Reaction score
League ID#: 4891
League Name: SHH!/CS! Fantasy Hockey League
Password: hockey

Draft Type: Live Draft
Draft Time: Sat Sep 30 1:00pm CDT
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.c...ivateleague;_ylt=AnoygfM8qWgkgNZcs025xWQyvMMF

Tell me when you would like the live draft to take place. We need a even number of teams to join (and it can be changed to 14,16 etc) and hopefully you're comitted for the entire season.

The last few weeks of the NHL regular season will be the Fantasy league's playoffs.

I'm in, But I don't know naything about hockey. When does it start the season, that is?

Darren Daring said:
I'm in, But I don't know naything about hockey. When does it start the season, that is?

Wed. Oct.4. The pre-season starts just after mid-September. Plenty of time to learn the basics and learn who are the ones you want to draft.

Venom Drool said:
screw CS!.. do it here

Posted a link there, so I just posted one here.

Penguins are now Crosby's team

Associated Press
8/22/2006 8:19:14 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Now that Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux has retired again, the Pittsburgh Penguins are moving on behind another big star.

General manager Ray Shero and coach Michel Therrien must decide whether 19-year-old Sidney Crosby - the team's best player and the face of the franchise - should wear the "C" as the team captain at the Oct. 5 opener against Philadelphia.

Other possible choices include forwards Mark Recchi and John LeClair. But they are not the big scorers they once were, and both have spent most of their careers with other teams.

Crosby, making an unannounced appearance Tuesday at the Penguins youth camp, said he wouldn't turn down the "C" but won't campaign for it.

"If one day whoever makes that decision decides they'd like me to have it, it would be a huge honour," said Crosby, designated by Therrien as an alternate captain immediately after the coach was hired in December. "But, at the same time, it's something you have to earn. That's not something you take lightly. For me it's my second year, so it's not something you're thinking about. I'm working on improving myself as a player and a person, and that's all I really worry about."

Crosby acknowledged he and Recchi had issues before the 17-season veteran was traded to Stanley Cup champion Carolina. Apparently, Recchi felt Crosby was too vocal and demonstrative about calls that didn't go his way, especially for a rookie. The two since have talked, and Crosby said he welcomes Recchi's return.

Crosby also has closely followed Penguins draft pick Evgeni Malkin's clandestine departure from his Russian team in Finland and his recent journey to the United States, where he hopes to join the Penguins for camp next month.

"It's a pretty amazing story," Crosby said. "What he went through is pretty unbelievable. He showed a lot of guts to go through that and come over here. I think everyone is just looking forward to having him here and making him feel as comfortable as possible."

Malkin, 20, and Crosby, 19, are expected to give the Penguins a dynamic and very young combination at centre. The two are a combined 39 years old, or nearly Recchi's age; Recchi turns 39 on Feb. 1.

"If we're both at our best and both lines are at their best, we're going to be tough," said Crosby, who has played against Malkin in the world and world junior championships.

Crosby, who spent the day instructing some players who weren't much younger than him, was pleased with his rookie season but knows he can improve. He became the youngest player in NHL history to have a 100-point season and only the second 18-year-old to do so, though it didn't prevent a fourth consecutive Penguins last-place division finish.

"You never want to gauge a season on your plus-minus and stuff like that but, being a responsible player out there, you want to be out there for more goals than against," said Crosby, a minus-1 for the season. ``It's something I want to work on. I'm not a 10-year veteran, but I want to make sure I'm the leader out there and do my best to lead by example."

Captain or not.

Eric Draven said:
I'm surprised Malkin hasn't been killed off yet :huh:

They're going to take out Malkin and Crosby at the same time. :ghost: Russian mafia at an exhibition game in Maritimes.... Hopefully the few new players the Penguins picked up will protect Crosby this season.

Nah, I think Crosby is relatively safe. Malkin and Ovechkin though, they better have extra security next time the Caps play the Pens :csad:

I know the actual sport of hockey inside and out but I don't know diddly about this fantasy stuff. What do I need to do?

I'm in ... :word:

And I'm not settling for second place... :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

:csad:

Mr. Walters said:
I know the actual sport of hockey inside and out but I don't know diddly about this fantasy stuff. What do I need to do?

Then you should have no problem. We'll have a live draft where each team will take turns selecting players. If you can't make it, you can rank as many players you want and if they're still around they'll make your team. Then you dress players the days they play and earn you stats. In this league your team will face off against another for one week. You can make trades, drop players, add players, put them on IR. If we get 12 teams for this league, the top 6 will make the playoffs and the top 2 will get byes for the first round.

The main thing is to monitor the players in waivers who are better than your crappy players and that you dress people when they play. Sometimes you might have 3 goalies playing but can only dress 2 so you have to choose who is going to get better stats.

Checketts guarantees winning start
TSN.ca Staff
8/31/2006 12:43:42 PM

Newly minted St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts has guaranteed the team will win its home opener October 12 against the Boston Bruins.

"I just think that home opener is a big moment for us," Checketts tells the St. Louis Post Dispatch. "I know our guys will be up for that. ... It's the start of a new era. I know it's a trite phrase, but it's the Show-Me State ... so we're going to have to deliver to get the fans back."

It's been a summer of big change for the Blues, who finished last season with the worst record in the NHL. Former NHL goalie and hockey analyst John Davidson was installed as the head of hockey operations and in less than two months, he has added five new faces to the lineup, including Bill Guerin and Martin Rucinsky, as well as re-signing Doug Weight.

