Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Coming to the Big Screen

I haven't seen this, but has anyone else's theater been having messages before the movie with the Lorax telling the audience to silence their cell phones? I've gotten that for the past few movies I've seen, it's pretty funny.

/\ I saw that in Los Angeles before one movie.

Before this movie the Lorax enters in front of curtains and begins to tell the story like it's a play almost which was cool and I guess kind of goes along with that similar idea.

After the massive fail of Wanderlust, Universal needed a big hit in the worst way. Well, they got it with The Lorax.

After the massive fail of Wanderlust, Universal needed a big hit in the worst way. Well, they got it with The Lorax.

I'm still shocked The Lorax has done as well as it has. I know it's based off a popular Suess book and had the entire creative team from Despicable Me behind it (directors, studio, animation team)... but wow, $70M is an impressive opening for a non-Pixar/Dreamworks animated movie.

Considering this is the first kids movie in three months, I expect it to hold extremely well. I wouldn't be surprised if it's domestic cume eclipses Despicable Me.

/\ I saw that in Los Angeles before one movie.

Before this movie the Lorax enters in front of curtains and begins to tell the story like it's a play almost which was cool and I guess kind of goes along with that similar idea.

That's the one.

I'm still shocked The Lorax has done as well as it has. I know it's based off a popular Suess book and had the entire creative team from Despicable Me behind it (directors, studio, animation team)... but wow, $70M is an impressive opening for a non-Pixar/Dreamworks animated movie.

Considering this is the first kids movie in three months, I expect it to hold extremely well. I wouldn't be surprised if it's domestic cume eclipses Despicable Me.

It had been projected in the $30 million range at the box office.

It's kind of annoying how conservatives (Fox News, etc) are complaining that this movie is "Liberal propaganda", when it really isn't. Can't we all agree that the environment needs to be taken care of and if we become blinded by greed and fail to realize how our actions are impacting the greater picture (like The Once-ler) we're going to be in serious trouble? But no. All they see is "OMGZ CORPORATIONS ARE BAD!!11! LIBERALISM!!!", which I doubt was Dr. Seuss's intent with this story at all. And, by the way, do they not realize that the book has been in existence for decades? Why weren't they shouting this tripe then?

/\ I kinda find it funny that fox news is complaining about a fox movie.

/\ I kinda find it funny that fox news is complaining about a fox movie.

It's actually a Universal film.

However, this is now 2 children's films (The Lorax and The Muppets) that they've accused of trying to promote anti-capitalism by showing corporations as evildoers that are trying to destroy enviromental hippie tree huggers.

That's not what either of those movies are about, however, it's mostly the plot to Avatar.

Which is a Fox film. :cwink:

I haven't gotten a chance to see this yet, but I've been listening to the music, and I actually like it quite a bit. My favorite is "How Bad Can I Be?". I love how at some point during it the title question changes to something almost like The Once-ler making a challenge to himself.

But, I kind of wish this deleted song "Biggering" was in its place. It's darker. Feels more operatic and in tone with the book:
[YT]oZcO1z5-GRI&feature=related[/YT]

Last edited:
http://www.4shared.com/mp3/maLjAH2e/02_-_Thneedville_2.html

This was my favorite song in the flick. It's funnier when you see what they're doing onscreen though.

Yeah, the musical numbers in the film were quite good. I generally have utterly no interest in just about all kids/family/cartoon films(I got roped into taking a younger family member to see this film) and while I was totally snoozing by 2/3 of the way into it I do recall that opening song number being very catchy.

I tried watching this but I was bored as heck.

I liked it but I also felt disappointed. It was much too heavy-handed with its environmental story, which was uneven, and the movie tie-ins were ironically unenvironmental choices.

They tinkered too much with the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"