Father/Son moments...

Kal-El.9859

Trust No One
Reaction score
I'm hoping we have some scenes in The Man of Steel with Jor-El and adult Kal-El in the fortress similar to Superman and Superman II where Jor-El is explaining things to Superman and the such. What do you guys and gals think?

It's time for something new.

I hope they go the Birthright route.

Yeah, the stuff Jor-el says to Clark is some of my favorite dialog ever. So I wouldn't mind something similar. However I also like how in birthright they don't really interact. But at the very end of the series they show how as Krypton is coming to an end, Jor-el and Lara find out that Kal-el survives the trip and lives on so they pretty much die happy. It was one of the best parts of an amazing series imo.

1-1.png

2.png

Yeah, the stuff Jor-el says to Clark is some of my favorite dialog ever. So I wouldn't mind something similar. However I also like how in birthright they don't really interact. But at the very end of the series they show how as Krypton is coming to an end, Jor-el and Lara find out that Kal-el survives the trip and lives on so they pretty much die happy. It was one of the best parts of an amazing series imo.

1-1.png

2.png

that part was pretty cool but I do love the interaction between Kal-El and Jor-El

Hopefully Father/ Son moments between Clark and Jonathan and not Jor-el/Superman...

Why not both? I'm not saying Clark has to spend 12 years in the fortress, but at least one scene where Jor-El and Lara tell him of his origins and say goodbye shouldn't hurt.

I meant both as in father/son moments between both Jonathan and Jor-El,but yeah that too.

It's like there's some sortof schism between fans who prefer the Kryptonian side of Superman and fans who prefer his human upbringing. What's wrong with just having both? You don't think Jor-El would want to guide his son somehow to make sure he doesn't become some power mad maniac and destroy the world?

That's why I like Jor-El and Jonathan both giving him guidance

for me, I find more Jonathan Kent and Clark scenes more relatable. Jor-El/Fortress is just a memory, but I rather see more JK scenes, i mean Clark was raised by the Kents, so I think we need to see those scenes because it shows where Clark got his values from .

No to Jor-el/ Kal-el.......Yes to Jonathan Kent/Clark!

Sending Kal-el off Krypton should be a desperate act. The only possible way for Kal-el to survive, but his future should not be something that Jor-el can forsee or influence. There was no time to plot out Kal-el's future!
Done with the whole....."Your destiny"...."Giving my only son".....psuedo religious rubbish involving Jor-el as the guiding light. It is a role of the dice that puts Kal-el in the care of the Kent's, and it is that random encounter that creates the fiber of
Superman's character.
Superman is the ultimate hero as he is both born (Kryptonian under yellow sun) and made a hero(Kent,s upbringing).

Hopefully Father/ Son moments between Clark and Jonathan and not Jor-el/Superman...

This. A thousand times this.

Jonathan Kent is Clark Kent's father, not Jor-El. Clark is from Kansas, not Krypton. If we're going to get emotional and character development from a parental figure, it should be from the one who actually raised him, not from the big giant head in the Arctic.

Sending Kal-el off Krypton should be a desperate act. The only possible way for Kal-el to survive, but his future should not be something that Jor-el can forsee or influence. There was no time to plot out Kal-el's future!
Done with the whole....."Your destiny"...."Giving my only son".....psuedo religious rubbish involving Jor-el as the guiding light. It is a role of the dice that puts Kal-el in the care of the Kent's, and it is that random encounter that creates the fiber of
Superman's character.
Superman is the ultimate hero as he is both born (Kryptonian under yellow sun) and made a hero(Kent,s upbringing).
:up:
no more jor-el!!! he is dead!!! Jonathan kent pls!!!

Just a simple recording from Jor-El and Lara is good enough for me. Any "moments" would be with the Kents.

for me, I find more Jonathan Kent and Clark scenes more relatable. Jor-El/Fortress is just a memory, but I rather see more JK scenes, i mean Clark was raised by the Kents, so I think we need to see those scenes because it shows where Clark got his values from .

There's no reason there can't be scenes between Jonathan and Clark aswell. I like Superman to be part of two worlds, and as long as part of him is human, that's enough to make him relatable.

Superman's character.

You know, I've never really understand why people find the Donner depiction of Jor-El and Krypton as so offensive. Not the part where Krypton is an ice planet, but the allegories, where Jor-El is God, Krypton is Heaven, and Zod is Satan. It's not as if the movie's trying to convert anyone. If anything, it emphasizes a part of Superman that should be emphasized more. Part of what's cool about Superman is he's like a god but brought to life through nature, evolution and science. I appreciate the parallels even though I'm not religious.

This. A thousand times this.

Jonathan Kent is Clark Kent's father, not Jor-El. Clark is from Kansas, not Krypton. If we're going to get emotional and character development from a parental figure, it should be from the one who actually raised him, not from the big giant head in the Arctic.

Without Jor-El and Krypton, Clark would just be a normal man. Sure he might have the moral character we've come to love, but it wouldn't be the same. Why is there always a push to de-emphasize the alien side?

Lead Cenobite said:
You know, I've never really understand why people find the Donner depiction of Jor-El and Krypton as so offensive. Not the part where Krypton is an ice planet, but the allegories, where Jor-El is God, Krypton is Heaven, and Zod is Satan. It's not as if the movie's trying to convert anyone. If anything, it emphasizes a part of Superman that should be emphasized more. Part of what's cool about Superman is he's like a god but brought to life through nature, evolution and science. I appreciate the parallels even though I'm not religious.

No problem with a discussion of similarities with previous religious mythologies, they are in part inspirational in Superman's creation, and hence unavoidable, but IMO lines from Jor-el like......"For this reason above all, I have sent them you...my only son." are overbearing prejudicial and unnecessary.

I definitely think there should be Jor-El guiding him in the Fortress teaching him things through the crystals from Krypton. Clark may be from Kansas but Kal-El is from Krypton and you can't deny that or sweep it under the rug. And I don't want a rehash of Jor-El's lines from the original Superman. That was great but give me something I haven't seen yet. Jor-El has got to teach him about his Kryptonian origin...Clark certainly isn't gonna figure it out on his own and Johnathan Kent can't teach that to him.

It's like there's some sortof schism between fans who prefer the Kryptonian side of Superman and fans who prefer his human upbringing.

...I dont see anyone who prefers that Supes just talk to Jor El. However, all I see are people acting as if Kal El's kryptonian parents dont matter. Which is sad, but the fact is that there are those who want superman's entire story represented, and those who just wanna see post crisis superman onscreen.

...I dont see anyone who prefers that Supes just talk to Jor El. However, all I see are people acting as if Kal El's kryptonian parents dont matter. Which is sad, but the fact is that there are those who want superman's entire story represented, and those who just wanna see post crisis superman onscreen.

if you're gonna tell an origins story you have to include Krypton and everything involved with it. That includes Jor-El, Lara and Jor-El giving Kal-El guidance...

^ I'm not disagreeing with that. But some fanboys are intent on seeing only Clark and Jonathan bonding because they're post crisis fans,the version starts off with a Superman who's essential idea is "I'm just a average, human guy who just happens to have superpowers", who dosent care about krypton, and often goes back to ma and pa for counsel or advice.

I want to see him embrace his Kryptonian heritage...not run from it or pretend it's not there

^ Me too....its what Superman would do, and has done for the majority of his history. And part of embracing that is getting to know who his biological father was, especially since Jor El himself is a noble and wise character....

I agree, he needs to learn from both of his parents, Jor-El and Johnathan. That would make for the best story

Yes and the Birthright route would do exactly that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"