Supergirl Episode 3.06 "Midvale" (SPOILERS)

There damn well better be some what happens with them next scenes even if they get no more episodes devoted to them.

We could get episodes of them every year around the time of the crossover.

And why didn't they cast these two actresses in the roles in the first place instead of that actress who played young Kara in the first season? I don't really remember young Chyler.

We could get episodes of them every year around the time of the crossover.

And why didn't they cast these two actresses in the roles in the first place instead of that actress who played young Kara in the first season? I don't really remember young Chyler.

Availability, possibly they weren't on Rappaport's radar at that time, there could be a multitude of reasons.

I would love to have another episode this season as a full on flashback. It would be a nice time for Melissa to take a few days off, and IMO much better than the "Lost Children...." episode last year.

Availability, possibly they weren't on Rappaport's radar at that time, there could be a multitude of reasons.

I would love to have another episode this season as a full on flashback. It would be a nice time for Melissa to take a few days off, and IMO much better than the "Lost Children...." episode last year.

Which one was the Lost Children one?

I definitely want another flashback episode too.

Do you know how well this episode was received?

Which one was the Lost Children one?

I definitely want another flashback episode too.

Do you know how well this episode was received?

That was Ep. 20 last season with James helping the little alien boy and his mother, and Lena/Rhea building the machine that brought all of the Daxamites.

I have seen little if any negative as far as the Flashback episode is concerned....most would love to see another episode along those lines.

That was Ep. 20 last season with James helping the little alien boy and his mother, and Lena/Rhea building the machine that brought all of the Daxamites.

I have seen little if any negative as far as the Flashback episode is concerned....most would love to see another episode along those lines.

I would like the bookends to be part of that too though. I don't want Melissa (and Chyler) to be completely off it. May be just one scene saying "Do you remember" and then ending with another conversation.

I'd miss them otherwise.

I enjoyed this episode. Even though Melissa and Chyler barely played, it still felt like them with the younger versions, particularly young Chyler who seemed believably like the same person. She seemed like she would grow up into adult Chyler Danvers.

I felt this less so with young Kara, who didn't seem to have the same gentleness as Melissa. But she was still good.

This actually felt like a pilot to another young Supergirl series. They could have made a prequel show with these actors. I would've liked a Supergirl in high school show instead of being fully grown up. This would be one way to do it.

I hope to see future flashbacks to their stories when they were young. It's refreshing compared to some of the present day ones.

Btw if Chyler Leigh hadn't played Chyler Danvers, I think she would've made a decent Lois Lane for Superman. She seemed to have elements of her in this episode, especially the young version.

I actually would have preferred this show, to the show we got as this one of the few episodes that I could unabashedly enjoy and genuinely call great, or even good (I'd deem most episodes as only okay), it would also help reduce how facepalmingly bad some of the juvenile writing can be by actually making the characters juveniles.

I think one thing about young Kara that was off was that she wasn't quite dorky enough. She was more normal and a bit more serious and aggressive. It seems odd she would suddenly become a dork later on.

One of the reasons why I'd prefer to have had this show.

I watched the episode again, and you were right Kelly. J'onn was cruel and it was really painful to watch Kara get her hopes up and then have it dashed. I didn't pay attention before because I was just excited to have it confirmed that J'onn was there unexpectedly and that he actually did watch over them all these years.

The George Washington thing was also a bit weird. I don't agree that she would have had 24 years to study earth history, mainly because S1 says she was asleep once she entered phantom zone and woke up just when Indigo did something. Besides, if time doesn't exist there, then how can she have any time to study?

Also, Kryptonians may have known some things about Earth given how many pods and babies they sent here, but, they are unlikely to have known all of Earth history or even some of it. Knowing some science details doesn't equal knowing some place's culture entirely. At most, they knew the language and knew some basics; enough to know their kids won't end up dead.

However, she should have known George Washington's name given she has been on Earth the past two years. Even I knew it when I was fourteen and I was not even in the US (I studied it in our world history classes). May be they should have asked something more obscure like When did Vikings first come to North America, or When did the Battle of Algiers happen (if US students do learn history of other places).

Also, didn't like the fact that Alex had failed Calculus. Apparently, somewhere in Season 2, the writers decided to make Alex just the brawn with not much of a brain.

The kids were great; and aside for these facts, the writing was also good. It showed so much about Kara's pain in those initial years (which she suppressed later on once she had a friend and someone who accepted her in Alex). It fleshes out her pain this season when everything has precipitated once again.

And because Alex is my second favourite character; I was glad to see what Kara saw in her. In face of both obstruction and rejection from her friends, even her best friend, she persists in trying to find the killer. And she goes on even when Kara finally gives up out of fear for her (Alex's) life. And best of all, as far as Kara is concerned, despite not having taken to Kara initially, she does show the utmost faith in Kara. That she would come and save the day. That must have taken some courage and trust.

And given where Kara was at the time, that trust must have meant the world to Kara.

I found this episode to be surprisingly enjoyable. I had low expectations, but they were more than exceeded.

