Justice League Do You Think Snyder’s Justice League Would’ve Done Better?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
If Zack Snyder had gotten to make Justice League the way he wanted to without studio interference do you think his version of Justice League would’ve faired better at the box office or do you think it would make no noticeable difference? This is question I’ve been wondering for a while, and I wonder what you guys think?

Last edited:
By without studio interference, do you mean his original 5 movie arch?

By without studio interference, do you mean his original 5 movie arch?
If Snyder had shot Terrio’s Justice League Part 1 script 100% his way and Warner’s stood by his vision after BvS(so no bringing in Whedon for a massive overhaul). I’ve always been curious to see how that version of JL would’ve done in comparison to how the theatrical cut ultimately ended up doing.

Commercially, it wouldn't have made much difference. (Assuming it was going to be 3 hour+ movie ?) GA would have relied on RT score, assuming JL had 60% rating, it could have made somewhere near 800 mil.

But with lesser rating, it would have made same amount of money.

In terms of quality, it would have been better movie, more cohesive, people who like MoS would have liked it (I'm biased.), but the people who were not fond of Snyder's style and his rather serious approach would have complained.

Last edited:
In terms of quality, it would have been better movie, more cohesive, people who like MoS would have liked it (I'm biased.), but the people who were not fond of Snyder's style and his rather serious approach would have complained.
Yep, this.

I'm a fan of MoS and BvS, and still feel unbelievably frustrated that we never got Snyder's version of JL. But as much as I wish we'd had it, honestly I don't think it would have been any more commercially successful than the Frankenstein, hatchet-job that we ended up with.

Critically, I can't be sure since the critics aren't exactly palling up to get in Snyder's good graces, but as far as an overall film and continuation of what we got in Man of Steel and BvS, absolutely. But above all else, it would've been tonally consistent. That's my main issue with Justice League in its current form. Those who found Man of Steel and BvS to be too dark or brooding with little to no levity got an Avengers-lite film that wants to be both that and a Zack Snyder film.

Say what you will about Man of Steel and BvS, but tonally, they're consistent throughout. Justice League, through studio interference, wants to have its cake and eat it too and, as such, doesn't have a real identity. I can rewatch Man of Steel and BvS (Ultimate Edition) and see consistency in tone and direction. Haven't revisited Justice League since seeing it in theaters, but what I remember is just a tale of two visions mandated by a studio that split its fan base in an attempt to appeal to the masses. As we saw with the end result, it didn't work.

So yes, while critics may not have handing out fresh ratings galore to Zack Snyder's Justice League, I have no doubt it would've done better at the box office than what we have so far.

Unlikely to have significantly increased the box office. The general audience didn't demand JL after BVS. There wasn't much buzz even before his departure. It would have taken a critically acclaimed crowd pleaser. Something Snyder was unlikely to deliver.

The damage had already been done by the time the movie was set to come out.

It was already dead, WB simply brought Whedon in to piss on the corpse and turned it into a Frankenstein’s monster in the process.

This coming from someone who loved Man of Steel and quite liked BvS (ultimate edition). But I never understood the reason WB kept Snyder in the Director's chair after the reception to BvS? It's not like they haven't shut down other productions so close to filming. They could of held back until they found another director and rewrote the script.

Last edited:
This coming from someone who loved Man of Steel and quite liked BvS (ultimate edition). But I never understood the reason WB kept Snyder in the Director's chair after the reception to BvS? It's not like they haven't shut down other productions so close to filming. They could of held back until they found another director and rewrote the script.
Because he was signed on for JL before BvS hit theaters. They were ready to shoot and setup right after BvS. Which is what happened.

The only way I see Snyder making a successful Justice League is doing a direct panel-to-panel adaptation of a successful comic book arc. And not the "three comic book story-arcs in one" approach either.

300 comes to my mind. Because that movie succeeded in simply taking one of Miller's work and translating that to the big screen with all of Snyder's visual style and flair.

300 is a great Zack Snyder film.

Last edited:
Because he was signed on for JL before BvS hit theaters. They were ready to shoot and setup right after BvS. Which is what happened.

The expose written around the time of release also said there were a number of people within the studio who definitely did want him fired after BVS didn't hit box office projections, but that (ironically) Kevin Tsujihara overruled them, because he knew replacing the director right before filming would basically signal to the world that the movie was going to be a train wreck.

The entire PR strategy for this movie was basically pretending that everything was fine and that there wasn't a massive shakeup behind the scenes, right down to everyone (including the actors) lying through their teeth about how the reshoots were totally minor and still in the spirt of what Snyder intended.

The expose written around the time of release also said there were a number of people within the studio who definitely did want him fired after BVS didn't hit box office projections, but that (ironically) Kevin Tsujihara overruled them, because he knew replacing the director right before filming would basically signal to the world that the movie was going to be a train wreck.

The entire PR strategy for this movie was basically pretending that everything was fine and that there wasn't a massive shakeup behind the scenes, right down to everyone (including the actors) lying through their teeth about how the reshoots were totally minor and still in the spirt of what Snyder intended.
Everyone was doing their best to show that the movie was going to be just fine.

That was the period when AT&T was in process of buying out Time Warner, and nobody wanted to send any wrong signal to jeopardize the deal.

Just look at how Disney's stocks plummeted after TRoS got lower RT ratings, companies are under pressure to deliver on big budget movies nowadays.

I honestly don’t think it would have done any better. The only irony is WB would have saved themselves money by not retooling the movie.

Financially: no
Critical reception: yes

I think Zack's film would have had some major, major reveals, like Darkseid and the true return of Superman. I think word of mouth that would have came from those scenes like the JL looking through a boomtube to Darkseid and seeing more Knightmare world would have had a different chatter AFTERWARDS with people talking.

Instead, it was pretty much a forgettable, packing-it-in Frankeinstein of a film more concered with being funnier and getting the studio exec's their bonus's.

I think Zack's Jl the one that was shot would've made more money but it's impossible to tell how much more mainly because we know so little about that movie. Out of the movie that was released only 20 minutes of Zacks footage was used. However I do think that it would've made more money and have been more in line of what came before.

I think it would’ve more or less gotten the same RT score as Whedon’s movie. Critics would’ve remarked that the lighter more fun tone was welcome but Snyder’s signature color palette and storytelling style would still be major detractors.

Since it likely wouldve been a long movie (2hrs45 mins im assuming) it may have grossed slightly less just by virtue of being a longer film with not as many theater showings as Whedon’s short cut.

Honestly quite surprised the reception is as good as it is. A more theatrical friendly 2:45 min cut or a 3 hr cut would actually benefit the movie a lot IMO. The 4 hr runtime of the Snyder cut really stretches out a lot of scenes. And makes parts of the move a bit of a chore.

BVS boxoffice legs where pretty poor, and I think no matter how good JL ended up being received it would struggle. But I think the legs would be better.

Not as a 4 hour film. If the whole nightmare/bad future subplot was dropped completely, Darkseid remained in, and some of the lightheartedness with Superman in the final battle was there, this might have done well enough.

I think if you cut it down to a more reasonable screentime (say 2h30-2h40 mins) with the important beats still intact, it would have gotten the same or slightly better response from the theatrical cut from critics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"