Doom 2099 Pat Broderick Beef with Warren Ellis

chamber-music

Infinity Ammo
Reaction score
Artist Pat Broderick on the cancellation of Doom 2099
Seventies, eighties and nineties industry artist Pat Broderick has been talking about his career over at Comicon and... boy. Here's a few quotes.

"I landed the Iron Fist job from Marvel and moved back to Tampa where I then lost the job to John Byrne. Who says that I told the editor that my cat ate the art, which was wrong John, although you’ll insist otherwise, I told him correctly that the cat had destroyed the pages Actually he took a dump on them then tried to use what he shredded to cover it up with."

"I landed the Micronauts job and stayed on that title until Jim Shooter drove me away. Jim used to love to mess with certain people while he was editor and chief. And Basically told me over a conference call with myself and Weezy, my editor that he didn’t care how well the title was selling I would never get a raise while he was there."

"At the time my youngest son Ryan had developed a very serious, life threatening medical condition and the major medical coverage which DC offered to all contracted freelancers actually turned out to be a 30,000 dollar family policy. When I pointed this out the DC’s upper management they actually tried to use my son’s illness and a promise of a better policy as a negotiation point for extending my contract another four years."

"my all time best series. Doom 2099. All most 3 years later and the world was just fine. Until that British a** hole writer came on board and decided he would change everything that we’d had laid in place. So he got me removed from the series after we had a heated run in. And to my satisfaction the series was cancelled after only five more issues."

From CBR

Ellis response from Daily_Scans
Wonderful.

Just for the record, I came on the book with #26, and left with #39. I quit because a crossover event was planned that I felt would kill the book. The book was in fact cancelled five issues after I left, with #44.

Well, it's not like the editor didn't know what I was going to do. From what I remember -- and this is a pretty long time ago, now! -- I wanted to clear out some of the cast, get some stakes happening and put the focus solidly on political-sf scenarios. The editorial team knew my take and hired me on that basis.

Steve Pugh drew most of my issues. Ash Wood did one, John Buscema did one. I may be forgetting someone.

Broderick seems to think he got a raw deal. Doom was my favourite of the 2099 comics especially beacuse its a story about Dystopian cyberpunk Supervillains.

Broderick just sounds bitter.

I loved the 2099 line. Don't really care about anyone who wrote or drew most of it though. I was too young to care. (though I later grew to appreciate Ron Lim)

Remember that Spider-Man Unlimited show that was basically Spider-Man 2099 only with Peter Parker, not in the future, and on an Earth on the opposite side of the sun?

Remember that Spider-Man Unlimited show that was basically Spider-Man 2099 only with Peter Parker, not in the future, and on an Earth on the opposite side of the sun?

Who can forget? It was the second worst Marvel cartoon of all time.

The first being AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND, of course.

I can't remember it well enough to even say but it would've been a million times better if they just followed the original 2099 story/concept/plot/etc. But Batman Beyond was pretty kick-ass. I guess it's what Spidey Unlimited wished it could be.

You know what though? This thread just inspired me to check out some Hulk 2099! I was pretty young to really understand what the deal was with that comic and I only got one issue anyway.

I suggest starting with 2099 Unlimited, which was where Hulk 2099 started. The 1st 6 issues was his origin story if I'm not mistaken. And he appeared here and there after that. Then he had his 10 issue series, then had his conclusion in a oneshot called 2099 Apocalypse.

I love me my 2099.

Doom 2099 #1 was so phenomenal that a year or 2 ago I bought the whole series.
I did like some chunks of it but I thought the stories that took place almost all in the virtual world were a complete waste. The last chunk of series issues were also a waste.

In the end I kept long probably around 25 issues and sold the rest off. None of the rest of the series matched the greatness of that first issue though in my opinion.

Awesome. Thanks, JH!

No problem. And something I forgot. In some of the 25th issues of the other titles (Spider-Man and Doom I think, Maybe Punisher and Ravage) there was a Hulk story that continued between the issues. That story leads directly into Hulk 2099 #1. So you may want to pick that up too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"