So much so, that I want two spin-offs: Midvale with young Kara and Alex in their gorgeous forest / lake house as they grow up together and have various adventures. And some kind of happy Thelma and Louise (Alex and Kara) esque adventures where they just road trip around the US (and the world) in Jonn’s car listening to pop music, saving lives and leaven broken hearted men and women behind them.

Jonn was oddly cruel in this episode. I’ll blame his Martian upbringing / exterior, but being a mind reader he should have known how painful it would be for someone to see their dead mother! Even if he can’t read Kara’s mind, surely he should have known how messed up it was based on his past mind reading of humans. I can kind of understand him wanting to immediately emotionally impact Kara, but it was still a bit harsh.

And US schools are damn confusing. So, 15 to 17 year olds are all in the same class! I’m guessing that Josie was held back a year and maybe Kara was ahead a year, so they were both in Alex’s school year. Then again, I can’t remember how much older Alex is mean to be. Maybe Kara had skipped two years ahead to be in class with Alex and Josie, although she didn’t seem to be doing well in history.

EDIT: I hope they use the actors playing the younger versions again. In particular, I would like a flashback episode which better explains how Kara went from wanting to be a superhero when she grew up to refraining from being a hero for almost her entire adult life.

Last edited:
I found this episode to be surprisingly enjoyable. I had low expectations, but they were more than exceeded.

So much so, that I want two spin-offs: Midvale with young Kara and Alex in their gorgeous forest / lake house as they grow up together and have various adventures. And some kind of happy Thelma and Louise (Alex and Kara) esque adventures where they just road trip around the US (and the world) in Jonn’s car listening to pop music, saving lives and leaven broken hearted men and women behind them.

Jonn was oddly cruel in this episode. I’ll blame his Martian upbringing / exterior, but being a mind reader he should have known how painful it would be for someone to see their dead mother! Even if he can’t read Kara’s mind, surely he should have known how messed up it was based on his past mind reading of humans. I can kind of understand him wanting to immediately emotionally impact Kara, but it was still a bit harsh.

And US schools are damn confusing. So, 15 to 17 year olds are all in the same class! I’m guessing that Josie was held back a year and maybe Kara was ahead a year, so they were both in Alex’s school year. Then again, I can’t remember how much older Alex is mean to be. Maybe Kara had skipped two years ahead to be in class with Alex and Josie, although she didn’t seem to be doing well in history.

EDIT: I hope they use the actors playing the younger versions again. In particular, I would like a flashback episode which better explains how Kara went from wanting to be a superhero when she grew up to refraining from being a hero for almost her entire adult life.

That sounds great.

But they could have a Thelma and Louise type show with Chyler Danvers and Sara Lance. Both would be hard-drinking women (although they can't be both at the same time, otherwise they'd be drunk driving). Sometimes they'd get it on with each other, and sometimes with other women on their road trip, or the occasional man. It would be a very crazy ride.

They actually said in the episode that Kara is an advanced placement student. Sort of like how a 9 year old Sheldon Cooper is in high school in the TV show "Young Sheldon", based on the childhood of "The Big Bang Theory" Sheldon Cooper.
She apparently demonstrated enough knowledge that she was able to skip some grades. I guess history wasn't enough of a deal breaker to negate her science and math knowledge and athletic abilities.

In some schools, not all.....you can take a diagnostic test to see what your knowledge is in different subjects and if you score high enough they will place you in AP courses. Not all schools do this however, and the College Board which is the organization that oversees AP courses asks that they be open to anyone that wants to take them. In my AP Human Geography course I have 14 -- 18 year olds in the course....so it was not surprising at all to see Alex and Kara in the same course. HOWEVER, the stupid line of Isaiah Washington was once again one of the writers thinking a pop culture reference would be funny....it wasn't.

That sounds great.

But they could have a Thelma and Louise type show with Chyler Danvers and Sara Lance. Both would be hard-drinking women (although they can't be both at the same time, otherwise they'd be drunk driving). Sometimes they'd get it on with each other, and sometimes with other women on their road trip, or the occasional man. It would be a very crazy ride.

I would have no desire to watch that, but ok.......

BTW, went to see "Wonder" yesterday and Isabela Vidovic was absolutely fantastic in it. I had no idea she had as big of a part in it as she did......Great movie, but kleenex is needed.

Is she going to get too big for this series soon and they'll need to hire another actress for young Kara.

She's 16 playing a 15 year old Kara, so she could play a young Kara for probably a couple of more years. Don't see why not.

The problem will be scheduling her, her career is about to skyrocket.

She's 16 playing a 15 year old Kara, so she could play a young Kara for probably a couple of more years. Don't see why not.

The problem will be scheduling her, her career is about to skyrocket.

That's what I meant by too big. In star status, not getting too old. She might not have time for something like this.

Thoughts on Midvale...

