Dune

Tad Fatherton

Civilian
Reaction score
who else loved the david lynch version of dune? i thought it was fantastic. if i could, i would pay to get him to make that movie again without any limitations so that it could be as true to the book as he wanted it to be with awesome special effects.

the sci-fi versions sucked. they actually had the nerve to call themselves "frank Herbert's dune"

yes!!!!

I hate when people tell me the crappy sci fi channel versions are better, they are sooooo bad!!!! I love Dune, its one of my fav sci fi movies. The only problem I have with it is the choppiness of the last 4th. I wish they would let David Lynch do a REAL extended version not that crappy version that came out on the last dvd with added b-roll footage..

Tad Fatherton said:
who else loved the david lynch version of dune? i thought it was fantastic. if i could, i would pay to get him to make that movie again without any limitations so that it could be as true to the book as he wanted it to be with awesome special effects.

the sci-fi versions sucked. they actually had the nerve to call themselves "frank Herbert's dune"

They both have their negatives and pluses.

The latter was far more accurate to the books however.

The Lynch version has some good "surreal film school" moments, but as an adaptation of a great, great book it fails.

The Sci-Fi version tries harder to show respect for Frank Herbert, but the quality of the acting (especially Paul Atriedes, the Emperor and Stilgar; even William Hurt is a little flat) really drags it down. Children of Dune was really good, though.

Upset Spideyfan said:
They both have their negatives and pluses.

The latter was far more accurate to the books however.
the extended version of david lynch's dune is much much much closer to the book than the sci fi channel versions. i know its easy to point out the flaws in lynch's movie like the weirding modules and such, but in actuality those are just minor things compared to what the sci fi channel versions got wrong.

its too bad lynch didn't get to make dune messiah and children of dune as well because the sci fi versions are so far off. the ending of children of dune is so far removed from the book that i was actually upset when it ended.

I felt like the Sci Fi Channel version got the Paul character completely wrong.

So much so that I only made it about an hour and a half in before I turned it off. He was a total brat.

i love both versions,

David Lynch did fantastic things with his version, but i have to ask what the deal was with those stupid sound modulating weapons.

the lynch version was much more atmospheric!

Tad Fatherton said:
the extended version of david lynch's dune is much much much closer to the book than the sci fi channel versions. i know its easy to point out the flaws in lynch's movie like the weirding modules and such, but in actuality those are just minor things compared to what the sci fi channel versions got wrong.

How so?

And its not just minor things, Lynch's Dune ends completely different from the book, there's almost little to no development with Paul's relationship with Chani (sp?), the Baron comes off less cunning, Paul doesn't have a son who is murdered, etc.

I'm not saying the Lynch version is bad mind you, but its more than just a few minor changes.

Upset Spideyfan said:
How so?

And its not just minor things, Lynch's Dune ends completely different from the book, there's almost little to no development with Paul's relationship with Chani (sp?), the Baron comes off less cunning, Paul doesn't have a son who is murdered, etc.

I'm not saying the Lynch version is bad mind you, but its more than just a few minor changes.

Well, I'd think they were adapting the first Dune, not Children.

Upset Spideyfan said:
How so?

The reason behind some of these problems (not all) is that they made Lynch cut a whole lot of the movie out.

^^^
I fully understand that, but that doesn't change the facts.

Let me say though, I still think Lynch made a good movie.

MaskedManJRK said:
Well, I'd think they were adapting the first Dune, not Children.

:huh: That was in the first Dune.

New "Dune" Film In The Works
By Garth Franklin
Thursday August 30th 2007 12:25am
Frank Herbert's "Dune" novels remain amongst the most impossible literature properties to translate onto the screen, but that won't stop people from trying.

C.H.U.D. reports that Byron Merritt, the adminstrator of the official Dune novel forums and a member of the Herbert family, says that after months of ongoing negotiations, things are coming to a head for a new feature film version of the property.

Back in May he said they were "still in negotiations with the studio reps/lawyers. The contract lengths are enough to make one ill...We're getting VERY close to a deal. Heard that news today...we've had on-going negotiations for over two years."

He followed that up with this posting last Friday: "We're getting VERY close to a deal. Heard that news today. I've heard that "someone" at the studio wants Dune reallllly bad and has been a fan of the novel for "years." They're not saying who this is (and it might just be hype) but I'm holding out hope that whoever this might be is a big enough fan that he/she will do the book justice. Supposedly it's some director."

