Dune

It's not "fun."

Neither is Tolkiens book. While i agree that Dune and Lord... aver very different books, you are kinda simplifying Rings too much, looking just at its surface. Its a dark book in its own way. A different kind of darkness than Dune, but still... LOTR is as close to Star Wras as Dune is to LOTR.

Three great works of art. Very different though.

Neither is Tolkiens book. While i agree that Dune and Lord... aver very different books, you are kinda simplifying Rings too much, looking just at its surface. Its a dark book in its own way. A different kind of darkness than Dune, but still... LOTR is as close to Star Wras as Dune is to LOTR.

Three great works of art. Very different though.

Sure it has its dark elements, but Dune doesn't have valiant, noble and chivalrous heroes.

Maybe in the others, but the first book is pretty full with valiant, noble, and chivalrous heroes.

I would argue that LOTR also had more recognition & anticipation even from people who had never read the books. I remember there was a lot of hype around it and it was one of the earliest films to make heavy use of internet marketing.

Dune on the other hand is considered a somewhat inaccessible and esoteric world even among sci-fi fans. If the general public has any memory of it it's from being one of the biggest box office bombs of all time. And young people have next to zero knowledge about it. And the box office is driven by young people.

I don't think anyone is expecting this to be a massive success. I can see it pulling in numbers similar to Blade Runner or Mad Max which were considered either disappointments or only middling successes. The big question is how much will it take for the studio to greenlight the second part.

Also I'm struggling to think of how they can end Part One in a satisfying way. There is no way it can have any kind of finality so it can only be a cliffhanger.

If you look at the most recent analogue It Chapter One was a complete story in its own right even if Chapter Two was never made. The same cannot be said for Dune.

Also, the LotR books has sold around 150 million copies. Dune has sold around 20 million copies. Dune might be one of the best selling sci-fi novels, but LotR are among the best selling novels of any category.

And not only Skarsgard. I hope it looks really different from Lynch's version, because that film really shaped the look of Dune in public consciousness. Influenced various media. I'm rather sick of it.

It's like live action portrayal of Dracula that lived though decades till 90s, when Coppola gave him different aesthetic to break the mold a bit. I'm not saying Villeneuve should go radical and, knowing his approach, I doubt it will be something outlandish, but I'd really appreciate something refreshing.

And not only Skarsgard. I hope it looks really different from Lynch's version, because that film really shaped the look of Dune in public consciousness. Influenced various media. I'm rather sick of it.

It's like live action portrayal of Dracula that lived though decades till 90s, when Coppola gave him different aesthetic to break the mold a bit. I'm not saying Villeneuve should go radical and, knowing his approach, I doubt it will be something outlandish, but I'd really appreciate something refreshing.

Fair enough but we NEED to see Feyd in a winged thong.

What is everyone's realistic predictions for box office? Because I remain pessimistic. Neither the property nor the director have had any huge success before. And there are no major actors. Plus its a very difficult film to market.
No major actors?! Are you for real?!!

I would compare this movie more to Life of Pi than Lord of the Rings. Life of Pi made $600 million globally, I'd use that as a base and then kick it up a notch for being a sci-fiction event movie.

I think it's always possible to drum up excitement even without awareness. If the movie looks great and they sell it will I think it could do well. I just don't think a mainstream audience can love a Villenueve film like they embrace Nolan or someone. Villenueve makes more contemplative, strange character pieces while Nolan's action stuff tends to do better with audiences.

There is no one in this movie that has enough star power to put butts in seats.

I am talking like Tom Cruise, Jennifer Lawrence, Harrison Ford, RDJ. etc.

Although the era of Star Power is considered to be coming to a close because the property itself has become more important (eg. MCU)

But as previously discussed this is not a bankable property either.

Josh Brolin doesn't have enough star calibre to draw in audiences?!

There is no one in this movie that has enough star power to put butts in seats.

I am talking like Tom Cruise, Jennifer Lawrence, Harrison Ford, RDJ. etc.

Although the era of Star Power is considered to be coming to a close because the property itself has become more important (eg. MCU)

But as previously discussed this is not a bankable property either.

Lawrence? LOL her recent movies are major flops

Lawrence fits that point about the era of star power coming to a close. She will do big bucks in Hunger Games but she needs a property like that. It’s becoming less common for masses to turn out for any one actor regardless of property.

Well, according to IMDb now, Stephen McKinley Henderson seems to be playing Thufir Hawat after all. At one point too, Sharon Duncan-Brewster happened to have been linked to the Shadout Mapes but not anymore. That would have put the Liet-Kynes as a female rumour to rest though.

That's so weird. But then, we haven't gotten any set photos or anything so I guess they're just playing this one really close to the chest.

I'm starving for some Dune news. An image. A teaser. Anything substantial. Not another actor interview where they praise Villeneuve.

Some think that teaser will be out in December.

I am not sure about that. 100% certain that the trailer will be attached to new Nolan's movie, though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"