Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Coming to the Big Screen

I gotta say, my jaw dropped the first time I saw the trailer in 3D.

Movie looks damn cool.

I'd go just to hear Danny DeVito alone..

I've always thought that STOP MOTION would be perfect for any Seuss movie. ah well.
TOTALLY. Stop motion is an underused and under-appreciated medium. Seus would be one of those things it'd be perfect for.

Out of all the Dr.Seuss books this one has the most powerful message that I hope doesn't get shafted for glittery pop culture references and amoeba minded jokes.

This needs to be done with care otherwise its pointless to adapt.

Yeah, about that....

well thats pretty damn disrespectful lol does'nt that commercial go against everything this story is about lol

whats next a bambi commercial selling hunting gear

Last edited:
I can't believe that. :doh:

Universal should have gotten these kids to promote the movie instead...since they clearly understand the point of the story better than they do:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Movies/vic...f=.T0MbsVO_hqo.like&fb_source=profile_oneline

Victory for 'the Lorax': Change.Org Helps Students' Petition Reach Hollywood

The fourth-graders in Ted Wells' class were thrilled to find out the Dr. Seuss environmental tale, "The Lorax," was being turned into a movie, but when a visit to the film's website uncovered not one mention of trees, the students headed to Change.org.

"I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on Earth that are on their way out!" says the Lorax in the book.

The Dr. Seuss character "spoke for the trees," so in mid-December, Wells' Park School class in Brookline, Mass., decided to speak for the Lorax and environmentalists everywhere.

They launched a petition online at Change.org -- a social media website where supporters post petitions in hopes of getting change from governments or corporations.

Last year, petitions on the site won battles over Bank of America's bank fees and Verizon's online payment fees.

'Green Up' This Website

The kids aimed for the same success -- asking that Universal Studios add an environmental message to the film's promotional website.

"We're encouraging Universal to make an improved 'Lorax' movie website that Dr. Seuss would be proud of," read the students' petition on Change.org.

"This movie can show the world we should not take our sky, water, trees and animals for granted," it read. "We think Universal Pictures needs to 'green up' this website."

Word spread about the petition and more than 57,000 people added their signatures. Then Universal took notice. Alongside the movie clips are now tips on saving the planet and, specifically, the trees.

Universal told ABC News that although it had planned to add environmental tips, the petition had expedited the marketing campaign and gotten the tips added to the website more quickly.

"Mr. Wells and his [fourth-grade] class are wonderful messengers for the Lorax and we're pleased to have them as allies in raising awareness to the important message of Dr. Seuss's beloved children's book," a Universal spokesperson said in an email.

Meanwhile...Fox News is mad at The Lorax, and is suggesting that kids throw their garbage on the floor of the movie theater in protest:

[YT]RuFcWkFJZgk&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

:facepalm:

So they're afraid that they wont' be able to convert their kids into environment hating bigwigs like themselves. Recycling is such a bad thing?

Apparently, sales of Dr. Suess books have gone up as the movie's release date gets closer:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universals-lorax-drives-dr-seuss-294788

Universal's 'The Lorax' Drives Dr. Seuss Book Sales Higher Ahead of Release

Such classics as "Green Eggs and Ham" and "The Cat in the Hat" have also risen on a list of best-selling books.

NEW YORK - Universal Pictures' animated Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is set to hit theaters on March 2, but anticipation and buzz have already driven sales of Dr. Seuss books higher, The New York Post reported.

The Lorax itself is number 59 on USA Today's latest list of best-selling books, up from the 171th rank that it held last week, the paper highlighted. But the positive effect on book sales doesn't seem to stop there as several other Dr. Seuss classics have also recorded gains.

Green Eggs and Ham has jumped from number 219 to 47 on the book sales list, while One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish has climbed to the 64th spot, up from 336, according to the Post. And The Cat in the Hat has risen from rank 392 to the number 93.

Lorax features the voices of Zac Efron, Taylor Swift and Danny DeVito.

So now kids are reading and getting movie studios to change their websites to include tips on helping the environment.

Fox News must be pissed. :oldrazz:

So they're afraid that they wont' be able to convert their kids into environment hating bigwigs like themselves. Recycling is such a bad thing?

And again, they're missing the point of the story: the Once-ler destroyed all of the Truffula trees, so his business was lost as well. And he had the last Truffula seed, but he destroyed the land so badly with the smog and slime that his factory also produced that he couldn't plant it there.

If he'd just been more careful, it didn't need to be that way.

Read Across America March 2, 2012

Get involved! NEA’s Read Across America Day is a nationwide reading celebration that takes place annually on March 2—Dr. Seuss’s birthday. Across the country, thousands of schools, libraries, and community centers participate by bringing together kids, teens, and books, and you can too! Incorporate these guides and activities to celebrate reading with young people.

I'm going to take my son to the local library for their special little storybook time for the event.

I found some really cool crafts to do when he's older to celebrate Dr. Suess Day. :o

Even though the Mazda commercial put a bad taste in my mouth, I'm still taking my son to see The Lorax. :yay:

Nikki Finke says that The Lorax is projected to gross around $68M in its opening weekend. And she originally wasn't going to do her box-office column while she was on vacation... guess that number changed her mind.

I'm shocked it's grossed that much. But I should've expected a big number, considering the matinee shows on Saturday (especially the super bargain one at 4 p.m.) were PACKED. And I'm talking about the 2D shows, the 3D shows only brought in a quarter of that amount.

Nikki Finke says that The Lorax is projected to gross around $68M in its opening weekend. And she originally wasn't going to do her box-office column while she was on vacation... guess that number changed her mind.

I'm shocked it's grossed that much. But I should've expected a big number, considering the matinee shows on Saturday (especially the super bargain one at 4 p.m.) were PACKED. And I'm talking about the 2D shows, the 3D shows only brought in a quarter of that amount.

An animated movie aimed at children based on a very popular book?

I'm not surprised. :word:

I am the Lorax, and I gets money, *****aaaaaaaa!!!!

Seriously The Dr Suess movies should've stayed Animated to begin with. The Grinch in live action was ok Cat in the Hat was bad. Horton hears a who was average and the Lorax was actually pretty good. Seriously though they should Release a New Dr Seuss movie close to March 2nd because after all it was Dr. Seuss birthday.

Seriously The Dr Suess movies should've stayed Animated to begin with. The Grinch in live action was ok Cat in the Hat was bad. Horton hears a who was average and the Lorax was actually pretty good. Seriously though they should Release a New Dr Seuss movie close to March 2nd because after all it was Dr. Seuss birthday.
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a Green Eggs and Ham movie yet. There are ways to stretch that story into 90 minutes.

When I first heard of this movie, I was almost certain it would be terrible. (Hated the Horton Hears A Who! movie..) But the more previews I see, the more I want to see it.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a Green Eggs and Ham movie yet. There are ways to stretch that story into 90 minutes.
This will be the next one. I'm calling it now.

This movie was great. I didn't know Ed Helms was actually that good of singer, probably because the Hangover films was just in jest singing, should definitely do a musical.

THAT is the one I've been waiting on. 1 Fish 2 Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish too.

They said they may try and do Green Eggs at some point. Somebody suggested they do it as some kind of satire on the culinary industry. Food critics, Top Chef-type stuff.

The one thing this flick did right is the songs. They're catchy as hell, I mean Disney catchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"