- the young Kara and Alex were brilliant. They really got the mannerisms down.
- I loved the Superman references, so it seems Superman did wear the underpants on the outside at one time in this world.
- The Smallville references Chloe, Wall of Weird, the Telescope, the whole mystery aspect etc were brilliant.
- I loved when young Kara heard about Kenny’s death and leapt to the scene. But boy was it heartbreaking.
- It was a bit daft that she just believed that Agent Noel Neil (hehe) wasn’t her Mother. I mean I know it was J’onn but surely she wouldn’t have been fooled.
- When Alex told the Sheriff about the laptop it was obvious that he was the killer. But I didn’t mind the twists on Smallville were always obvious too.
- I loved the reveal that Kenny knew about Kara but because she was his friend he didn’t say anything.

Easily the best episode of the season for me so far. It was fantastic, I think the fact it reminded me of Smallville really helped that too. Smallville is as valid as any other part of Superman's history and deserves to be looked back on as something special for the character. It was so great to see such love paid to it. It's similar to what they did with Superman the Movie in episode 2x1. Midvale is without doubt one of all-time my favourite episode of this show. All in all a 9/10.

I still think we should have a flashback ep that shows the full story there. I know we disagree on headcanons for this (I thought he visited more early on then backed off for some reason, you didn't) so I won't get into that, but it would be nice to have a definitive story showing Clark's side of things nonetheless, imo. I just think there's more to the story than "who's this kid? I can't raise a kid. Quick, lemme drop her off at a friend's place and stay away." :oldrazz:

I think your head cannon is absolutely spot on. In episode 2x1 Alex called Superman 'Clark" and hugged him. It was definitely a sign of someone who'd seen him before.

Also Superman said that he loved the way Kara told stories about Krypton. So it's obvious in continuity that he visited her.

Last edited:
We knew from the first episode that Clark had a relationship with the Danvers. They were the ones that helped him understand his powers and use them.....so it is of course plausible that Alex would know him. We also know that he was working with the government at times and stopped when he and Martian Manhunter found the Kryptonite and Jonn would not get rid of it. We learned that in Ep. 1 of Season 2.....so it is clear that Clark had interactions with these people. How much he had with Kara however is still in question.....and it was absolutely heartbreaking when she said that she just wanted to live with Clark and be super. I think she wanted more of a relationship than they had...how much ever that was.

By the way I don't know if anyone else realized it buy they messed up in dating how far back they need to go, as it said 10 years ago for the flashbacks to when Kara was 15 (she was 13 when she arrived on earth) so that would make sense if this were still in season 1, but this is season 3 and 2 years have passed since then, so 10 years back from there would put her at 17, not 15; a minor mistake admittedly but still worth pointing out.

By the way I don't know if anyone else realized it buy they messed up in dating how far back they need to go, as it said 10 years ago for the flashbacks to when Kara was 15 (she was 13 when she arrived on earth) so that would make sense if this were still in season 1, but this is season 3 and 2 years have passed since then, so 10 years back from there would put her at 17, not 15; a minor mistake admittedly but still worth pointing out.

No, she was 12 when she came to earth, this is the 3rd season she was 24 in Season 1, turned 25 in Season 2 meaning she is 25 right now turning 26 this year later on as far as earth B-day....so 10 years ago she would have been 15, which she was.

We knew from the first episode that Clark had a relationship with the Danvers. They were the ones that helped him understand his powers and use them.....so it is of course plausible that Alex would know him. We also know that he was working with the government at times and stopped when he and Martian Manhunter found the Kryptonite and Jonn would not get rid of it. We learned that in Ep. 1 of Season 2.....so it is clear that Clark had interactions with these people. How much he had with Kara however is still in question.....and it was absolutely heartbreaking when she said that she just wanted to live with Clark and be super. I think she wanted more of a relationship than they had...how much ever that was.

I don't think it is, he said how much he loved hearing Kara tell stories about Krypton in 2x1. In this episide she's well aware of his friend Chloe. That to me shows that he did visit. Of course maybe she didn't see him all the time, heck I'm sure we all have family who come to visit but not that often. But they still do.

I don't think it is, he said how much he loved hearing Kara tell stories about Krypton in 2x1. In this episide she's well aware of his friend Chloe. That to me shows that he did visit. Of course maybe she didn't see him all the time, heck I'm sure we all have family who come to visit but not that often. But they still do.

IMO, he was talking about the time they spent together at that time. I figured they had spent the evening before talking about it, and he wanted to spend a little more time to hear more stories. I still go back to Alex's comment, yes using the word "abandoned" was probably a little harsh because she was upset, but Kara did not fight her on it, as in.....he didn't abandon me, he came and saw me all the time.... I don't think he did. In part, lack of time, in part trying to give her the same kind of life he had, in part to keep her safe. I don't see it as a horrible thing, it was just how it was. IMO, they had a relationship of him coming to see her, then why didn't he come and talk to her?

And don't even get me started on how horrible that was for them to use her mother in that scene....the writers were way off on that. Hell, they could have had Clark call her or something....geez.

Last edited:
They should've just had an FBI agent who looked like Kevin Costner telling her not to use her powers. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"