Dogma

Horrorfan

Superhero
Reaction score
Does anyone else really love this movie?

I'm not a fan of smith's work in general. I find his movies to be mostly mediocre.

But I thought this was fantastic.

I remember the uproar when the movie hit, and after seeing it, I thought ''wow, this movie is so right'', because the protestors completely missed the point of the movie, and the message it has.

I felt the same way as Bethany about God and religion at times, but never truly lost my faith. I also don't really subscribe to just one religion with one rule....I always thought that was humanity's main mistake/misinterpretation when it comes to God, and is the main cause of religious conflict.

I just thought this movie was awesome. Great acting, great message and great humour. For all the **** affleck gets, I thought he did a fantastic job.

Any other thoughts on this underrated movie?

I didn't like Dogma at all, and I like most of Smith's work. This was too ambitious, and as a result, overwrought and over-written. It wasn't fun nor funny, as most Smith films are, and I think his trying to be serious in certain parts caused the film to fall flat on its face. Also, Chris Rock acted HORRIBLY in the movie.

It was a colossal embarrassment.
I actually watch it once a year or so, just to shake my head at the trainwreck. Also enjoy a few seconds of Salma's pigtails, etc.

It makes no sense, Matt Damon and Affleck suck the huge one as they deliver that trademark "atrocious, I'm trying to be clever but no one talks this way and every character is actually just my voice" Smith/Tarantino- style dialogue.

It made me sad for Linda Fiorentino (who had the uneviable job of being the only good actor involved, trying to make preposterous amateurish writing fly, somehow), Lady Aberlaine and the eminently unfunny George Carlin and the Alanis' part gave me incredible bad-goodebumps.

Kevin Smith is a funny, cool guy as a person, in real life. It'd be fun to hang out with him, play poker, talk comics and movies, etc.
Just Jesus, please stop them from giving him money to make these horrible movies!

They're worse than Uwe Boll actually because Boll is just a ****** and it's fun to laugh at him, but KS is not a ******, so it's unfun to watch him continually fail when his intentions are so good. :(

No, when he unfolds his angel wings, I've seen less awkwardly animated wings at TGI Friday's. :o

Yeah, the angel wings are probably the best special effect I have seen in my life.
Better than Terminator 2, LOTR, SW, Titanic, Matrix and everything else :up:

I'm sure God agrees on this one.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I didn't like Dogma at all, and I like most of Smith's work. This was too ambitious, and as a result, overwrought and over-written. It wasn't fun nor funny, as most Smith films are, and I think his trying to be serious in certain parts caused the film to fall flat on its face. Also, Chris Rock acted HORRIBLY in the movie.

Which movies has Chris Rock not been horrible in? I actually think it's one of his better performances since he wasn't constantly screaming lol.

Anywho, I generally enjoy this movie. One of the best parts is when they go to that office and start revealing everyone's sins.

"But you forgot to say God bless you!"

I'm really not a big fan of it myself.

There are moments when Chris Rock was talking serious, and it was absolutely so forced and awkward, like he was reading right from the script at that moment. He was trying to infuse some dramatic swagger into his delivery, and it in turn failed and came across as extremely fake and laughably pathetic. Yet another point when the movie ground to a screeching halt.

my teacher scuplted the buddy christ statue.

im proud to say it.

Wow, I'm surprised at all the hate this movie's getting--it's tied with Chasing Amy as Smith's best work. :up:

it was good, but not his best.

there's to much going on in it, all that stuff chris rock talks about when they're at Mooby's, that sort of stuff. also, i don;t really like matt damon....jason lee would have been better in his place:cmad:

plus to be honest i only watched it for allan rickman:o

At least it's not Jersey Girl. :up:
Chasing Amy is his best. :o

chasing amy has some great characters, like banky and hooper X, but i still think that mallrats is his best, if we're going for pruely laughs.

if we're going for plot and character development and the likes then chasing amy is probably his best.

also....JASBSB wasn;t that good:(

I thought it was pretty dam funny, not the best Jay and Bob movie but it was still good

Wilhelm-Scream said:
No, when he unfolds his angel wings, I've seen less awkwardly animated wings at TGI Friday's. :o

TGI Friday's doesn't have any animated wings, so to say that non-existent wings are better than the ones in Dogma implies that the wings in Dogma are really really poorly done.

I liked it. The story gets a bit too complex with all the names and ****. I think Chasing Amy is his worst. It was just an excuse to use all the gay/lesbian jokes and overly disgusting sexual stuff and make a profit from it.

Spidey-Bat said:
I liked it. The story gets a bit too complex with all the names and ****. I think Chasing Amy is his worst. It was just an excuse to use all the gay/lesbian jokes and overly disgusting sexual stuff and make a profit from it.

Now, when you say names, do you mean the names of the characters? Are you saying you couldn't keep track of the names of the characters?

Great film and I love what Chris Rock character said about religion on the train. Kevin Smith's movies are great but no one ever notices how good his films are.

Dogma is my favorite religion-based movie... and, i think it touches on a few pretty important points, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"