Star Wars (Respawn Entertainment)

I've been meaning to replay Fallen Order. I'm glad I didn't get around to it yet after seeing it's coming to PS5. Looking forward to that upgrade. :up:

Im in general really shocked that the whole nemesis system hasnt become a huge thing in the industry considering what cool idea it is.
A Star wars game with a Nemesis system on a big open world planet, sounds really interesting.

I would like to know what Monolith is working on in general, its been 3 years now since shadow of war.

:(

The nemesis system of Shadow Of Mordor is the coolest innovation I can think of for its generation. I was so excited to see it used and developed in other games, and was confused that it didn't take off.

And recently we discovered why. Ever since SoM got so much praise, Warner Bros have been pursuing patent rights to the nemesis system to make sure no-one else could use it, and they were recently granted. No cool games for us. Hooray shady capitalism. What's extra crazy to me is they apparently secured patents on nemesis system mechanics they haven't even made yet.

The nemesis system of Shadow Of Mordor is the coolest innovation I can think of for its generation. I was so excited to see it used and developed in other games, and was confused that it didn't take off.

And recently we discovered why. Ever since SoM got so much praise, Warner Bros have been pursuing patent rights to the nemesis system to make sure no-one else could use it, and they were recently granted. No cool games for us. Hooray shady capitalism. What's extra crazy to me is they apparently secured patents on nemesis system mechanics they haven't even made yet.

Other games could use it, they'd probably just have to license it.

Eh, its sad, but the Nemesis System is exactly the kind of design innovation that goes above and beyond and really should be eligible for a patent. Realize that they didn't get a patent on the *idea* of the Nemesis System ( "I want to do X" ), but rather on the implementation on *how* to do the Nemesis System ( "I do X by means of Y, Z, and Q" ).. into which they put a lot of work to figure out how to make it actually function and produce worthwhile gameplay. Which is also why they could patent mechanics not yet in a game; they don't need to commercially use them, simply show how they have invented the way to do those mechanics. Think "prototype" versus "product on the market", you only need the former for a patent.

This is still a problem for other companies, since they would need to demonstrated how their implementation doesn't infringe on said patent, but that is just the nature of IP involving big companies and the risk of expensive lawsuits. Consider that it took WB *years*, and much back and forth, to actually get the patent. The patent office clearly wasn't easily convinced that their patent claims were fully valid ( and IIRC WB had to revise their exact claims a couple times before the patent was granted ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"