F.E.A.R Hands on preview...

Mentok

Avenger
Reaction score
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/726/726955p1.html

The Xbox 360 version of F.E.A.R. has been in front of our eyeballs a number of times now, and each time looking more and more similar to the original PC version. For graphics buffs, this is obviously a good thing. We got a chance to sit down with a version of the game for a number of hours at a recent Sierra Entertainment event. In it we had access to a debug menu that let any level be loaded and played through. Without getting too specific and ruining the storyline for those who never got hooked on the PC version, we popped in to points near the beginning, end, and middle of the game, and they all look relatively faithful to the shadowy original.

One difference we saw in the Xbox 360 version were the dual machine pistols, something exclusive to Microsoft's console. Like the rest of F.E.A.R.'s arsenal, the pistols have an excellent sound associated with unleashing their deadly ammunition. How they're actually going to fit in with the rest of F.E.A.R.'s already well balanced arsenal remains to be seen. As for other Xbox 360 exclusive features, there will be a special bonus level, containing extra storyline not in the PC version. However, the extra mission will not be part of the upcoming Extraction Point expansion for PC. That game is still being worked on, and therefore not included in the console version. With all the digital distribution going on these days, who knows if it'll show up as an expansion. Though a hands-on with the multiplayer component of F.E.A.R. was planned, network problems prevented successful connection. Instead, we got to try out a number of Instant Action stages, a special game mode created not included on the PC.

During our frenzied firefights we got a sense of how the A.I. behaved. Smart, engaging enemies were a big part of what made the PC version so entertaining, and we were happy to see enemies still seemed to have their virtual brains in place. Inside a ruined building later on during the game, we were engaged by a particularly nasty bunch of replicant soldiers. The wooden walls surrounding us were crumbling, letting us peer ahead at the three or four rooms that constituted the battle area. We flipped on our flashlight to get a better view, and found ourselves illuminating a grunt replicant soldier, and much to our chagrin, a heavy armor....

*Full Preview and screens in the link*

I still can't get over the stupid acronym title...how can they be on both Assault AND Recon at the same time?

I got the demo in the mail the other day. The AI seems to be pretty awesome, and the game is creepy as hell.

The Joker said:
I still can't get over the stupid acronym title...how can they be on both Assault AND Recon at the same time?

I SUPPOSE THE "ASSAULT" PART IS A CONTINGENCY PLAN, IF THEY GET BUSTED DOING "RECON". :confused: :o

I WANT THAT F***ING DEMO, BUT I HATE TO PAY $10.00 FOR 'OXM' TO GET IT; I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY AREN'T GOING TO RELEASE IT ON 'LIVE'. :down:mad:

I hate balanced weapons. That's what took the fun out of Halo 2.

That sucks that the demo wont be on LIVE only the crappy magazine :mad:

I dont think I need to try it before I buy it anyway. I know how good the PC version was and I have recently played the Multiplayer component that was just released.

This game will own on XBL :up:

WhatsHisFace said:
I hate balanced weapons. That's what took the fun out of Halo 2.

Heh... The hand gun. You could finish the whole game with that weapon and not die once :D

I miss the days of Quake when developers just didn't care. If you got the Rocket Launcher, you WOULD win the match. It was that simple.

Nowadays, you can burst-fire in zoom and all this garbage. :mad:

I'm gonna be an old crank someday. :(

WhatsHisFace said:
I miss the days of Quake when developers just didn't care. If you got the Rocket Launcher, you WOULD win the match. It was that simple.

Nowadays, you can burst-fire in zoom and all this garbage. :mad:

I'm gonna be an old crank someday. :(

IT'S NOT SO BAD. :o

Halo 2 was great, nothing took the fun out of it, and yeah, you're already half way there on the old crank thing :(

Is it that one from Liepzig? Cancel that. Read this to explain the bad framerate you'll hear about, and spare yourself the brain damage of listening to the guy play the game. Whoever it was really sucked at it, it would be like making a video of Halo 3 gameplay where the guy just runs to a corner and jumps for five minutes :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"