Eternals Mini

Issue 6 was weak. Talk about Deus Ex Machina. I mean it was cool to watch Mark have a conversation with the Dreaming Cellestial, but his transformation makes all the past issues seem kind of pointless. This was supposed to be his story wasn't it? Also, too much time wasted on the super heros, I was more interested in the interactions between the two factions of Eternals. If I wanted to read Marvel's idea of witty super banter, I would pick up Spider-Man. I was really digging this series, issue seven better make up for this one.

I'm surprised they expanded the mini to seven issues. I figured they wouldn't even bother with the 6th one when they realized everyone stopped giving a s***.

i was SO excited for this series - the original Eternals Kirby series is a favorite of mine. I was away from comics while Gaiman was writing Sandman and i've heard nothing but the highest praise for it and intend to read it one day. was looking forward to his and jrjr's take on them. the covers are amazing btw.

just reread 1-6 on saturday and it's been a fun mini - not earth-shattering so far, but he has made the characters "relevant" and the idea of the dreaming celestial standing there waiting to judge is cool. Zuras's line regarding choosing sides in the civil war was worth the price of #6 alone.

since they felt the need to expand to a seventh issue, here's hoping it is knocked out of the park. I don't keep up with too many series, but i have a feeling i will be glad that i've been collecting this one.

Gaiman works a lot and very well with the trickster archetype in his stories. It's a bit of a fascination he seems to have with them, being a storyteller himself and probably recognizing some common bond shared with Tricksters.
I'm very much biased in his favor, so I may not be seeing this series from all the angles that I could, but I LOVE it! I sympathize with Sprite and clearly remember Gaiman saying himself that some of his more usual readers would recognize shades of Croup and Vandemar in the two main "villains" in this miniseries...so anyone surprised by that just hasn't been paying enough attention.
I can't wait to see this series conclude and am glad Gaiman found some familiar (non-Thor) territory to work with in Marvel. Hopefully he writes a few more things with Marvel in the future, you know, when he's not busy writing all of this other cool business.

Issue 7 was amazing. Any complaints I had with issue 6, I take them back. That scene with Sprite and Zuras... wow. I love that Ikaris seems so well adjusted even though things have changed so radically, all he wants to do is race. Makkari, the star of this series, has gone through one of the most compelling character arcs that I've seen in a Marvel comic, he started out a cynic, was forced to become a believer, and now has become perhaps the most knowledgeable person on Earth, only to have a whole new set of questions and things to be cynical about. His new role as messiah is treated beautifully; it may not be the most original approach, but it feels real. Best of all, the end of this miniseries is a great springboard for an ongoing series. Here's hoping Marvel makes this a regular monthly series and keeps Romita Jr. on board, it would be nice to be able to look forward to comic every month again.

I'm guessing it's something I'll have to pick up then. After reading this, what do you all think about Gaiman in the Marvel universe? Should he do something else for them that is more mainstream, closer to an ongoing series? Or should he stick to things that allow him to do what he wants, like 1602 and I guess, Eternals? I'm excited to read this in hardcover.

I loved the series but I wish the Forgotten one had made an appearance.
He was one of the eternals i found most interesting.

LoL still though. I'd like to see him appear in comics again.

Issue 7 was amazing. Any complaints I had with issue 6, I take them back. That scene with Sprite and Zuras... wow. I love that Ikaris seems so well adjusted even though things have changed so radically, all he wants to do is race. Makkari, the star of this series, has gone through one of the most compelling character arcs that I've seen in a Marvel comic, he started out a cynic, was forced to become a believer, and now has become perhaps the most knowledgeable person on Earth, only to have a whole new set of questions and things to be cynical about. His new role as messiah is treated beautifully; it may not be the most original approach, but it feels real. Best of all, the end of this miniseries is a great springboard for an ongoing series. Here's hoping Marvel makes this a regular monthly series and keeps Romita Jr. on board, it would be nice to be able to look forward to comic every month again.

It would be great to see an ongoing. Zuras' diologue with Thena about her son and his scene with Sprite pretty much cemented in my mind that Zuras is a dick. If you've been hardened by over one million years of fighting off The Deviants and other such threatsd, ruling over a hidden nation, and living up to the responsibility to defend the entire planet from threats both internal and external, then being a dick is quite understandible. But it would be nice to see Makkari and Ikaris realize how much of a dick he is. Plus, if they made it a MAX title, then having Gaiman write a MAX title would give it the boost to finally properly compete with Vertigo.

Also, a side note: Judging from his diologue at the end of issue seven, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Makkari prefered for others to call him Mark. He seems keen to pretend that his entire life before Sprite messed with his head never happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"