EA To Acquire BioWare

KALEL114

Returned
Reaction score
SOFTWARE NEWS
EA To Acquire BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced an agreement with Elevation Partners to acquire VG Holding Corp. -- the owner of both BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios. This acquisition gives EA a strong competitive position in key genres in interactive entertainment: action, adventure and role-playing games. The two studios have been recognized for creating some of the highest-quality games in the industry.

BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios have ten franchises under development, including six wholly owned games. BioWare Corp. is currently developing the highly anticipated Mass Effect, which will be published by Microsoft in November, and is in the early development stages of a massively multiplayer online game. Pandemic Studios is redefining open-world games with its upcoming Mercenaries 2: World in Flames? and Saboteur?, in addition to several unannounced projects.

Pandemic Studios and BioWare Corp. employ roughly 800 people across four studios located in Edmonton, Canada; Los Angeles; Austin; and Brisbane, Australia.
?These are two of the most respected studios in the industry and I?m glad to be working with them again. They?ll make a strong contribution to our strategic growth initiatives on quality, online gaming and developing new intellectual properties,? said John Riccitiello, EA?s Chief Executive Officer. ?We also expect this will drive long-term value for our shareholders.?
Pandemic Studios is led by Andrew Goldman, Josh Resnick and Greg Borrud. BioWare Corp. is jointly led by Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka. These teams will join the EA? Games Label run by Frank Gibeau, President of EA Games.
?Pandemic Studios remains focused on attracting the best talent and creating blockbuster action games,? said Josh Resnick, President and Co-founder of Pandemic Studios. ?As a worldwide publishing leader, EA represents the ideal partner to bring our titles to market as global entertainment events.?
?We are truly excited by John Riccitiello?s new vision for EA,? said Ray Muzyka, Co-founder and CEO of BioWare Corp. ?This vision is consistent with BioWare?s focus on crafting the highest quality story-driven games in the world. It will enable us to further the careers of the passionate, creative and hard working teams at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Austin.?
EA will pay up to $620 million in cash to the stockholders of VG Holding Corp. and will issue up to an additional $155 million in equity to certain employees of VG Holding Corp., which will be subject to time-based or performance-based vesting criteria. EA will also assume outstanding VG Holding Corp. stock options. In addition, EA has agreed to lend VG Holding Corp. up to $35 million through the closing of the acquisition.

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/Aktie/en/...-To-Acquire-BioWare-Corp-and-Pandemic-Studios

NO **** NO ****ERS

Goddamnit, my ****ing favorite studio is ****ing dead now.

It sucks and I don't even have an Xbox.

This might be the worst news I have heard in a long time for video games.

All I can hope is that EA is getting better. Skate wasnt horrible, like I thought it would be. But Bioware? They are easily one of the biggest RPG makers out there, and now are honestly dead. Pandemic, meh. Merc's, while being good, probably wont be killed thru the move to EA, but Bioware will be dead.

Hopefully Bioware won't be tampered with, EA HAS been talking about moving towards a more "Spore" direction of development, and we are honestly seeing more creativity and effort in between all the sports rehashes. Still, pretty much guarantees PS3 development from Bioware. We already know they have a project in development for the PS3, but all that is only good if they aren't gutted by EA.

Bioware still has 2 game (exclusive)contract with Microsoft. What will happen with that? Or was I missinformed?

They have a 3 game contract for Mass Effect (already almost completed 1 of them), I'd imagine that would stay in tact.

Bioware still has 2 game (exclusive)contract with Microsoft. What will happen with that? Or was I missinformed?

Usually those kind of contracts remain intact. Whatever Pandemic is working on will also be completed (I think they're doing Merc 2 for EA anyway but they have the rumored Batman Game).

We'll see three Mass Effect games. The last one will probably be on the next Xbox though.

Well since what's done is done, and spilled milk and all that... I'll just say this:

Bioware can revive Ultima.

BioWare on Mass Effect: We Can't Predict the Future

We brought you an official statement from Microsoft regarding the Mass Effect trilogy. Now, following today's shocking news, BioWare Corp. gave an interview to Gamespot in which the Canadian developer addressed the EA buyout. Among other topics, the co-founders and co-CEOs of BioWare, Drs. Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeshcuk, also discussed the future of Mass Effect.

Mass Effect was billed as being this big booster for Microsoft's publishing efforts and as one of the biggest Xbox 360 exclusives. Will it remain a 360 exclusive?

Ray Muzyka: Microsoft is a great partner, a great publishing partner, and we're really excited to work with them. And we love the 360. One of the things we've talked about is getting multiple iterations of this franchise out during its lifetime, since it's such a great system to work with. And we see Microsoft as a long-term partner on Mass Effect.

Will Microsoft be publishing future iterations of Mass Effect or will EA be publishing it itself?

Greg Zeschuk: We can't predict the future. We'll see what happens. The key thing is we're making a trilogy of Mass Effect games, and we've got a great story arc.

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=73928

If there is even a slight first dip in quality a Bioware/Pandemic game takes under EA, blood will be shed. :cmad:

The only hope is that they can all jump ship in a timely manner.

so what first parties do MS actually have left now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"