Elementary - CBS's Modern Take on Sherlock

I'm cross-posting my full review of Season 1 as well as some thoughts on the first fourteen episodes of Season 2:

Season 1 Review
In a television landscape where the Procedural genre (be it Traditional or Serialized) has become a bit staid and cliched, it takes a lot of effort to stand out, and Elementary does just that, not only because of its connections to "the World's Greatest Detective", but also because of the ways in which it makes use of those connections.

Even with people having prejudged it because of the existence of the BBC's Sherlock and the decision to make Watson a woman and an American, Elementary made it obvious very early on that the preconceptions people had about it were wrong by simultaneously tapping into the essence of the Sherlock Holmes Canon and forging its own unique path forward, and by assembling a top-notch cast both regular and recurring.

I touched on this a bit in an earlier post, but it's easy to look at the series' earlier episodes and only see 'yet another Procedural', but what the show did well right from the beginning was weaving seemingly standalone stories into a grander, season-long narrative tapestry that was capped off by a sensationally-written 2-hour finale that was more than worthy of not only the series' titular character, but his most profligate ally. Watson can easily be seen as just being Sherlock's 'sidekick', the character who is there largely to 'ground' Holmes and make him relatable, but what Elementary did differently was to make the character Holmes' equal in narrative importance.

This is not only abundantly clear in the finale, but also manifests itself throughout the season, particularly in the Pilot, The Rat Race, M, The Deductionist, A Giant Gun, Filled with Drugs, and Deja vu all over Again.

I mentioned earlier that Elementary transcended the preconceptions and negative comparisons to the BBC'S Sherlock by simultaneously tapping into the essence of the character's Canon and forging its own unique path forward, and the most significant - and brilliant - way it did so was in its approach of taking familiar Holmesian characters and twisting them around.

I don't know how the producers came upon the idea of making their interpretation of Mrs. Hudson a male-to-female Transsexual, but it was, quite frankly, a stroke of brilliance. Ms. Hudson may have only showed up late in the season, but her appearance was the perfect way to further and highlight the changing relationship dynamic between Sherlock and Joan and to give Joan a chance to bond with someone other than Sherlock on a deeply emotional level, even in a very short period of time.

Ms. Hudson's introduction also came at the perfect moment for seeding the culmination of the season's primary narrative arc and what is, IMO, one of the most ingenious character decisions ever made: taking Irene Adler and James Moriarty - the two characters most associated with Holmes aside from Watson - and combining them into one.

By giving us a Sherlock Holmes who was brilliantly human and brilliantly damaged, the writers had set a high bar for themselves to clear when it came to introducing his mirror image/greatest opponent, but by turning that opponent into the woman responsible for him being so brilliantly human and damaged, they not only cleared that bar, but smashed it to pieces, and then found the perfect individual to serve as Sherlock's 'perfect foil' in Natalie Dormer. Making Irene and Moriarty one and the same - and giving the role to Dormer - also perfectly tied in to the series' Serialized Procedural format by allowing/affording the writers opportunities to seed important narrative ideas through largely standalone plot points (such as the story told in Child Predator).

Elementary may have had a lot stacked against it, but if its first season proves anything, it's that you shouldn't bet against Sherlock Holmes or the viability of the Serialized Procedural genre.

Thoughts on the first fourteen episodes of Season 2
I'm not quite finished yet, but the first fourteen episodes of Season 2 make it clear that things are going to be very different from Season 1. That is by no means a bad thing, though, because those differences allow the season the 'breathing room' it needs to establish its own unique narrative identity without having to live in the shadow of what came before it.

Where Season 1's narrative arc was driven by Sherlock's addiction and the hunt for Moriarty, Season 2 delivers a narrative structure that is much more thematic in nature, exploring questions of "family", "love", and "relationships" and delving deeply into the pasts and psyches of its central characters both regular and recurring.

Not having a central story-driven narrative can lead one to dismiss the season's first fourteen episodes as being less 'focused' than their Season 1 counterparts, but doing so is, IMO, a mistake. There's not a single episode in that stretch that is poorly written or conceived, with Step Nine, The Marchioness, Blood is Thicker, Tremors, The Diabolical Kind, All in the Family, and Dead Clade Walking standing out in particular.... especially when it comes to character development. There are a number of moments in those episodes where the writers outdo themselves in making the characters even more complex than they already were, but my favorites happen to be the revelation that Joan and Mycroft had a one-night-stand (thus proving Sherlock's 'experiment' from Step Nine correct) from The Marchioness, Moriarty's conversations with Joan and Sherlock in The Diabolical Kind, the tirade from Sherlock that ends Bell's sabbatical from the Major Crimes Unit and the revelation of Joan's childhood interest in the Mafia from All in the Family, and Sherlock's foray into sponsorship in Dead Class Walking.

This first half of the season was daring, but I didn't overtly like it until these last two episodes. Can't wait for what is next...

I can't wait for Moriarty to be back! Dormer doesn't even have to show herself. Even just her voice is both sexy and badass. :hrt:

Last edited:
I thought Moriarty had died and we were going to see her mentor.

Has anyone kept up with this season? I haven't watched any of it yet, and I'm debating getting back into it, but I wanted to see what people thought.

