Superman Returns Do you think this film needed a super villain?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Does anyone think this movie needed a super villain, Parasite, Metallo Brainiac, anyone besides just Lex again? I felt the movie lacked action and that Lex and his ******ed real estate scam were not that threatening. I think a villain would brought some much needed action and saved the film from being a rehash of the 1978 movie.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. Metallo would've taken five minutes to give an origin to. Five minutes to be established as a villian and could've had an absolutely kick ass battle with Superman on New Krypton. (As opposed to Lex stabbing Supes, why not just have Metallo kick his ass, then Supes could return and try to get New Krypton out of earth's orbit while having to fight Metallo...now THAT would have been a climax.)

The fact that there was no Supervillian...and no money shot moment...is why this movie is failing.

Hell, all they would've had to do was leave out one of the more stupid subplots (Ma Kent's boyfriend, Lex seducing old women, the kid, take your pick).

Needed a supervillain
Needed a reboot with a Post-Crisis Superman and both Ma & Pa Kent
Needed a better writing team (Harris/Daugherty are a joke and a bad one at that)
Needed NO Superson
Needed NO rehash of Donner film
Needed a director who had an understanding of the character and not just the character from the Donner film

Like Matt said, the movie lacked a money shot. It was flat and underwhelming. It pulled a Hulk.

I think it would have helped with the visceral action, which I think should have been amped.

Though, I was fine with what was there. I just wasnt feeling it.

yeah . . . I really want to see Supes fight a villain on par with his physical prowess . . . . all we get to see him do is save airplanes and shyt . . . I want to see a gottam super battle!! And not like the dude from Superman IV! Luthor can still be in it, but let's have someone that Supes can duke it out with . . .

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Lex Luthor was enough of a Super Villian I thought.

What with his idiotic real estate scam that never would have worked? I'm surprised Superman didn't die of laugther at the sheer stupidity of it.

DV8 said:
yeah . . . I really want to see Supes fight a villain on par with his physical prowess . . . . all we get to see him do is save airplanes and shyt . . . I want to see a gottam super battle!! And not like the dude from Superman IV! Luthor can still be in it, but let's have someone that Supes can duke it out with . . .

The thing about Superman is, his super battles can be more epic than any other character. Spidey's villians don't really lend themselves to the classic throw down, Batman has no powers, and Hulk is on the back burner.

You could have Superman and Metallo throwing cars at each other, hitting one another with street lights, just a super powered throw down. It is such a missed opportunity.

Matt said:
The fact that there was no Supervillian...and no money shot moment...is why this movie is failing.

i think it pick a bad week to open everyone i know is parting not going to the movies. but i found time during the day and i think your right it need a supervillain. hopefully there's one in the next one (if there is a next one). it cost 200M to make in 2-3 years and it's made 80 someing million in five days. it's really not too bad. not as much as they wanted no dout

A bad time to open? It was Fourth of July weekend.

Matt said:
The thing about Superman is, his super battles can be more epic than any other character. Spidey's villians don't really lend themselves to the classic throw down, Batman has no powers, and Hulk is on the back burner.

You could have Superman and Metallo throwing cars at each other, hitting one another with street lights, just a super powered throw down. It is such a missed opportunity.

Exactly!

The closest thing we've ever had to what a Superman battle would be like is when Neo fought Smith in the sky in Matrix: Revolutions. After that, I kept thinking a Superman battle with the new film is going to rock. Little did I realize how wrong I would be at the time, and how bad Singer would take a dump on the Man of Steel.

Instead of a great epic film that's deep in characterization and strong on action, we get Supermagnolias with Superman and Superson. All brought to you by Singerman and his homage to Donner's Silver Age S:TM.

Nothing hurt me more than when Singer said that there wouldn't be no supervillains in The Wizard magazine, and said that Superman wouldn't throw a single punch in his film. When he said if you want to see Superman fight, get the video game (Still waiting for that on XBox 360 btw...). When Singer said all that, I knew this film would perform poorly. He put on a show with smoke and mirrors. It was all fluff and no stuff.

I agree with all of you guys. I couldn't help but think "I took the day off, got my in-laws to watch the new baby, take my wife and daughter out to this movie so I can share with them the joy I had when I watched Superman I, II, III, and IV at the movies and Singer gives me THIS CRAP!!! I liked the airplane scene and the flying but where was the ACTING!!!! I watched the original movies on DVD the same day and it was no comparison to the oscar caliber original. The things it needed were a GOOD PLOT(emphasis on good), more action and a super bad guy!!! My kid slept through most of the movie, all she remembers is superman carrying the '65 Mustang and putting it down. My wife who is not at all a superhero buff and is quite fond of the proverbial "chick-flick" asked me if Superman spoke much. I mean he played the strong silent typ and that's not him, that's the guy from Gotham! The scenes where he was speaking were Blahhhhh. Gimme a break!!! Don't even let me start on the kid thing. I have the uneasy feeling that they HAVE to redo the movie to make the franchise successful again. The movie was pretty much the sum of all my fears. I like the flying scenes though and was glad to see the "laser beams" from his eyes were omitted.

needed a metallo or braniac. wouldve rocked.

