Do You Believe In Evolution?

well i could have said go unrewarded instead. would that be acceptable to you? i'm sorry i wasn't so explicitly acurate so that there was room for nitpicking that has nothing to do with the crux of the statement.

Unrewarded. Fine. Why should those who failed the test be rewarded?

Admittedly I'm just throwing the 'believe or be damned!' idea back at them. But compellig folks to believe in stories that are not true does constitute a big clue. ;)

Thought I'd bring this up, since it has to do with evolutionary relationships:

Anybody else hear that "Reptilia" is no longer a class? That's right: taxonomically, reptiles don't really exist anymore. At least, not in the way they used to. They're now broken up by, among other things, skull morphology.

Turtles - Separated by their anapsid skull morphology.

Snakes/Lizards - Diapsid skull morphology.

Crocodilians/Birds - Considered distinct due to diapsid skull morphology and four-chambered hearts.

Crazy ****, huh? I'm fuzzy on specifics, but I don't think birds have a separate Class (Aves) any longer. Instead they're lumped in with crocodilians in the Infraclass Archosauromorpha in the larger class (which includes birds and reptiles) called Sauropsida.

Thoughts? This is a pretty big deal in terms of classification and evolutionary relationships.

EDIT: I may be making mistakes here with names and levels of classification; I didn't learn it this way and this changed (literally) within the past year or so.

EDIT: I tried to find a non-Wiki source online real quick, but nobody's really updated their stuff. Even the Wiki article isn't completely reflective of the new system.

Last edited:
http://tolweb.org/Amniota/14990

you checked that?

according to the references turtles position has been in question for a while.

it could just be that they removed reptilia and synapsida anapsida and romeriida just branch of amniota now without there being a heiracy to them.

but yes if they have removed aves as a catorgory then that site is not uptodate.

personally i think the problems with classification just come from attempted to put things in boxes. it's like trying to name rivers where does one end and the other begin.

Last edited:
http://tolweb.org/Amniota/14990

you checked that?

according to the references turtles position has been in question for a while.

it could just be that they removed reptilia and synapsida anapsida and romeriida just branch of amniota now without there being a heiracy to them.

but yes if they have removed aves as a catorgory then that site is not uptodate.

personally i think the problems with classification just come from attempted to put things in boxes. it's like trying to name rivers where does one end and the other begin.
They've been talking about this change for a while. I remember hearing about it a year ago. Now it's being taught differently than a year ago, which signals to me that the shift is really being made. I'm still checking it out. I think it's awesome that the crocodilians are considered more closely related to birds than they are to snakes and lizards (and tuataras and turtles and amphisbaenids).

I agree with you about classification, except to say that now the focus on classification is to emphasize evolutionary relationships, so it serves a useful (if not almost futile) purpose. I say futile because, as you say, how do you group gradual changes with clear divisions?

I'm gonna keep looking for some info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"