Do you think about your own death often?

What if when we die we don't really leave this world, we just periceve it in a different way:huh:

I mean, we won't be tied down to our bodies, stuck with only 5 senses.

Sometimes, I think of our bodies as prisons in a way.

Maybe when we die we can do whatever we want, no restrictions.
There's this possibility, but iono, just the pessimist in me and scientist in me just seems to think.

You croak. You croak. It's over. Game over. You're not Mario. You don't get a continue screen. :(

I beleive there was once a study of the moments before ones death (like in WWII, if a bomb landed right next to you and you were certain of death), wherein they discovered that knowing you are about to die is actually one of the most liberating and calming existential state that one can acheive, as there is no thought process in regards "right, what do I do here" as you have already accepted that there is nothing you can do, so there is no point thinking it over.

The idea that death is basically made up by power mad individuals who wish to rule. If we had no fear of death, and you were ordered to "obey me or die!", we'd just go "meh" and as such the aggressor would have no power.

This is a riduculousy shortened version of said study, but I hope it makes sense.

Interesting. I could see how one could be calm right before their death, seeing as most know they are going to die when they die.

But then it doesn't really account for deaths that happen where the person doesn't specifically know they are about to die. Automobile accidents (a majority of them), etc., etc.

I think about dying quite a lot. Mostly because the time I died was just about the best I've ever felt, and everything has been a little faded since then.

I have the horrible feeling that if I'm not extremely self disciplinned I'm going to die by my own hands one of these days. Its pretty much inevitable. I'm that much of a control freak.

That's the crappy thing about freak accidents.

No choice in the matter or at least knowledge that it could happen.
Just bam, dead. No choice in the matter.
And its sucks cause you can spend your whole life trying to get some where,
some kind of position, happy, comfortable place in life, and then bam, it just gets taken away so easily. Life takes so much work, but yet, death can happen so easily. It's like being disqualified from a race, you've set your heart on, and then you pulled out for some unfair reason, no if and or buts, no second chances.

But then it doesn't really account for deaths that happen where the person doesn't specifically know they are about to die. Automobile accidents (a majority of them), etc., etc.
Yeah, I think in cases like that, you'd be thinking "quick, steer left!".

The more interesting aspect for me, however, is how we have been conditioned to believe that death is bad and should be feared, like some sort of behavioural meme that we just know as opposed to learning.

Well, I think death is bad. I mean life sucks sometimes sure, but I'd rather be alive doing something than be dead and possibly doing nothing.

It's not because I believe one should behave either. I believe one should get the most of living and do whatever they want with it, no matter how risky the outcome of some things.

Well, I think death is bad.
Yeah, but do you think that death is bad because others around you have reacted in negative ways towards death and your exposure to the media has conditioned you to believe such, or do you just know, in the same way that you know you have to eat/sleep/etc?

Yeah, but do you think that death is bad because others around you have reacted in negative ways towards death and your exposure to the media has conditioned you to believe such, or do you just know, in the same way that you know you have to eat/sleep/etc?
You know really I don't know. It possibly could be that, but it's just more to me this feeling of dread.

I'm a life loving person everyone I know personally says that so to me death is something to fear naturally. You can't do anything if your dead. You just lay in the dirt.

This is just about the most depressing thread I have every read.:csad:

I think most creatures are just genetically programmed to fear and react negatively to death. I don't really think it's "social conditioning" at all.

in fact, if you react negatively to death it just probably means you're healthy.

in fact, if you react negatively to death it just probably means you're healthy.
Not necessarily, it just means that we're more likely to survive than those who don't. BUT! devout Christians who are convinced that they are going to go to heaven if they die, would not be afraid of death, as would many other spiritual and religious followers.

Not necessarily, it just means that we're more likely to survive than those who don't. Also, devout Christians who are convinced that they are going to heaven if they die, would not be afraid of death.
I suppose so.
It's just I usually equate
thinking about, or obsessing with death with being depressed in some way. And being depressed, isn't really a healthy human, uh thing, I don't think.

There is nothing emo or stupid about this topic btw, we talk about other deaths from the news accepting that as a reality. What of our own demise? Looking at life as an inexhaustible well I see.

Well, if you look at it the way I do...

Yeah, that was kind of my tought. Way I see it, worrying and complaining about death when you're not terminally ill, chronically ill, seriously injured, or in a hazardous environment is just whiny.

...then it is pretty ****ing emo.

Not necessarily, it just means that we're more likely to survive than those who don't. BUT! devout Christians who are convinced that they are going to go to heaven if they die, would not be afraid of death, as would many other spiritual and religious followers.

Not true. Some people might believe that they'll go to heaven but simply prefer being alive.

I swear. This is whole Emo thing that you idiots have latched onto is just f-ing annoying. I don't mean that people that are "Emo" I mean the whole concept of "Emo". The people that hate "Emo" is just as stupid as those that claim to be.

"Emo" is just something the MTV created so that it further alienate, & cetegorize teeny b**ch's that are stupid enough to fall into that trap.

Talking about my fears of death with others actually helped me not think about it, and I got to sleep better last night. Thanks, friends!

I swear. This is whole Emo thing that you idiots have latched onto is just f-ing annoying. I don't mean that people that are "Emo" I mean the whole concept of "Emo". The people that hate "Emo" is just as stupid as those that claim to be.

"Emo" is just something the MTV created so that it further alienate, & cetegorize teeny b**ch's that are stupid enough to fall into that trap.

Damn, you're really emo.

Not true. Some people might believe that they'll go to heaven but simply prefer being alive.
Read it again. It wasn't a question of preference of being alive or dead, I was saying is that they would not be afraid of it.

Read it again. It wasn't a question of preference of being alive or dead, I was saying is that they would not be afraid of it.

Maybe they're just afraid of not being alive since they've grown quite comfortable with it.

I think about my own death every 15 to 20 minutes unless I'm playing guitar, playing video games or drunk.

After reading these boards, I often think about other people's deaths... does that count?

i think coming to terms with how fragile life is and how easily you could perish and no longer be here is the only true way to get the most out of it.

you shouldn't be scared of dying, more like scared of not living enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"