Do you think WB is looking to take Batman in a different direction?

I rather they dont reboot batman and just tie him into jla then to a movie of his own. It could even work with a batman appearance in a MOS sequel. I dont need to see another batman origin film.

I agree... People are so familiar with Batman's origins that there is no need to first establish a movie with the new Batman franchise... They can do a JL movie and then give the new Batman movie

this! but Del Toro has so much on his plate right now i really doubt he'd have the time to direct a Batman movie. besides, i'd rather have At The Mountains of Madness & Hellboy 3 first.
I don't want another Batman film for at least 8 years.

I just hope cause of The Avengers's success and the Colorado shooting that WB don't decide to go back to the Shumacher formula,I want a more fantastical and comic-booky Batman movie again But not watered down and gone into a whole different direction!

I don't want another Batman film for at least 8 years.

It's already been said by others, but I think the best way to deal with Batman is put him in a JL film after MOS, and then start a solo franchise with that new Batman after JLA. That'd put us right around that 6-7 year mark.

One thing Marvel Studios has done a great job with is keeping an even tone across their films. If DC is serious about a shared universe, I think the next Batman series should have a relatively similar tone to the rest of the DC film universe; Maybe a couple of shades darker, but not to the point where you can't imagine him knowing Superman, or fighting Darkseid.

Last edited:
I think it highly unlikely WB will actually make the reboot "lighter." Not when the Nolan movies made as much money as they did. The reboot will still be dark. It might have more fantastic elements, it might have a change of aesthetic, but its still going to be dark. The only reason that WB will change is if the reboot does poorly. *Then* they might change the tone.

Exactly. I do not believe they are looking to lighten the Batman movie franchise up with the reboot. After the flop of the light Batman & Robin and the successes of the dark Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, I think they've learned that dark Batman movies make money. I hope the reboot version will be closer to the iconic Batman comics rather than trying to change everything in an attempt at "realism," but I'm certain it will retain the successful dark look and tone.

Yes I want WB to make it lighter because I didn't really enjoy the Dark Trilogy trilogy. They were good movies but I didn't have fun. It was too serious and dark.

I don't think they will try to make it lighter but make it more commercially safe, yeah I reckon they'll try that.

One of my predictions is that the next director will not only have less creative freedom than Nolan but will also have to make the film in 3D

I didn't find this franchise to be all that commercially unsafe.

Exactly. I do not believe they are looking to lighten the Batman movie franchise up with the reboot. After the flop of the light Batman & Robin and the successes of the dark Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, I think they've learned that dark Batman movies make money. I hope the reboot version will be closer to the iconic Batman comics rather than trying to change everything in an attempt at "realism," but I'm certain it will retain the successful dark look and tone.

Exactly. We as fans want a lighter more stylized tone, but from WB's perspective, that leads to bad things, like skate-shoes and "have an ice day."

I don't think they should put Batman in a JL movie just yet...first we need a Batman movie that is true to the source material. IF they can't handle on character staying true to the source than a JL movie wouldn't be much better.

You know that Batman is what WB thinks would get butts in the seats for a JL movie though. Look at The Avengers' marketing. While I applaud Whedon and Marvel for truly making it a team movie and giving all of the characters their fair share (well, all but Hawkeye) the trailers all made a point of showcasing Iron Man because they knew that would be the selling point for anyone who wasn't sold on Thor, Cap or the Hulk. I would imagine WB marketing JL in a similar fashion, showcasing Batman.

For a Trilogy with the new Batman they should just do a Trilogy listing like this

Worlds Finest
Trinity
Justice League

No need for a reboot. Get the new Superman established with Man Of Steel. There is no need for a complete reboot

Last edited:
No need for it But it wouldn't automatically mean a bad thing and I sure prefer that than try to continue with Nolan's work!

A reboot don't mean they need to do an origin yet again,They can have Batman already being Batman for many years,Maybe they can do a quick origin glimpse during the opening credits(like TIH)or flashbacks to show the GA that it's a whole new reboot&film

As for being lighter..They can do it like Burton's films where they were pretty damn dark But still had the comic-book's fantastical element and villains like Joker&Penguin were campy like there suppose to But not 60's&Shumacher type of camp!

Villains like Penguin can work in a dark film with humor and especially while being comic book accurate,He'd be a weapon dealing mobster..While just happening to be short&ugly and owning a nightclub with a name like"IceBurg Lounge"

Something along the lines of the animated series would be great.

I think another important aspect for them to capture in future Batman films is the city itself. The city is supposed to be a visual reflection of Batman's mind in a way. Batman is grim and dark...Gotham is grim, dark and gritty.

Something along the lines of the animated series would be great.

I've always felt a Batman movie to basically be"TAS:The Live-Action Movie"could work perfectly!

Would be a nice nod as their in the Arham City game as a nod to TAS too,IF Dini wrote a Batman movie I bet he'd do tons of great homages to TAS!!

The Movies definitely don't need to be lighter. Just more fantastical. I think The Amazing Spider-Man got the perfect tone. The people and world all feel grounded, but you still have fantastical stuff like a guy with Spider powers and a giant Lizard running around. Or even the first two X-Men Movies and the first Blade Movie.

