Dune

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Hunter Rider, Dec 21, 2007.

1. PunyGod Astronomer

What is everyone's realistic predictions for box office? Because I remain pessimistic. Neither the property nor the director have had any huge success before. And there are no major actors. Plus its a very difficult film to market.

TheVileOne likes this.
  2. DarkKnight88 Registered

Sounds like pre-2001 Lord of the Rings.

3. TheVileOne Registered

Arrival did fairly well at the box office, but it also had about a fraction of the budget this movie will have.

I don't know how you turn Dune into a crowd-pleasing blockbuster, but we'll see. I think it is difficult material to market unless massive changes are made.

The problem with Dune is that the "heroes" of the story aren't really traditionally heroic. Paul Atreides does a lot of morally questionable things in this story. It has a lot of complex world-building, a lot of sci-fi weirdness.

Dune has about as much in common with Lord of the Rings as Zack Snyder films to Robert Rodriguez ones.

I think the similarities are that they both have a lot of intense worldbuilding, they are serialized stories and epics in their respective genres. Dune is like this great sci-fi epic saga. Lord of the Rings is an epic fantasy saga. IMHO that's where their similarities end.

Except in Lord of the Rings, you have benevolent, pure of heart heroes who always try to do the right thing and generally almost always avoid try taking morally ambiguous or grey acts. It's generally about the battle of good against the ultimate evil.

There are points in Dune, where Paul basically himself is the big bad. I'm not sure if moviegoers will be able to come to grips with and accept that.

My point is? What does Lord of the Rings have going for it?

* You have some rugged handsome male leads and heroes
    * Ragtag band of heroes who want to protect their homes and loved ones from dark evil creatures and an evil dark lord
    * Bad guys who are basically just cruel evil, vile bad guys who want to rule and destroy and plunder and take over
    * Mostly good guys who always strive to do the right thing. The ones who are corrupted or tempted by the powers of the ring are usually given a chance to redeem themselves.
    * It's basically the pure medieval fantasy version of Star Wars at the end of the day. Dune does not have those qualities. Paul's journey is a lot darker and more twisted. It's not "fun."

4. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

If this movie is critically acclaimed, the audience will come. It won't pull Endgame level audiences, but if it's done well it will make money.

Sithborg and TheVileOne like this.
  5. PunyGod Astronomer

I would argue that LOTR also had more recognition & anticipation even from people who had never read the books. I remember there was a lot of hype around it and it was one of the earliest films to make heavy use of internet marketing.

Dune on the other hand is considered a somewhat inaccessible and esoteric world even among sci-fi fans. If the general public has any memory of it it's from being one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. And young people have next to zero knowledge about it. And the box office is driven by young people.

I don't think anyone is expecting this to be a massive success. I can see it pulling in numbers similar to Blade Runner or Mad Max which were considered either disappointments or only middling successes. The big question is how much will it take for the studio to greenlight the second part.

Also I'm struggling to think of how they can end Part One in a satisfying way. There is no way it can have any kind of finality so it can only be a cliffhanger.

If you look at the most recent analogue It Chapter One was a complete story in its own right even if Chapter Two was never made. The same cannot be said for Dune.

TheVileOne and Blitzkrieg like this.
  6. Blitzkrieg Registered

Stellan Skarsgard Says Warner Bros. Is Not Messing With Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ Vision

OutOfBoose, KaijuDude1992 and FVD like this.
  7. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Did this wrap?

8. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I think realisticaly, $400 worldwide would be a success. Personally, I can see it doing $500 worldwide. We will see. Dune probably has a bigger fanbase than Blade Runner, and can probably be easier to market than Blade Runner.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  9. TheVileOne Registered

Yes it completed principal photography.

10. Pond Registered

Neither is Tolkiens book. While i agree that Dune and Lord... aver very different books, you are kinda simplifying Rings too much, looking just at its surface. Its a dark book in its own way. A different kind of darkness than Dune, but still... LOTR is as close to Star Wras as Dune is to LOTR.

Three great works of art. Very different though.

Lilbaz likes this.
  11. TheVileOne Registered

Sure it has its dark elements, but Dune doesn't have valiant, noble and chivalrous heroes.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  12. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Maybe in the others, but the first book is pretty full with valiant, noble, and chivalrous heroes.

13. :eek: Registered

Also, the LotR books has sold around 150 million copies. Dune has sold around 20 million copies. Dune might be one of the best selling sci-fi novels, but LotR are among the best selling novels of any category.

14. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

So when can we expect something official?

15. Loden Greatstorm THE BATMAN

I hope we get an official still before the end of the year.

16. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I’d be very curious to see what Skarsgard looks like in full makeup and everything.

17. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

And not only Skarsgard. I hope it looks really different from Lynch's version, because that film really shaped the look of Dune in public consciousness. Influenced various media. I'm rather sick of it.

It's like live action portrayal of Dracula that lived though decades till 90s, when Coppola gave him different aesthetic to break the mold a bit. I'm not saying Villeneuve should go radical and, knowing his approach, I doubt it will be something outlandish, but I'd really appreciate something refreshing.

18. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Fair enough but we NEED to see Feyd in a winged thong.

19. Loden Greatstorm THE BATMAN

No major actors?! Are you for real?!!

20. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

We do?

21. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Of course!

22. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

I would compare this movie more to Life of Pi than Lord of the Rings. Life of Pi made $600 million globally, I'd use that as a base and then kick it up a notch for being a sci-fiction event movie.

KRYPTON INC. and Sithborg like this.
  23. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I think it's always possible to drum up excitement even without awareness. If the movie looks great and they sell it will I think it could do well. I just don't think a mainstream audience can love a Villenueve film like they embrace Nolan or someone. Villenueve makes more contemplative, strange character pieces while Nolan's action stuff tends to do better with audiences.

24. PunyGod Astronomer

There is no one in this movie that has enough star power to put butts in seats.

I am talking like Tom Cruise, Jennifer Lawrence, Harrison Ford, RDJ. etc.

Although the era of Star Power is considered to be coming to a close because the property itself has become more important (eg. MCU)

But as previously discussed this is not a bankable property either.

25. FVD Launder the Conscience

Josh Brolin doesn't have enough star calibre to draw in audiences?!