Matt said:
There is absolutely no doubt about it. Metallo would've taken five minutes to give an origin to. Five minutes to be established as a villian and could've had an absolutely kick ass battle with Superman on New Krypton. (As opposed to Lex stabbing Supes, why not just have Metallo kick his ass, then Supes could return and try to get New Krypton out of earth's orbit while having to fight Metallo...now THAT would have been a climax.)

Hell, all they would've had to do was leave out one of the more stupid subplots (Ma Kent's boyfriend, Lex seducing old women, the kid, take your pick).

Haha...No money shot moment...I couldn't agree with you more. It really needed that resolution/definitive I'm Superman and I just made you my ***** moment. I mean he DOESNT even catch Lex at the end of film! Lex caused all that trouble and didnt even get punished...HOW LAME is that?! EVERYONE GETS THEIR COME UP'NS...Evie said so in the mummy.

Spidey stopped GG and Doc Ock, Batman kicked Ra's Al Ghul's ass, Mags went to jail in X1, Stryker got drowed by a big wave of water in X2, The Incredibles hit Syndrome with a freaking car! WHERE IS THE RESOLUTION...Superman didnt OWN anyone's ass in the flick. He just kinda pretended it the story was over and flew away. LAME.

dpm07 said:
Needed a supervillain
Needed a better writing team (Harris/Daugherty are a joke and a bad one at that)
Needed NO Superson
Needed a director who had an understanding of the character and not just the character from the Donner film

Like Matt said, the movie lacked a money shot. It was flat and underwhelming. It pulled a Hulk.

Yup, Everything you said too.

dpm07 said:
Needed a supervillain
Needed NO Superson

I highlighted perhaps the one good point you made, otherwise what you say is fanboyism. Most movie goers don't know that Superman fights anything else besides Lex Luthor and Natural disasters since besides a black dressed ballerina with superpowers, they haven't seen Superman fight anyone else. And quiet frankly I don't think Zod would take so well with today's audience which expects more down to earth villians (even Spider-Man grounded his rogues).

As for the Superson and Superman being Pre Crisis, no one outside of comic fandom knowns what Crisis means or that Superman is not suppose to have a son. You again, like most, impose your knowledge of these characters as being somewhat Universial. As if the quality of the film to the average movie goer depends on it being "post crisis, pre crisis, comic accurate to a T, etc.". Quiet frankly with the time it would take to explain who Brainiac, Metallo, or Darkseid is...Lex Luthor was the smart choice. The son creates an interesting twist (however poorly or well you feel it was utilized) and going with Pre Crisis power levels makes for excellent visuals.

As for Harris/Daugherty being a Joke is your most laughable statement. They wrote X2, I'll repeat that X2....which some consider the SINGLE BEST SUPERHERO FILM EVER MADE...i.e. smart choice

ShadowBoxing said:
As for Harris/Daugherty being a Joke is your most laughable statement. They wrote X2, I'll repeat that X2....which some consider the SINGLE BEST SUPERHERO FILM EVER MADE...i.e. smart choice

That's cool. You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree with you, but hey, that's all good.

As far as Harris/Daugherty goes, those guys are a pathetic waste who shouldn't even be in the entertainment industry. Regarding X2 it was good, but it's not all that, and those two are horrible writers. I'll take that to the grave, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Those two chumps are Singer's yes men, and serve the primary purpose of nurturing whatever arrogance and fragile ego he has. The fact that they can't write or did write this story as poorly as they did is evidence.

No, I'll stand by the fact that I think they're a waste. I've got absolutely no respect for Harris/Daughtery. They are a sad testament to humanity, and what's even worse is the fact that they are out there right now having gotten paid to write this film and that they'll get a sequel that may be an even bigger waste yet, and all under the direction of Singerman.

ya,it needed a suprvillian.

What with his idiotic real estate scam that never would have worked? I'm surprised Superman didn't die of laugther at the sheer stupidity of it.

Idiotic? Scam?

He practically destroyed all of Metropolis, and beat Superman within an inch of his life.

Your not giving Lex enough credit.

Captainmarvel.JPG

The Overlord said:
Does anyone think this movie needed a super villain, Parasite, Metallo Brainiac, anyone besides just Lex again? I felt the movie lacked action and that Lex and his ******ed real estate scam were not that threatening. I think a villain would brought some much needed action and saved the film from being a rehash of the 1978 movie.

Singer was hell bent on creating a 'new' Donner film. He probably played with the idea of a Supervillian but decided that it will be all Donner's characters for this one. And he couldn't have been more wrong.

I don't think so, man. For this flick...it fit.

Now, for a sequel.....yeah, he'd better bring on the super powered. But, with this flick....it worked.

Matt said:

Because it wouldn't of ment as much seeing Metallo kick his butt...it was a bunch of non super powered guys beating the crap out of Superman...that was hard to watch IMO...I teared up on that scene a bunch.

I think most people did. That scene was ****ing powerful, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"