Has anyone kept up with this season? I haven't watched any of it yet, and I'm debating getting back into it, but I wanted to see what people thought.

I felt this season lacked focus. there didn't seem to be a central driving direction like the past 2 seasons.

I felt this season lacked focus. there didn't seem to be a central driving direction like the past 2 seasons.

I was disappointed in the season finale. I suspected (feared) that the show would eventually do a [blackout]drug relapse[/blackout] story. But this version didn’t seem dramatically “earned.” It wasn’t, say, a smart/formidable villain who manipulated Holmes - it was just a run-of-the-mill [blackout]addict[/blackout].

Yeah, why overcome the addict dude and beat his ass... only to shoot up. It's like Sherlock wanted to admit defeat, yet he didn't act like it at all during the episode.

Holy downer finale.

Just watched the finale. Wasn't really worthy of a season ender and could've just been somewhere in the middle of the season. Seemed a bit dumb to relapse after that.

CLvvEzoWcAAdm1n.jpg

CLvSE3SVEAAKwbE.jpg

CLw24FqWcAAmHUg.jpg

Anyone still watching this? 'Bout time that [blackout]Queen Moriarty comes back[/blackout]! Here's to hoping that we actually see [blackout]Dormer[/blackout]. Also, I think [blackout]Mr. Holmes (Sherlock's dad that is)[/blackout] will bite it by season's end. :(

John Noble is also looking thinner than usual. I hope he's not sick or anything.

Last edited:
Yeah I still watch but Who you think is coming is not. I don't wanna spoil it for you or anyone but I saw it in one of the trades.

Yeah I still watch but Who you think is coming is not. I don't wanna spoil it for you or anyone but I saw it in one of the trades.

I figured it was too good to be true. :waa:

How's this season going...? I usually embark in 4-6 episode binges but I haven't even tried to get back into it after I think since the 3rd/4th episode.

Anyone still watching this?

Not since they switched it to Sunday night....I totally forget about it being on then until it's too late.

yeah, it's what I watch immediately after the Walking Dead...

Anyone still watching this? 'Bout time that [blackout]Queen Moriarty comes back[/blackout]! Here's to hoping that we actually see [blackout]Dormer[/blackout]. Also, I think [blackout]Mr. Holmes (Sherlock's dad that is)[/blackout] will bite it by season's end. :(

John Noble is also looking thinner than usual. I hope he's not sick or anything.

yeah, he DOESN'T look too good... and he always seems to have a bad make-up job done to his face...

I think the problem with a show like Elementary is that the seasons are too long and there's too much filler.

Some of the cases of the week are cases that the regular police could've figured out and not really worth Sherlock's talents.

I watch it every week. Fantastic show.

If you haven't watched it, then you need to start now. Far better than the English show "Sherlock", and Jonny Lee Miller is a much better Holmes than Benedict Cumberbatch

I think the problem with a show like Elementary is that the seasons are too long and there's too much filler.

Some of the cases of the week are cases that the regular police could've figured out and not really worth Sherlock's talents.

That's why I fell off it to be honest. It's fine, and I applaud them for not trying to copy Sherlock, but with their 22 episode long season, there are far too many cases that Sherlock shouldn't be required to solve. Many are what you'd see in a typical law and order episode. And as such, it makes Sherlock not seem very...Sherlocky. I mean, one can't compare it to Sherlock because Sherlock is a different beast, but it does come off as second rate compared to the BBC show of this very reason. I wish they would do more cases that spanned multiple episodes, then you could put the time into mysteries that are worthy of Sherlock.

I need to catch up though, how has the season been going thus far?

I'm a few episodes behind but I do still watch it. The show could benefit from a shorter season to cut some of the excess out. 10-15 episodes would be better so they can tell a tighter story without it being padded out.

At least it isn't only 3 episodes at a time. As much as I like Sherlock, only 3 episodes every 2-3 years is a long wait for something that should not normally take so long to script and film.

I agree that there are too many fillers which are average at best (in terms of the cases to be solved) but the great episodes and JLM/LL are what make me stick to it. I agree that there should be more of the multi-episode arcs. This show is at its best when it's dealing with Moriarty or even that plot with Kitty. I quite liked that (and the character).

Last edited:
I'm a few episodes behind but I do still watch it. The show could benefit from a shorter season to cut some of the excess out. 10-15 episodes would be better so they can tell a tighter story without it being padded out.

At least it isn't only 3 episodes at a time. As much as I like Sherlock, only 3 episodes every 2-3 years is a long wait for something that should not normally take so long to script and film.

I've actually come to enjoy the long gaps in Sherlock. In this world of instant gratification, I've found I really enjoy having something to look forward to. Instead of just being the "next season of Sherlock" each release is an event. It's kind of nice that way.

And I will say I did enjoy their take on Moriarity, and LL and JLM are good together. But I do think they need to cut out the filler. Like previously stated, it just ends up making Sherlock seem not nearly as brilliant. Maybe I'll try to catch up when I have some free time.

I wouldn't mind if Sherlock released 3 episodes a year but it's so far been closer to 2-3 years and then a one-off holiday special that trolled the audience.

LL and JLM definitely have a chemistry though and it is one I'm very glad is strictly platonic. They don't even entertain the idea of romance between the two which would destroy the series.