Comics Favorite Alan Moore Superman story

stargazer

wanderer
Reaction score
So, I recently bought this book called DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore, which contains two of the most popular Superman stories that I've heard of: Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow? And For the Man Who Has Everything.

I REALLY liked them, especially FTMWHE, which I found very compelling and interesting. Now I understand why Alan Moore is considered a really good writer. He IS great. I also liked WHTTMOT, but I think it's overrated. I found it a little bit boring and too bland in some parts, BUT that ending rocked!

So for those who have read these stories, which one did you like the most and why?

And for those who HAVEN'T read them, what are you waiting for? Especially if you are a Superman fan.

Those are pretty much the only Moore Superman stories worth reading. And you're right, they're both awesome.

I'd also recommend finding his run on Supreme, particularly 'Story of the Year.' It's not actually Superman, but it's pretty much supposed to be.

Those are pretty much the only Moore Superman stories worth reading. And you're right, they're both awesome.

I'd also recommend finding his run on Supreme, particularly 'Story of the Year.' It's not actually Superman, but it's pretty much supposed to be.

Not actually Superman? Can you elaborate, please?

And is this Supreme run collected? Is it really worth getting? :yay:

So, tell me, why did you pick Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Why do you like it better? I had heard many good things about it, and I liked it, but found it overrated. I think FTMWHE is better and more interesting.

Supreme was an indy comic, originally meant as just another in a long line of Superman parodies. Moore's run changed it into more of a love-letter to the Silver-Age comics, Superman in particular. The character walks, talks, and acts like the old school Supes, right down to the super-powered dog, but is technically a different character.

I've seen a paperback of 'Story of the Year,' and have been kicking myself for not picking it up since then. You'd probably have to special order it, because Supreme is kinda hard to find in run-of-the-mill comic shops.

Anyway, I picked 'Whatever Happened' simply because I appreciated the larger scale of the story. It not only delved into the character and his mythology, but also showed just how important he is to the DC Universe at large. They're both fantastic stories, but that one just barely edges the other one out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"