Fable III

No one says it needed that, but saying it would be 'tacked on' is just a total non-point. You could say any game feature could potentially be 'tacked on', it depends entirely on the dev's commitment to the game. There could actually be a totally epic, bad ass boss fight that serves as an engaging and dramatic climax and punctuation to the story.
And what would not be tacked on about a "totally epic, bad ass boss fight" with what's-his-name? (I don't actually remember what it was - Lucian? Lucius? No, that's the Batman guy. Was it the former?) The entire game establishes, from the beginning where he shoots children, that the only way he can trump you is with his attempted-supergenius status, his army, and the eventual power the Tower-thingy (nope, don't remember its proper name, either) gives said army. Lucian himself is a non-issue throughout the entire narrative, which is why he plays a bogeyman role until he shows up [BLACKOUT]right near the end, when you're supposedly powerless, to shoot you in the face like he wanted to do when you were a child, only to have doggy jump in the way and his plans be ruuuuuiiiiinnnnned.[/BLACKOUT]

So what should the final boss have been? Himself, somehow super-powered in a way that defies the narrative we have? Yep, that'd be tacked on.

Let's see - some out-of-left-field other power that's been secretly controlling Lucian all this time to do bad things he didn't really want to be a part of? Yep, that'd be tacked on.

Lordie, I know people will ***** about anything, but - oh, wait, it's you. Nevermind. I get it. :awesome: :hrt:

I'm not *****ing, just taking issue with your total non-point, saying it would have been tacked on. If Lionhead had WANTED it, it would NOT have been tacked on, it would have been treated with the same depth of narrative and gameplay as the rest of the game.

i just feel the ending was extremely anti-climatic, and while, it may have worked in a movie format... for game format, it failed. You need to have some sort of pay-off to at least challenge the player and not let it feel all too easy. which it did.

i just feel the ending was extremely anti-climatic, and while, it may have worked in a movie format... for game format, it failed. You need to have some sort of pay-off to at least challenge the player and not let it feel all too easy. which it did.

While we're talking about the challenge level, the Fable series hasn't seriously challenged me since the first game. Back then if you died during a quest, you had to redo it. In the third game, your guy just got up all plucky. They should have at least kept the scar penalty they were talking about (getting a disfiguring scar every time you died in combat), but enough weak-ass players boohooed about it so they took it out. As it is, there are absolutely no consequences for falling in combat. And the enemies are damn easy (with the exception of the Sand Furies on Aurora) to begin with. It's also too damn easy to make loads of money, but that's another can of worms.

Fable 3 saves itself with its awesome story, charming graphics and choice system, but if it trusted the player's ability it could have been so much more.

Yeah.. the first game I only felt had difficulty in its bosses and challenges (it felt like health was far more important, as was finding health) I loved the scar idea, as well as the 2nd games addition to potions that got rid of scars, and that one mission where you chose saving a life or killing them and gaining their youth.

This can be debated, as we were. Sure, some players feel cheated, and for some players, it doesn't matter.

While we're talking about the challenge level, the Fable series hasn't seriously challenged me since the first game. Back then if you died during a quest, you had to redo it. In the third game, your guy just got up all plucky. They should have at least kept the scar penalty they were talking about (getting a disfiguring scar every time you died in combat), but enough weak-ass players boohooed about it so they took it out. As it is, there are absolutely no consequences for falling in combat. And the enemies are damn easy (with the exception of the Sand Furies on Aurora) to begin with. It's also too damn easy to make loads of money, but that's another can of worms.

Fable 3 saves itself with its awesome story, charming graphics and choice system, but if it trusted the player's ability it could have been so much more.
Yeah, I don't think I died once in Fable III. Or even came close to it, now that I think back.

And yeah about the money, hah. I remember people *****ing about not having enough money to make all the good decisions as monarch, so I bought that first city and its businesses and was rolling in the dough a few hours later.

haven't played this game yet.......but can you dual wield weapons or only one weapon at a time??

And yeah about the money, hah. I remember people *****ing about not having enough money to make all the good decisions as monarch, so I bought that first city and its businesses and was rolling in the dough a few hours later.

yeah, i think the idea of money is fine. If you're smart with it, you'll have plenty of money. I sure did for all my kingly duties in III

The money system could be gamed so easily as El Bastardo pointed out. All you do is buy every property you can afford and you make back the money ten-fold in about an hour. They should have put more thought into it. When I was monarch, I never had a tough decision because I had a couple mil to spare. (So Reaver could go screw himself every time :oldrazz: )

Yeah, I always wished there was more to Fable after that point, when you've got all the money. I think in many ways, especially in co-op in Fable 3, I enjoyed more of the property purchasing and amassing of wealth etc than the combat. It would be nice if, once you've bought all the property, there was more for that to go than simply repairing things. Some kind of game engine that keeps things going, perhaps an actual fluctuating Albion economy, I don't know.

it'd be really cool if eventually, when you own the buildings, your ability to repair, decorate, and put money into the buildings caused the city to get more modern, more buildings go up, and the city expands. (that would be pretty awesome).

also... I came up with the idea of a game a few years ago in college, where it has a similar fable system, but the main story would essentially be that you "free" an occupied city from a terrible dark force, and after you take over that city, you're able to unlock essentially a map editor, and personalize the town in your own way, and what you do with it, and how you take care of it, effects some of the outcome of who you are as a character. after you've free/invaded all of the other towns, you have full control over the whole kingdom, and you could upload essentially your kingdom online to play in others or they could go to yours.

also... I came up with the idea of a game a few years ago in college, where it has a similar fable system, but the main story would essentially be that you "free" an occupied city from a terrible dark force, and after you take over that city, you're able to unlock essentially a map editor, and personalize the town in your own way, and what you do with it, and how you take care of it, effects some of the outcome of who you are as a character. after you've free/invaded all of the other towns, you have full control over the whole kingdom, and you could upload essentially your kingdom online to play in others or they could go to yours.

I'd play it! :awesome:

Also, if you could then take that town into combat against neighboring fiefdoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"