Checketts has even gone as far as expressing optimism that the Blues can get back to the playoffs as early as next season.

"I know the team will put a fair amount of pressure on itself. These guys who are in the room will feel strongly about delivering, so if we're in contention for a playoff spot going into the last 20 games, anything can happen."

Checketts also made the decision to raise ticket prices which didn't sit well with some fans, but the new owner says the increase was necessary to get the Blues to the next level.

"You can't have the best club in the NHL with the lowest ticket prices; it doesn't work," he explains. "We're under pressure to deliver a great team and a great experience, and the fans have to step up and pay more."

"(The fans) have a bitter taste in their mouth about last year and about stripping the club down. But I think they recognize that I'm not the one who stripped the club down, so I hope that they give us a chance."

Checketts says he did not agree with trading away defenseman Chris Pronger, which was made to free up salary and make the franchise more appealing to potential buyers.

"(Former owner) Bill (Laurie) thought he was doing the best thing to not commit the organization to long-term expensive contracts," Checketts said. "I would have rather had the franchise with Chris Pronger, but it wasn't in my hands."

Hopefully the Blues tank, so John Davidson can get back on television. He always had the best info on upcoming trades/potential hirings/firings. The Blues beating the Bruins? I don't see that happening.

GM Keenan and Panthers part ways
TSN.ca Staff
9/3/2006 3:09:59 PM

The Florida Panthers and their general manager are not waiting together to see how the 2006-07 NHL season will unfold.

Even after an offseason of major player transactions and renewed playoff hopes, the team announced in a statement Sunday that Mike Keenan has resigned from his front office post and has been replaced by head coach Jacques Martin.

It is not clear what led to the move - made just days before the start of training camp. While the Panthers are publicly saying he has resigned, sources tell TSN that Keenan was actually forced out.

Keenan had three years remaining on his contract with the Panthers and leaves after working parts of four seasons with the club. He was named head coach of the Panthers in December of 2001 and held the post until November of 2003.

He returned to the team as general manager in May of 2004 and immediately made a flurry of changes to improve the club's fortunes. He hired Martin - a former Ottawa bench boss who was also his university teammate - as head coach and added veteran players such as forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts and Chris Gratton.

The team failed to make the playoffs for a fifth straight season in 2005-06, prompting Keenan to make more dramatic moves over the summer. He swung a blockbuster deal that saw superstar netminder Roberto Luongo go to Vancouver for a package that featured power forward Todd Bertuzzi, and also signed veteran goalie Ed Belfour.

The Panthers were Keenan's seventh NHL team. He began his NHL career as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1984, and then led the Chicago Blackhawks behind the bench in 1988, guiding both teams to the Stanley Cup Final.

In 1993-94, he was hired as head coach of New York Rangers and led the franchise to its first Stanley Cup win since 1940. Keenan also served as head coach and GM as the St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks, and Boston Bruins.

Keenan began his coaching career with the Peterborough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League.

Martin spent eight seasons with the Senators before joining Florida and is considered one of the league's top coaches. He won the Jack Adams award as coach of the year in 1998-99 and was runner-up three other times.

It will be his first general manager job in the NHL.

Atleast they didn't hire Ed Belfour or KKK member John Vanbiesbrouck as the GM.
I thought it was too hard to be GM and coach in the new NHL. I think Keenan's coaching days are done, he'll probably end up on Sportsnet. I'd rather see Sens coach Bryan Murray as GM seeing as he got Detroit started in the early 90s and took Florida and Anahiem to the finals in very little time.

slinger said:
Checketts guarantees winning start
TSN.ca Staff
8/31/2006 12:43:42 PM

Newly minted St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts has guaranteed the team will win its home opener October 12 against the Boston Bruins.

"I just think that home opener is a big moment for us," Checketts tells the St. Louis Post Dispatch. "I know our guys will be up for that. ... It's the start of a new era. I know it's a trite phrase, but it's the Show-Me State ... so we're going to have to deliver to get the fans back."

It's been a summer of big change for the Blues, who finished last season with the worst record in the NHL. Former NHL goalie and hockey analyst John Davidson was installed as the head of hockey operations and in less than two months, he has added five new faces to the lineup, including Bill Guerin and Martin Rucinsky, as well as re-signing Doug Weight.

Checketts has even gone as far as expressing optimism that the Blues can get back to the playoffs as early as next season.

"I know the team will put a fair amount of pressure on itself. These guys who are in the room will feel strongly about delivering, so if we're in contention for a playoff spot going into the last 20 games, anything can happen."

Checketts also made the decision to raise ticket prices which didn't sit well with some fans, but the new owner says the increase was necessary to get the Blues to the next level.

"You can't have the best club in the NHL with the lowest ticket prices; it doesn't work," he explains. "We're under pressure to deliver a great team and a great experience, and the fans have to step up and pay more."

"(The fans) have a bitter taste in their mouth about last year and about stripping the club down. But I think they recognize that I'm not the one who stripped the club down, so I hope that they give us a chance."

Checketts says he did not agree with trading away defenseman Chris Pronger, which was made to free up salary and make the franchise more appealing to potential buyers.

"(Former owner) Bill (Laurie) thought he was doing the best thing to not commit the organization to long-term expensive contracts," Checketts said. "I would have rather had the franchise with Chris Pronger, but it wasn't in my hands."

Hopefully the Blues tank, so John Davidson can get back on television. He always had the best info on upcoming trades/potential hirings/firings. The Blues beating the Bruins? I don't see that happening.
"Man for man we're better than any team in the F'n league."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"