The Eternals

DUH!

I'm saying we SPEAK the ENGLISH LANGUAGE in the U.S., but that it doesn't mean that we have to keep their same rules. "Good" grammar is based on their judgment of how to speak their language. But words change, languages change, especially when they're being spoken by different people, in different parts of the world, with different governments and such.

Geez...

DUH!

I'm saying we SPEAK the ENGLISH LANGUAGE in the U.S., but that it doesn't mean that we have to keep their same rules. "Good" grammar is based on their judgment of how to speak their language. But words change, languages change, especially when they're being spoken by different people, in different parts of the world, with different governments and such.

Geez...

WTF? Are you serious? There is so much wrong with that, it's scary.

DUH!

Geez...

So it's ok if I start talking like this:

Forward looking to Eternals The, great be will think I!

:huh:

Not right this minute, but over time, possibly. Language changes with each generation. We don't talk exactly like our parents and our children won't talk exactly like we do.
WTF? Are you serious? There is so much wrong with that, it's scary.
There's not that much wrong with it, really. Xof's just talking about descriptive grammar and calling it a dialect for some reason. Having graduated with an English degree rather than a Linguistics degree, however, I tend to prefer prescriptive grammar, even if I know descriptive grammar is inevitably going to win and the language is inevitably going to change.

Xof is basically saying that there are two English languages: English English and American English. He's wrong. It's scary.

Xof is basically saying that there are two English languages: English English and American English. He's wrong. It's scary.

English in Britain IS different from American English in some ways, but only in terms of spelling words, that I'm aware of. (Regarding the written language, that is.)

They have different terms, both in slang and in proper English, for things as well. They have some different punctuation rules, too.
Uh... I don't think that's really what he's saying, but okay.

"Whom do you trust?" just sounds wrong.

That's just cause you weren't raised right. Trust me! Make "whom" a part of your life. You'll never know how you ever worded without it.:up:

He's only really "wrong" in the sense that there's much more than two English languages (or as he more appropriately indicates, dialects).

So apparently The Order will be showing up in this book, which means I'll be adding this to my pull list.

They have different terms, both in slang and in proper English, for things as well. They have some different punctuation rules, too.

Yeah, I know their slang is MUCH different...I want to learn it :heart:

I'm not well-versed in British punctuation...I hope for international students' sakes that the comma rules are still the same :csad:

Whom do I blame for this stupidity?

Uh... I don't think that's really what he's saying, but okay.

He said, "I'm saying we SPEAK the ENGLISH LANGUAGE in the U.S., but that it doesn't mean that we have to keep their same rules." To me, the "their" implies the English people. As in, they have their own rules. As in, it's different than "our" English language.

So apparently The Order will be showing up in this book, which means I'll be adding this to my pull list.
Weird, I assumed the Order would disband at the end of their series' run. I remember someone saying that the X-Men were the only superhero team on the west coast by the time Secret Invasion rolls around.

Isn't the Order supposed to get killed in the last issue? I thought I read that somewhere...

He said, "I'm saying we SPEAK the ENGLISH LANGUAGE in the U.S., but that it doesn't mean that we have to keep their same rules." To me, the "their" implies the English people. As in, they have their own rules. As in, it's different than "our" English language.
I guess, if you want to interpret that to mean that their entire system of rules is different. I didn't. I interpreted it to mean that they have some different rules, since I intuitively know that the vast majority of grammatical rules between American English and British English overlap.

The way you interpreted it gives Xof too much credit.

Weird, I assumed the Order would disband at the end of their series' run. I remember someone saying that the X-Men were the only superhero team on the west coast by the time Secret Invasion rolls around.

Well, he did say whatever is left of the Order will be showing up.

Becky and Milo need to have a book all to themselves where they beat the **** out of bad guys while having sex. I'd totally buy it. :up:

Ouch. That's a book that might be too much for even my liberal sensibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"