Dramatic Reimagining of ‘Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ in the Works

Ha random. But it’s a bit of a shame and a missed opportunity to explore that there’s more to the black experience than pain and tragedy while at the same time not ignoring all the serious issues.

but I guess times change and so must we all

I can see why they got hired. That was a really good trailer.

First Sabrina the Teenage Witch, now Fresh Prince... where's my dark and edgy version of PERFECT STRANGERS, in which Balki is a sleeper cell agent sent by the fascist dictator of Mypos to disrupt American elections?

I never regularly watched Fresh Prince but I did like what they did with it. A gritty reboot of it is the last thing I expected. I guess with BLM and the current state of things, seeing an otherwise happy, well adjusted black family on television is not acceptable to Hollywood? Cash in on the angst.

I know Black-ish is still going along with it's spinoffs but if they want to add a serious drama involving a black family now, why not do something original rather than rehash Fresh Prince as this?

I remember seeing this last year, which was amusing and Smith's reaction, which was cool.

I honestly didn't think it'd get this far (as a drama) because of the show's status in pop culture as a comedy (with some dramatic moments - you all know what I'm talking about). I had assumed if anything came from it, it'd lead to a comedic series (a true reboot rather than a sequel since I didn't see Smith doing a show outside of producing it) and Hollywood LOVES doing reboots and sequels, especially in this age of big media corporation mergers.

About a year ago, they announced a spin-off/sequel to the original aeries. Wonder if that’s still happening?

Now this is the story all about how...a remake was never more unnecessary

I, and most everyone else, don't care if something is original as long as it's good.

This just sounds dumb and I just don't see why do it. Fresh Prince is a great comedy. Yes it's very 90s but people watch it today and still love it. People of all ages.
Why make a dramatic version of that?
Because the base premise is catnip in our current times. A tweak here or there and you have a prestige show with the Fresh Prince brand name - good or bad no wonder streaming services are falling over themselves.

Not all that interested myself right now but it has potential as long as the Smiths stay off screen.

Would it be worse if they kept the central idea of doing Fresh Prince as a drama except changing details and the title or just doing Fresh Prince as a drama?

Like is it worse to be a Fresh Prince remake or a show that draws comparisons without any of the character names or the show title?

Would it be worse if they kept the central idea of doing Fresh Prince as a drama except changing details and the title or just doing Fresh Prince as a drama?

Like is it worse to be a Fresh Prince remake or a show that draws comparisons without any of the character names or the show title?

Worse being a remake. But they won’t drop the name cause that’s their big selling point. Otherwise they’re just a drama show like 15 million others.

Worse being a remake. But they won’t drop the name cause that’s their big selling point. Otherwise they’re just a drama show like 15 million others.
That's what I think as well more or less but I don't see the premise anywhere else right now so there's that.

3b7c52fe60f526f17547ab260bc1e608.gif

I’m genuinely shocked.

They must be serving ice water in Hell.

Never thought I’d see the day when they interact with each other again!

Pretty awesome they brought back the original Aunt Viv to appear in this reunion special

Looking forward to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"