Superman Returns Do you want a longer cut of the film?

Some people liked Superman Returns....some didn't. Neither is RIGHT or WRONG....they are simply people with different opinions and different likes and don't likes.

As a matter of fact it's been my personal mission to erase SR from everyone's memory,

So you're aware that it's hard to make someone forget something when you keep repeating it? No, it's not hard, it's straight contradictory.

-besides, they're rebooting so it's not like I was wrong... ;)

If it wasn't 'wrong' we would have a sequel with Routh and cast with or without Singer. But Singer's vision was so singular (and erroneous) there isn't going to be a sequel.

Yes. Sam Raimi was dead wrong, so they're rebooting Spiderman.

And of course Transformers II couldn't have been any more right, so we're getting a sequel.

That's how things work in the Right/Wrong world.

I care too much about the character of Superman to just stand by and see his character sullied in an awful adaptation. It's not about making me feel better- it's about standing up for what's right for the character-

It actually just kind of makes you sound more like a troll in a thread for a topic you obviously don't care for.

Just accept that not everyone subscribes to your opinion and move on.

It actually just kind of makes you sound more like a troll in a thread for a topic you obviously don't care for.

Just accept that not everyone subscribes to your opinion and move on.

Don't mean to be a troll, but I guess this is a more interesting topic for discussion than "Gosh, I sure loved 'The Dark Knight!' Hey, me too!

Some people liked Superman Returns....some didn't. Neither is RIGHT or WRONG....they are simply people with different opinions and different likes and don't likes.

I was not saying that the opinions were right or wrong, rather that the aproach to SR and the story was wrong for the character, thus...no sequel and instead a reboot.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

So you're aware that it's hard to make someone forget something when you keep repeating it? No, it's not hard, it's straight contradictory.

Yes. Sam Raimi was dead wrong, so they're rebooting Spiderman.

And of course Transformers II couldn't have been any more right, so we're getting a sequel.

That's how things work in the Right/Wrong world.

At least you understand.

Well, I do understand that getting a sequel - or not - doesn't say anything about any movie's quality.

That said, this thread is about whether people want a longer cut or not. To go back - once again - and moan about SR could be seeing as de-railing.

Well, I do understand that getting a sequel - or not - doesn't say anything about any movie's quality.

That said, this thread is about whether people want a longer cut or not. To go back - once again - and moan about SR could be seeing as de-railing.

So what's the tally on those for and against a longer cut?

I'm dying for the longer cut. Restoring the Krypton opening, adding those deleted scenes back in...gosh, I really want a director's cut for this film.

I watched it yesterday for the first time in about two years and I still love it...with reservations. It still works for me, but I know, deep down, it would work better in a longer form.

I want to see the Return to Krypton scenes, Young Clark Kent scenes and all other deleted scenes put back into an extended director's cut.

Is there any new news on this effort?

I guess there's a possibility that we'll get a mention, confirmation, or rejection of this idea when more official news of Nolan's Superman comes to light.

I want to see the Return to Krypton scenes, Young Clark Kent scenes and all other deleted scenes put back into an extended director's cut.
we're now three (four?!) years removed from SR's release... I can't believe we haven't gotten a director's cut yet. What is WB waiting for??

SR WAS the director's cut, as stated by the actual director himself. He had final decision on everything, including what to cut and what to keep. As for an 'extended' cut...well, that's usually instigated by the director or at least someone with creative interest and authority over it. And if the director doesn't want it (hence, his decision not to use it in the first place), there's not really any other incentive to put up the money and effort for it. Even if there's a new Superman movie, it's kinda' doubtful that they'd want to put anything more into the movie that they didn't want to continue in the first place, aside from perhaps some new packaging/cover art for another box-set release to just promote the brand. Alternate cuts aren't a standard practice, despite a lot of them coming out recently.

I'd be interested in seeing the scene just to see it, if someone felt like resurrecting it. But altogether I think it's best to just leave SR for what it was...not what it could have been or wasn't, or allegedly was in earlier versions, etc. Tons of movies have cut stuff that we'll never see, even if some were released as bonus material on dvds and what not. This is no different. It's what it is, liked or disliked.

Last edited:
Singer said at the 2005 Comic-Con International that WB was giving him full control and that the theatrical cut of SR would be THE director's cut. SR as it exists now IS Singer's vision of the movie. There were rumors of holding some things back for use in the sequel, but for all intents and purposes, this is the film he intended to show, at least by the end of the project.

Well in that case we can just call it a "special edition" and not a "director's cut " :) Problem solved.

Question is why would they release a longer cut of SR when it looks like Nolans version will be starting up soon and hopefully be released in 2012? Wouldn't that just further confuse the general public? Let's release an extended cut of SR in 2011 and then release a film with an entirely new cast and director in 2012, sounds foolish and confusing.

Question is why would they release a longer cut of SR when it looks like Nolans version will be starting up soon and hopefully be released in 2012? Wouldn't that just further confuse the general public? Let's release an extended cut of SR in 2011 and then release a film with an entirely new cast and director in 2012, sounds foolish and confusing.

Do you think that re-releasing a movie under the same name, with the same actors and the same story would be confused with another movie/reboot, or what?

Was people confused when they re-released the Burton/Schumscher movies the same year the released Batman Begins?

Do you think that re-releasing a movie under the same name, with the same actors and the same story would be confused with another movie/reboot, or what?

Was people confused when they re-released the Burton/Schumscher movies the same year the released Batman Begins?

Yes and yes. You're using Burtons movies as an example when they were released in the 90's vs Batman Begins long after when both series were clearly separate from one another. Batman Begins was CLEARLY a fresh start to the franchise.

Do you understand that for alot of moviegoers outside of these boards, people who don't follow comic book movies as religiously as some people on here do still might think that a sequel to SR is in the works? I've had to explain to people when it was learned that Nolan was taking over that they are starting over again and breaking away from SR, alot of people don't know that because SR was well viewed by critics and the general public as being a good movie, so why reboot again? So if you release and extended version in 2011 and then reboot the whol efranchise with a whol enew cast and director 1 yr later yea I don't find that hard to believe that it would confuse the general public. Now SR is a stand alone film and 5 yrs or so later you start all over again? Need proof how it would confuse non comic book junkies, check out The Hulk vs TIH, fresh reboot within 5-6 yrs and alot of people thought it was a sequel. Supes in within that same timeframe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"