Exscuse my ignorance but whats the point of Gwen Stacy?

red hood 4

Civilian
Reaction score
Peter wasnt tempted to cheat on MJ nor was she set up as trying to take Peter. She just seemed pointless. I felt you could do the same thing with Betty or any random charcter

thoughts?

Correct. It was a last ditch effort to include a "classic" character. Completely wasted, in my opinion.

Gwen Stacy was definitely pointless for Spider-Man 3 as once she was talked about to get in the middle of Peter and Mary Jane, and that really never happened. And the role she played with Eddie's arc was pointless as well. Him seeing Peter and Gwen together should not have been the final straw that sends him to a church to ask God to kill Peter.

Originally she was supposed to be the one who was kidnapped at the end by Venom. I think that actually changed during filming because they felt there needed to be more of emotional anchor in the finale, and I guess to help Peter redeem himself in the eyes of MJ too.

Bad decision IMO because twice was already too many times for MJ to get kidnapped by the villain in the third act. I think Venom should have kidnapped both MJ and Gwen. Then at some point he could have tossed them both off of opposite sides of the building as a way of torturing Spider-Man. I think this would have given more malice to Venom, and showed how twisted he had become that he'd be willing to kill the woman he supposedly loved just to get under Peter's skin. This also could have been where Harry came in to save one of them (probably Gwen).

Even if all that happened, Gwen probably would have still felt like an add-on, but at least she'd have a presence in the third act. If Eddie was supposed to be so unhealthily obsessed with her, it never made sense to me why he'd just forget about her when he became a super powered villain.

I remember that Gwen was supposed to be kidnapped by Venom originally and I def think that would have worked so much better. MJ needs rescue yet again?! Yeah, just one more thing that irked me about the movie.

I also remember from the novel that there were some other scenes between Eddie and Gwen that provided more insight into his obsession with her. I think that could have helped too in the case of him going after her once becoming Venom.

Lol, once again the novelization proves to be superior to Spider-Man 3 as it even provided Gwen Stacy more development than the film itself.

Tragic.

has it ever been explained in Interviews,novels or anything just why Eddie brock was so obsessed with Gwen?

I don't think so. He just happened to really like her, and she didn't want him.

Its possible that he wanted her simply because he couldn't have her.

She was Bryce Dallas Howard. I don't blame Eddie for getting a chubby everytime he saw her :funny:

Bryce is actually a very good actress, but like nearly everything else in S3, it was a missed opportunity.

From what I understand , there was always going to be a girl who would serve to tempt Peter away from MJ , but that the producers suggested they use Gwen as sort of fan service and because of her play in Spiderman history. Of course that meant you had to introduce the father as well , but the whole thing was so bloated and done in such a half*** way, that it just seemed tacked on. I guess there were several scenes she had that were cut , but truthfully, I doubt they would have made the film much better.

It seems that , as far back as S2 , at least in the earlier concepts , that the writers tried to introduce a rival for Peter's affections since an early draft featured Felicia Hardy aka Black Cat. Then Raimi defunked S4 was going to try to bring Hardy back . Lol.

I think Venom should have kidnapped both MJ and Gwen. Then at some point he could have tossed them both off of opposite sides of the building as a way of torturing Spider-Man. I think this would have given more malice to Venom, and showed how twisted he had become that he'd be willing to kill the woman he supposedly loved just to get under Peter's skin.

I REALLY like that idea.

She really didn't add anything to Spider-man 3 other than another love triangle as if we didn't get enough of those already in the first two.

anyone knows where i could find this novelization? i would like to read it

anyone knows where i could find this novelization? i would like to read it

I actually found it at my local Half Price Books store. hpb.com has a lot of good deals on books.

It was a last ditch effort to include a "classic" character

^ This. Originally they planned to bring in Black Cat in SM2, but did not eventually. Perhaps they considered again but felt that with 3 villains, they didn't need her, so introduced Gwen Stacy instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"