Doomsday Lives!

Who said Darkseid is supposed to be invincible? I just want him to be a universal threat again, as he was intended to be when Kirby created him. That can't happen if he can get his ass kicked in a one-on-one fight against Superman. Take Galactus, for example. Galactus isn't invincible, but he's a credible universal threat. Why? Because a single Earth hero doesn't stand a chance in hell of defeating him (provided he's not starving), so when he comes calling the heroes have to work a lot harder to beat him. How threatening is Darkseid if, when he comes to Earth, everyone just laughs and calls Superman to dropkick his ass back to Apokolips with ease?

Darkseid is meant to be a God though, he's meant to be studpily powerful. As I said the Green Lantern Corps and Guardians are forbidden to go to Apokolips because of a war they had where 2400 lanterns were killed. Granted Raker was able to go toe to toe with him but he is meant to be the best Lantern there ever was in a time when there were only handfuls of Lanterns (so individual Lanterns were more powerful) they actually first recruited 2600 Lanterns to try and beat Darkseid.

The Darkseid we have been seeing in the last few years, almost all of post-crisis would not be powerful enough to handle the Corps - no way would the Lanterns be unable to beat him - when Superman and Batman can go toe to toe with him.

Darkseid has weaknesses he isn't ultimatly powerful but he is a universal threat and it is fun to actually have universal threats now and again, justifying teams like the Lanterns, Dark Stars, Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N. etc.

My problem with Doomsday is that he is a walking plot device, a rabid killing machine who after each time he is killed, restores himself and can't be killed like that again... he serves no other perpose than to kill Superman. Darkseid is a more interesting character (who when well used - isn't just a plot to give Superman a loss) who has just been badly handled for many years.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Powerful does not equal good. Darkseid was a powerful villain who's good. Doomsday is a powerful villain who has absolutely no depth and very few prospects for depth barring a total overhaul of the character, which they already tried with his evolution to a thinking being. That kind of fell flat.

Agreed .... although Doomsdays always looked cool.

A walking plot device or not, his appearnaces are always appreciated. I think the Joker should get hold of him and make him a little more 'interseting'. A jokerfied Doomsady would be extremely cool. :)

Well....I think Darkseid is weaker now cause Raven sacrificed some of her humanity into Darkseid during the war at worlds story. Emotions play heavy when you fight...thus....causing him to lose easily now? I'm just making a guess

yahman said:
Agreed .... although Doomsdays always looked cool.

A walking plot device or not, his appearnaces are always appreciated. I think the Joker should get hold of him and make him a little more 'interseting'. A jokerfied Doomsady would be extremely cool. :)
He's good for the occasional rampage, but that's kind of boring at this point to me. I'd prefer if he were just scrapped altogether or made a slave of some more interesting villain. Maybe Mongul Jr. could set up War World again and have Doomsday be his top fighter or something.

TheCorpulent1 said:
He's good for the occasional rampage, but that's kind of boring at this point to me. I'd prefer if he were just scrapped altogether or made a slave of some more interesting villain. Maybe Mongul Jr. could set up War World again and have Doomsday be his top fighter or something.

That i would have been nothing short of genius, had plannet Hulk arc not been made ! :)

They could work on him developing some form of interllect. Maybe they could have a 'Hecullian' scenario, where he has to attone for hsi past sins by performing several tasks. :)

What's Darkseid's current status? Last I knew he was stuck on the source wall in S/B. I would kill for the next big crossover to involve a fully powered Darkseid at the helm.

There is nothing wrong with Darkseid being a two dimensional character, if you can call him a character at all. He is the DCU's killing machine, and that's all he really needs to be. It's not like he's going to get his own mini.

regwec said:
There is nothing wrong with Darkseid being a two dimensional character, if you can call him a character at all.
I hope you meant Doomsday.

I'm sure he did, because I don't think it's possible to say such an untrue thing about Darkseid.

I dunno, have you read his last few apperances?

ME CRUSH. ME GET ANTI-LIFE EQUATION. OH NO BATMAN HIT ME.

GRRR I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME GADGET.

And so on.

That's only because it was that Superman/Batman arc. That sucked for several reasons:

1) Loeb wrote it and Tim Sale didn't draw it
2) Michael Turner did draw it
3) The new Supergirl was in it
4) Nothing in Superman/Batman has been good since the first arc (except maybe the current one, depending on how it ends).

yenaled said:
Darkseid is meant to be a God though, he's meant to be studpily powerful. As I said the Green Lantern Corps and Guardians are forbidden to go to Apokolips because of a war they had where 2400 lanterns were killed. Granted Raker was able to go toe to toe with him but he is meant to be the best Lantern there ever was in a time when there were only handfuls of Lanterns (so individual Lanterns were more powerful) they actually first recruited 2600 Lanterns to try and beat Darkseid.

The Darkseid we have been seeing in the last few years, almost all of post-crisis would not be powerful enough to handle the Corps - no way would the Lanterns be unable to beat him - when Superman and Batman can go toe to toe with him.

Darkseid has weaknesses he isn't ultimatly powerful but he is a universal threat and it is fun to actually have universal threats now and again, justifying teams like the Lanterns, Dark Stars, Omega Men, L.E.G.I.O.N. etc.

My problem with Doomsday is that he is a walking plot device, a rabid killing machine who after each time he is killed, restores himself and can't be killed like that again... he serves no other perpose than to kill Superman. Darkseid is a more interesting character (who when well used - isn't just a plot to give Superman a loss) who has just been badly handled for many years.

Well, Darkseid didn't beat the Corpse through sheer power. He beat them through superior tactics. He gold plated all of his soldiers' body armor and had them switch to gold plated mele weapons. Yellow weakness, and all.

Given that the majority of the Corps is still composed of raw recruits, that gold-plating strategy might work this time, too. :p

TheCorpulent1 said:
I hope you meant Doomsday.
Of course- a break down in the mind-fingers coalition.

yahman said:
A jokerfied Doomsady would be extremely cool. :)

That was already done in Superman #175
supes175.jpg

TheCorpulent1 said:
That's what Whirlysplat said in the Marvel forums. I'd never heard of it before he mentioned it, but I'm not at all averse to that being the case. Unlike Thanos, Darkseid started out well beyond the likes of Superman and deserves to return to that.

So did Thanos:confused:

Drax the star ripping destroyer was created to kill the guy for pete sake

newmexneon said:
That was already done in Superman #175
supes175.jpg

Er all Joker did was release him, he wasn't "jokerfied"

He was a complete joke though:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"