I want the next Batman Movie to capture that tone and give us characters like Freeze, Killer Croc, Clayface, without it seeming absurd and a total comic fest like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

What is this "light" mess? If anything, the next movie should be more gothic. I want a dark ominous Batman film with a great amount of bone breaking action. It should be gothic and action packed like "Underworld", yet ominous like "The Ring". It should also really capture just how evil the villains really are.

In terms of tone I'm hoping for something like Oldboy meets Blade meets Se7en.

Please, no JLA tie-ins. That movie idea is terrible. Let the Avengers have their day. DC's characters can carry their own movies.

I see them going the Spiderman route. A serious film, not as whimsical as Schumacher's abortions, but with plenty of humor and more stretching of reality. Think Killer Croc, Nightwing, etc.

Nolan's films were so good that I'm completely satisfied with Batman as it is. I'm curious about the reboot but I can't say I'm excited because I know it'll never live up to Nolan's standards.

Devin pretty much hit the nail on the head for me:

Christopher Nolan has said that*The Dark Knight Rises*is the end of his time on the Batman franchise. While I don't entirely believe that, and while I think that a fourth film in the Nolanverse is not only possible but likely, we have heard rumblings of a reboot - that Warner Bros would pretty much start over again with a new vision.*

What would that vision be like? Here's a hit-****ing list of five things that I think must be taken into account should Warner Bros start a new Batman franchise. And even if they continue in the Nolanverse a couple of these are very, very applicable.

Less Frank Miller, more Grant Morrison.

Frank Miller's Year One*is one of the overriding influences on Christopher Nolan's Batman films. Miller's take on the character - gritty, real, psychologically complex - has been the general go-to for the character for decades. But there are other versions of Batman, and I'd love to see them get some screen time. In particular I'd love to see a Batman more closely in line with Grant Morrison's take, which harkens back to the brawling adventurer version of Batman from Neal Adams and Denny O'Neil (who created Ra's Al Ghul, so they did have some impact on Nolan's version).*

Morrison's Batman is an almost superhuman planner - his back-up plans have back-up plans. And while Morrison's Batman definitely operates on a street level, he's also at home dealing with the weird and wild and utterly psychedelic. In what was perhaps Morrison's masterstroke on the character he actually managed to work all of the strange, science fiction Batman stories of the 50s into modern continuity without breaking Bats' basic reality. His Batman could be just as comfortable chasing ancient relics as taking down a mob family. This approach also allows the new films to really use Batman's rogues gallery, one of the best and most bizarre in comic books.

We've had the serious and 'realistic' Batman. Let's have a Batman that's a bit more fun, without having to be silly.

Get rid of the bulky rubber outfit.

Over the last seven movies we have seen Batman in a ridiculous, barely mobile suit of thick rubber. We're at the point where simply moving his head is seen as a big victory. Batman is a martial artist and an acrobat - so why is he encased in what appears to be playground matting? In*The Dark Knight Rises*Batman's first battle with Bane includes pretty much just left hooks, likely because that's the extent of movement allowed by the dumb costume. So let's get him into something that allows movement, that doesn't look like it was sculpted. Check out Captain America's costume - looks good, allows mobility and actually appears to have functionality. The next generation of designers should follow from there.

And while they're redesigning the approach to the costume, maybe they might consider making it grey. *And think about that yellow oval. It's cool.

Make Batman a detective.

The full name is "The Dark Knight Detective." Batman isn't just an urban vigilante in a strange getup - he's a master detective whose deductive skills rival Sherlock Holmes. This element of Batman is historically underplayed, and Nolan's Batfilms in particular have ignored his detective element (or, more truthfully when Nolan has engaged the detective element it has been in a way that makes Batman seem stupider, like the fingerprints on the Joker's bullet thing).*

Tell a story where Batman isn't just punching guys but where he's engaged in a real mental match-up. Where he's not only riding in his Batmobile but also piecing together seemingly mundane and pointless clues. Where he's seemingly at a loss but is actually one step ahead of the villain. Look to the Robert Downey Jr*Sherlock Holmes*films for a sense of how to do this.

Have it take place in the DC Universe.

Marvel did it. It can be done. A shared universe is possible. I understand that Christopher Nolan wanted no other hands on his toys, but now it's time to get some fingerprint smudges on them.*

Nolan never had the imagination to see how a shared universe could actually help Batman. In a world where there's a Superman and a Green Lantern, Batman suddenly gets put into proper perspective. He's a man among the gods, a guy who through sheer force of will has taken his place in the pantheon. If anything, this reinforces what is unique and special about Batman. You don't need to have The Flash running through Gotham to accomplish this - the crossovers can happen outside of the core Batman movies. What's important is that we know there are other cities defended by superhumans, while Gotham has its own very human protector.

Don't you dare make it an origin story.

Everybody gets it. We know why he's wearing the pointy ears. Move past it. Don't tie the villain into his parent's death. Don't encumber us with flashbacks. I'll allow a visit to the grave of the Waynes, but that's it.

Making the movies like the arkham games to me means taking it back to tim burton's style, because that is basically what the games are. Sure they can have more faithful storylines but I'm not so sure its going to be a smash hit again before it runs into the same problems as the burton movies, in that the villains are the more interesting than batman.

There have been seven batman movies, I would like to see them take a break for at least seven years. You need to build up anticipation for it and people get tired of seeing the same thing over again.

The one thing a reboot does have over the last one is that the dark knight rises wasn't the disaster that batman and robin was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"