Favorite FF Covers

Malus

Sidekick
Reaction score
Post your favorites. :yay:
Here's one of mine. It's FF Annual #7...from 1969, I think. A great Jack Kirby cover that's not often seen:
FFKS7.jpg

One of the best symbolic covers I've seen...
2801ez0.jpg

Conveys emotion and scene well...
516qg4.jpg

Fantastic coloring...
2441yr9.jpg

I've always liked this cover. Makes me want to buy the issue every time I see it...
2631iv6.jpg

Cool effect...
2821ss3.jpg

Can't go wrong with this one. Too iconic to pass up...
ff1kirbykb2.jpg

A fitting send-off for Waid and Wieringo...
5243mq1.jpg

I like skulls...
2574gs0.jpg

The state of Reed's mind and being of that time are portrayed really well here...
4071bp3.jpg

Another cool effect...
3701ib7.jpg

(I'm sure there's more covers I like and I may add them if I find any.)

Here's another of my favorites. For weeks I was unable to buy it because my Dad had cut me off from comics until I learned my multiplication tables.
I love the graduated blue background and the bright yellow logo. Quite a dynamic cover from Rich Buckler.
FF159.jpg

Another one of my childhood favorites: The long-awaited reconciliation of Reed and Sue, who had been separated for 2 years. Medusa had been taking her place since she left Reed in FF #130.
Oh yeah, and the Sub-Mariner was attacking New York.
Cover by Rich Buckler...
FF149.jpg

Classic John Buscema & Joe Sinnott.
The "Second Coming" of Galactus, complete with the Big G's new herald, Gabriel.

FF121.jpg

Oh, find us that "Masque of Doom" cover please. Priceless. And Shulkie's first solo cover in "The Naked Truth".

A favorite Byrne cover featuring Frankie Raye:

FF239.jpg

There's an interesting story behind that Masque of Doom cover. John Byrne said on his website that there was an actual mask made for the publicity department, IIRC used in one of those Macy's Thanksgiving Day parades for the character actors. That's a photograph of it with a little bit of embellishing for the eyebeams.

I really love this one. Since I missed out on the first publication of the Galactus saga in FF #48-50 (I was about 3) my first exposure to the story came in the pages of the FF reprint series Marvel's Greatest Comics.
They actually had new covers drawn for these reprints for the longest time. This cover for the reprint of FF #48 (first Silver Surfer) is by John Buscema with inks by Joe Sinnott. I always thought it was a knock-out:

MGC35.jpg

Yeah, those old pics of Uatu show how the portrayal of Watchers has changed into big-headed, less-musclebound humanoids.

While putting together the Cover Countdown thread on the FF2 Spoilers forum, I remembered how much I love this one. Gil Kane's cover to FF #160 from 1974:

FF160.jpg

one of my favorite is a cover where the shadow of chrystal the elemental is looming over suewearing a torn costume after a fight

^ I think you mean this one, by Rich Buckler & Joe Sinnott:
FF332.jpg

Nice cover, yeah. But the stories inside the book at this point were one of the FF's all-time lows in my opinion. Each cover represented a "dream story" because the FF were being held in suspended animation by the Wizard. For what seemed like forever, we had to endure a "What Johnny is dreaming" or "What Sue is dreaming" sequence for most of each issue. This cover was a stand-out for that year, though. Looking through the others from that period, there's a sameness to them all. This was an exception. It was also the era of the spikey, "pineapple" Thing (ugh) and the "She-Thing."
Right before Walt Simonson took over

^ I think you mean this one, by Rich Buckler & Joe Sinnott:
FF332.jpg

Nice cover, yeah. But the stories inside the book at this point were one of the FF's all-time lows in my opinion. Each cover represented a "dream story" because the FF were being held in suspended animation by the Wizard. For what seemed like forever, we had to endure a "What Johnny is dreaming" or "What Sue is dreaming" sequence for most of each issue. This cover was a stand-out for that year, though. Looking through the others from that period, there's a sameness to them all. This was an exception. It was also the era of the spikey, "pineapple" Thing (ugh) and the "She-Thing."
Right before Walt Simonson took over

i do indeed thanks malus:ff:

Here's a few more of my favorites...
FF120.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back