All movies made on comics based superheroes are else world takes on the characters, they follow the directors (and writes) vision of the super hero.

Having said that, for TDKR, Nolan and Goyer's take is influenced by No Man's land, Batman: Knightfall, Bane of the Demon and Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

After thinking this through, here's my response to your question:

H0Whs.gif

how do you think Bruce and Selina are get by?

did Bruce have a secret stash of money hiding away somewhere...?

did he build up a new empire earning back his billions under a new name...?

did he just get himself a regular job...?

are they living off of Selina's steals...?
(how do you think Bruce feels about her stealing, does he let her continue her life of crime?, does he help her? would he feel moral wrong about using stolen money?)

just something I was thinking about the other, curious to hear some theory's

(how do you think Bruce feels about her stealing, does he let her continue her life of crime?, does he help her? would he feel moral wrong about using stolen money?)

There's no real answer to these questions as its all stuff that happens after the movie ends, so you sort of have to come up with your own ideas.

I would imagine Bruce would have some small amount saved away in an offshore account, hiding money is very easy to do.

Selina would probably get a job working for a security firm as her knowledge would be useful in stopping other criminals hacking into and stealing stuff. She wants a new start so I doubt she would continue her criminal ways.

She steals...much to the chagrin of her anal-retentive boyfriend.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=24063685&postcount=338

WHO CARES?! Stuff like overanalyzing crap like this ruins the whole point of enjoying it. In the end, yes, it's a story that makes you wonder, but why dissect every single detail and try to write our own part of the movie that never existed. I bet you're one of those people who theorize how Catwoman didn't die at the end of Batman Returns :doh:

I was shocked at much romantic symbolism the Nolan bros put into that ending. Not only is Selina filling the role of "wife" in the same cafe Al hoped to see Bruce in with a wife and maybe kids, but Bruce gave her his mother's pearls. The only thing he has left of her. A little too romantic for a Nolan film, but I like it because it's my favorite comic book couple- Bruce and Selina.

As for how they get by: Not a single billionaire in the world doesn't have an offshore account with money stashed away. Selina's probably got some saved up as well. It's one of the those endings that you don't see much of nowadays, but you saw tons of during the 40's and 50's. The whole "we don't need a lot of money because we have each other" thing.

Pretty sure Bruce has some offshore/off the books accounts to take care of them both for several lifetimes. He's been acquiring his Bat gear (not provided by Fox) through dummy corporations and whatever accounts that can't be tied to WE afterall. Plus they've mentioned how paranoid he is and a paranoid guy knows how to take care of his wealth in case something bad happens. ;)

Selina's been saving up too.

That doesn't need to happen since Bruce didn't even spend years training with the League.

Fine he'll just drop by the League Of Shadows and train for months and then come back. This brings me back to my earlier statement Bruce Wayne's "Batman" retired and Now we have Donald Blake's Batman .

Fine he'll just drop by the League Of Shadows and train for months and then come back. This brings me back to my earlier statement Bruce Wayne's "Batman" retired and Now we have Donald Blake's Batman .

That's what the hammer's for.

I didn't know that about the original Kane character... All the comics I've read and other iterations have pretty much made it canon though that he will NEVER kill, pretty much fact just like Superman's flying ability came into play later in the comics and are now considered essential for the character and to not have that element in an adaptation would be stupid. The same thing for the killing thing for Batman... just because the early year of Batman in the comics showed him killing, that's not the current canon now. He doesn't kill, plain and simple and that's been the accepted facet of his character for greater than 40+ years.

So in light of that, true an adaptation shouldn't be slavish to the comic or source material but basics have to be achieved. Batman doesn't kill. That's a completely key part of his character now for so long and having him so sadistically kill n Returns with Keaton smiling with that **** eating grin is very much out of character and about as stupid as making a Superman movie that wouldn't have flight a major part of Supes abilities (whoops, another Burton and Jon Peters idea). Keaton looks horribly stupid with that smile much like the idiotic dialogue in Batman Begins or TDK's horrible Bale Batman voice...

I digress however, having Batman quit has me in two minds. Part of me is like Bruce Wayne the comic character wouldn't ever do that, ever but again this is an adaptation. For the story purposes of the movie it works brilliantly as an ending. However I didn't like it very much from the context that it's very out of character for comic book Bruce Wayne to do. There are aspects I like about it and things I hate.

That is the same way I felt about .

I wondered about this myself, I mean that didn't look like a cheap little cafe they were at. I had to assume that he had off-shore accounts and add in the fact he's very intelligent. The only reason he lost money on the energy plan was because he refused to turn it on, so it's not like he doesn't have a mind for business. I think it's totally plausible that even if he didn't have an off-shore account that he was able to take Selina's savings and invest wisely in the stock market if not found something very profitable to invest it.

I also feel that he didn't have to be filthy rich, just enough to get by because he never really seemed to care much for being rich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"