Dystopian future depicted in Dredd & The Purge might become reality

The premise of The Purge doesn't make any sense. Making all crime legal for twelve hours out of the year would not lower the crime rate and it certainly wouldn't lower the unemployment rate.

If the poor are killing each other then there are less people fighting for work yes? The poor generally also perpetuate the most crime statistically so if they are killing each other off then there would be lower crime rates yes? If all the poor team up and go after the wealthy, then they wouldn't be poor anymore. The poor probably are the ones that cannot afford defense so I would think they would be the ones picked off the most.

When I saw commercials for The Purge it was like "There's a good movie in there, somewhere but I doubt they pull it off."

Yeah, if they could have widened the scope instead of making it a run of the mill home invasion film, it could have been good.

Smart aliens (which seems a bit redundant to me, since idiots won't master interstellar travel) would see how divided we are, and use that divide to their advantage. I.e. they will turn us against each other.

Smart aliens (which seems a bit redundant to me, since idiots won't master interstellar travel) would see how divided we are, and use that divide to their advantage. I.e. they will turn us against each other.

But that has nothing to do with the concept of a huge alien space craft crashing on earth with no survivors and making us realize there are bigger problems than fighting amongst ourselves.

But that has nothing to do with the concept of a huge alien space craft crashing on earth with no survivors and making us realize there are bigger problems than fighting amongst ourselves.

Why would it crash though?

And the cynic in me would argue that humans would then fight over the wreckage.

I should probably have finished Macross...

And the cynic in me would argue that humans would then fight over the wreckage.

I could see that, but the potential for the setup of a one world government seems too good for the big boys/higher ups of the planet to pass up on.

I would have liked to see Ethan Hawk's family being targeted in this movie, then them trying to escape town trying to find a safe haven only to keep running into obstacles (writers can get really creative here since everybody is out to kill/who knows what else to everybody). Maybe even running into a cop that the family knows only to turn out he's a seriel killer every purge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"