The property has been twice adapted before - 1984's David Lynch-directed big budget feature film which was a famous nightmare behind the scenes and butchered the source material, or 2000's Sci-Fi Channel mini-series which was much more accurate to the books but suffered from generally flat reviews and budgeting issues.

http://aintitcool.com/node/34449
RUMOR: More On That New DUNE Project We've Been Hearing About!! Studio?? Director??
Merrick here...

A few weeks ago, a source named Checkyr plunged us into a Hell of Hells by informing us that Brett Ratner would direct the ESCAPE FOR NEW YORK remake instead of Len Wiseman. You can find that article HERE.

While this information has yet to be officially announced (in trades, or whatnot), it was quickly (and unfortunately) confirmed by THIS REPORT AT IESB.

Now, Checkyr is back with a new...extremely intriguing...tasty morsel for us to gnaw on. Due to a variety of factors, PLEASE TREAT THE FOLLOWING AS A WELL-FOUNDED RUMOR - there is a margin for error, if for no other reason than the situation we're talking about may be quite fluid.

For context: A while back, Byron Merritt (Frank Herbert's grandson) posted the following to a DUNE forum:

“We're getting VERY close to a deal. Heard that news today,” he posted on Friday, following that up with, “Although only rumor, I've heard that "someone" at the studio wants Dune reallllly bad and has been a fan of the novel for "years." They're not saying who this is (and it might just be hype) but I'm holding out hope that whoever this might be is a big enough fan that he/she will do the book justice. Supposedly it's some director.”

Intriguing.

Now, Checkyr has filled in the blanks for us. Checkyr's message fleshes out not only Merritt's posting, but pieces together other tidbits that've been swirling about for the past few weeks.

In short, Checkyr says the studio in question is Paramount...which is aggressively building a formidable arsenal of franchises via TRANSFORMERS, JJ Abrams' STAR TREK re-deployment, and spin-off potential built into INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL.

And the director in question? Writer/Director Peter Berg. He directed FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, THE RUNDOWN (hooray for monkey love!), and...more recently...THE KINGDOM.

I think this is a very promising combo, myself - Berg's film making has a lot of gusto and style. It's tempting to immediately denounce this project considering we've already been through David Lynch's 1984 version, and the Sci Fi Channel miniseries back in 2000. However, neither of those adaptations tipped it through the hoop as far as I'm concerned...I'm more than willing to watch someone else take a shot.

And, besides, who can get their fill of the blatant sexual symbolism to be found in people riding atop big, fat, spice-filled worms?

And, if this news actualizes, there's one more thing to consider: strange things happen at Paramount. Strange things like, say, Shia LaBeouf showing up in TRANSFORMERS...or in INDIANA JONES.

Somewhere...in the shadow of that water tower...has someone quietly thought (or even dared to speak aloud) the notion...

"Shia LaBeouf is Muadib?"

I have no knowledge of this.

I'm just joking.

I think.

If this goes forward, maybe my kid will...at long last...stop saying: "For he is the Knick-Knack Paddywhack!". Please, Berg, make him respect it!

Berg did a good job with "The Kingdom" showing culture clash so I think visually he can do it but the narrative is going to be hard to fit in a 2 hour movie.

I wouldnt mind a new Dune movie at all, in fact i would look forward to it, the DL was ok and it had its merits, but the book needs a better adaptation that can lead to sequels.

I JUST saw this for the first time not long ago. Strange movie, but not so strange if you're familiar with Lynch. Definitely not your typical sci-fi movie. I haven't read the book so I can't speak for tone, but it was almost like the Lynch version didn't take itself totally seriously like a lot of sci-fi does. Interesting movie nonetheless.

It is definately an interesting movie, and it does have some great moments in, but a movie more faithful to the book should have been made IMO.

This question is for all the fans of Dune. I saw the movie(Lynch's) when I was younger and felt it was alright in a weird way. I'm just curious as to what are the reasons you, the fans, liked about it so much.

Best moment of Lynch's Dune is his cameo as the Spice macine operator..

Damn the spice!!!

[YT]TrjhK0bokdE[/YT]

this movie is a must every single holiday at my parents house, my father just goes and hides in the basement watching dune and maybe the lord of the rings movies, but most definitely Dune. and i must agree with him that it is one of the best sci fi movies of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"