Doc Ock:hero or villain?

Stevens25

Reaction score
As far as the film goes,how do you think Doc Ock would've been viewed by the time it ended? He was obviously a good man who was just corrupted,but do you think Peter would told everyone what happened and how he saved the city? Or would Ock just have been viewed as as insane criminal?

Peter can't tell anyone anything about that without revealing that he's Spider-Man. If people knew the truth, Ock would probably be seen as a hero. Even though he was only destroying the danger that he had created.

I think Peter deserves some credit, too. It was him that made Ock see the error of his ways.

As far as the film goes,how do you think Doc Ock would've been viewed by the time it ended? He was obviously a good man who was just corrupted,but do you think Peter would told everyone what happened and how he saved the city? Or would Ock just have been viewed as as insane criminal?

well I think it didn't need to fall on those extreme points, he could end being seen as a criminal who tried to redeem himself in the end.

I don't think he's a villian, since it was the tentacles he kept listening to. He was just a pawn.

I don't think he's a villian, since it was the tentacles he kept listening to. He was just a pawn.

He wasn't a pawn. He was misguided. And as was shown in the demonstration scene, he was capable of violence and irrationality when it came to his work. The arms just fleshed that out.

If he had been a pawn, then his sacrifice at the end would have been pointless, since he would not be correcting a wrong he was not to blame for.

Otto was a victim. If the tentacles hadn't been fused to his spine,
I'm pretty sure he would have lived a happy life. He would have had
his wife, and his research. He didn't seem interested in much else.
He was a simple man, who became the pawn of fate.

Norman Osborn was a victim. If the performance enhancers hadn't screwed his brain and make him a schizo, he would have been fine. He only took them out of desperation to save his own company.

He was a victim of his own work, too. That didn't make him any less a villain. A villain is a person who does evil things. Ra's Al Ghul is only fighting for justice. But, he chooses the wrong tactics. He's still a villain, despite his noble intentions.
Magneto is fighting for survival of his own kind. He just chooses the wrong methods to do it. But, he's still a villain.

I think people still veiw him as a criminal, and as Doc Ock said, Peter would have to reveal his secret identity in order to prove that Doc Ock was a hero. But he couldn't risk everything that he has. Aunt May, MJ, Harry, and more would have been in danger of getting hurt.

As for being a pwan, Doc Ock wasn't a pawn. He had to use them to get money, and not let anything stand in his way. peter convinced him to stop, and Ock listened. The tentacles tried to tell Ock to not listen to him, but Ock told his tentacles to listen to him now, which means Ock stood up to the tentacles. It doesn't mean Ock was a pawn, it just means that the tentacles convinced Ock to steal money to rebuild his fusion machine, and Ock was basically saying "no" to the tentacles when Peter convinced him.

I don't know. Since Peter is known as Spider-man's "official" photographer,most people know he is at least,in contact with Spider-man. Peter could've maybe reveled some of what happened and just telling everyone that he got the news from Spidey.
As for Ock,I think that deep inside every man has the ability for evil. Maybe Doc Ock did have that anger and nastiness inside of him but it took the arms messing with his mind to finally bring it out? Maybe the same could be said of all the Spidey villains,including Norman. Were they really evil and selfish deep inside or did their accidents create their dark sides? You could obviously tell that Norman and Ock were very driven but there was nothing insane about them. The same could be said for Flint Marko as well. Only Eddie Brock really had that anger and rage inside of him before his meeting with the symbiote. So,did the arms create Doctor Octopus,or was the ability to become a villain already inside Octavious from the start?

As for Ock,I think that deep inside every man has the ability for evil. Maybe Doc Ock did have that anger and nastiness inside of him but it took the arms messing with his mind to finally bring it out? Maybe the same could be said of all the Spidey villains,including Norman. Were they really evil and selfish deep inside or did their accidents create their dark sides? You could obviously tell that Norman and Ock were very driven but there was nothing insane about them. The same could be said for Flint Marko as well. Only Eddie Brock really had that anger and rage inside of him before his meeting with the symbiote. So,did the arms create Doctor Octopus,or was the ability to become a villain already inside Octavious from the start?

Let me put it this way: What was the point of showing Octavius being irrational, and refusing to shut down his reactor at the demonstration scene, even though it was creating huge dangers destroying the lab, and then he viciously smashes Spidey into the wall when he tried to unplug it.

Obviously Sam was trying to show that Otto has a dark side. And it was fleshed out by the arms.

He wasn't a hero at all. Sure he saved the city, after nearly destroying it in the first place.

He wasn't a hero at all. Sure he saved the city, after nearly destroying it in the first place.
Half of New York city would have been destroyed if Ock didn't drown the fusion machine. He was a hero in the end, but he did do crimes.

Exactly. He was destroying the danger he created in the first place.

Half of New York city would have been destroyed if Ock didn't drown the fusion machine. He was a hero in the end, but he did do crimes.

Half the city would've been destroyed if Spider-man hadn't appealed to his common sense.

He was partially a slave to his A.I. arms, however he himself was hellbent on finishing his creation. He didn't care if a few people were harmed during the original experiment and that was before the inhibitor chip was broken. The accident just took Octavius's "Whatever I have to do to complete my work" mentality to an extreme level and out emerged Doc Ock. Robbing banks, killing people, kidnapping old women...those are most definitely acts of a villain. Those mechanical arms were evil, they were taking control of him. He liked the power they granted him so he didn't even try to resist the temptation.

But by the end of the film, he realized the wrong he had done, what they caused him to do. In act 3, he rights his wrongs thus allowing the redemption of Otto Ocatvius. He is most definitely a hero as far as I'm concerned. It takes a hero to redeem himself after realizing what he's done was wrong as well as sacrificing what is most precious to you.

:otto:

Being a hero means going that extra mile to do something good for people. Taking responsibility for your mistakes doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a decent human being.

Being a hero means going that extra mile to do something good for people. Taking responsibility for your mistakes doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a decent human being.

he·ro
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈhɪər
thinsp.png
oʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[heer-oh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1.a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal.

He certainly died heroically, but he was not a hero.

Weather he was a hero all depends on if he died or not. if he didn't die it is entirely possible he destroyed the experientment to flee Spidey, who had him beat.I couldhonestly see him back if they keep making them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"