February 2013 Sales Thread

Yeah, I know you somehow find a way not to see Cyclops as a raving extremist villain. It's impressive, really. :oldrazz:

And he's not alone. After the last issue of Uncanny X-men you can't really call him a villain. You could call Captain America and his friends ignorant hypocrites though.

Haven't read it. But if that's the way it portrays Cap, it's a mischaracterization. Then again, it's written by the same guy who has Cap sobbing in a corner in Age of Ultron, so mischaracterization is sort of a given.

Meh. It's pretty consistent since AvX, Consequences, New Avengers, and any appearance in an X-title. He basically told Cyclops and Emma that they were under arrest, and when they brought up how sketchy the Avengers have been he just ignored it. Captain America did come across better than Hawkeye at least.

To be fair, I feel like you or any other Cap fan would agree with him and feel he was justified.

But in the title it was a big PR win for Cyclops' team, and the Avengers appeared "threatened."

Last edited:
Well, Cyclops is a fanatical murderer at this point, so yeah, I probably would agree with Cap that he should be in prison. Then again, I still think Wolverine needs to be put in prison for a whole litany of crimes instead of molding the mutant heroes of tomorrow, so that may just be me.

What are your feelings on Scarlet Witch? I urks me seeing Captain America going headstrong against Cyclops, but is ok with Scarlet Witch roaming free. Hypocritical.

We only saw Cyclops kill Xavier, under the influence of the Phoenix. Jean killed billions due to that thing. I wouldn't be comfortable calling either of them "murderers."

Cyclops' fanaticism is basically justified. I wouldn't call it fanatical even. More like pointing out reality.

Yeah the hypocrisy when it comes to the Scarlet Witch who happens to be an Avenger is astounding. She NEVER went to jail and has never been put under arrest. She killed countless people and just roamed around free for years afterwards and comes back and they just take her back in. YET Cyclops is this big criminal that killed one person (which wasn't even his fault) and he needs to be incarcerated according to them.

Iron Man killed someone while under mind control just prior to Civil War, didn't he?

There should be a story where someone brings all of those situations to light in a very public way, then watch as the Avengers have, or heroes in general, have to scramble to keep from being lynched. I think it'd be interesting.

Iron Man killed someone while under mind control just prior to Civil War, didn't he?

There should be a story where someone brings all of those situations to light in a very public way, then watch as the Avengers have, or heroes in general, have to scramble to keep from being lynched. I think it'd be interesting.

DC would have to do it first, then Marvel will do it. :hehe:

But in a slightly different way so they can throw their hands up and go, 'What? We're not doing what they did.'

What are your feelings on Scarlet Witch? I urks me seeing Captain America going headstrong against Cyclops, but is ok with Scarlet Witch roaming free. Hypocritical.

We only saw Cyclops kill Xavier, under the influence of the Phoenix. Jean killed billions due to that thing. I wouldn't be comfortable calling either of them "murderers."

Cyclops' fanaticism is basically justified. I wouldn't call it fanatical even. More like pointing out reality.

Yeah the hypocrisy when it comes to the Scarlet Witch who happens to be an Avenger is astounding. She NEVER went to jail and has never been put under arrest. She killed countless people and just roamed around free for years afterwards and comes back and they just take her back in. YET Cyclops is this big criminal that killed one person (which wasn't even his fault) and he needs to be incarcerated according to them.
I wish Bendis would actually address this.

I'm very surprised JLA sold that much...it outsold JL's initial printing by 100,000...althout JL may have been intentionally under-shipped. Either way, I think this is the second best selling comic ever behind The Walking Dead...very surprised at this.

I'm not very surprised. They were extremely brilliant in letting comic shops order the state flag of their choice; so, naturally, shops would order extras for those fans who clamor for variant covers. (Personally, I bought the full collection that they were offering for $150. And, I got my usual 20% discount. As a teacher, I found this a cool thing to show the elementary kids, as we are going to be discussing the various states soon.) I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't sell more than that.

And I'm sure Uncanny X-Men #2's sales number belies how demanded it actually was. Marvel has been doing the same crap with All-New X-Men...my shop barely ever gets enough copies of what they order for the series. Marvel has to be doing this on purpose to raise the value of the books...and of course get people on their subscription list.

As a collector and a person who buys their books, I appreciate this much more than a glutton of books. It's not that hard to give your comic shop a list of the books you want (I think my shop has either 5 or 10 books being the minimum); and, we really should support our shops with subscriptions. Without them, we'd have to rely on the mail sending us a possibly tattered copy. While I like that Justice League had all those variant covers, it doesn't make me happy that the issue really won't be worth much because of the enormous amount of copies that were distributed.

My thoughts:

- Just like I thought, the Marvel NOW launches of Red She-Hulk and Journey into Mystery were a complete and total mess.

- Sad to see X-Factor drop over 1,000 units. I don't see this book surviving into the next year without a relaunch.

- Surprised to see Thunderbolts remain stable this month

- Glad to see Star Wars and Thor gain in sales, Indestructible Hulk looking like it will find it's level soon, and see Avengers Arena drop pretty hard.

I'm hoping Avengers Arena stays were it is. It's been a fantastic series, and each issue has the great characterization that is missing in most books from Marvel and DC. I can slightly understand why some people had initial anger over the book; but, it's just as well written as Avengers Academy was before it. There are some long, forgotten characters, like Cammi (sp?) from Drax the Destroyer, who have shown up. (Plus, it was great to see Kid Brition get his come-upance last issue.)

I've only bought the first issue before dropping it, but I skim every issue and it does look pretty good. I keep considering coming back to it but just can't bring myself to do it. I need to cut titles, not add more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"