Senate Kills Minimum Wage Bill

Future Prez

Sidekick
Reaction score
Minimum wage bill stalls in Senate
Republican bill, denounced as 'ploy' by Democrats, would also cut estate taxes.
August 4 2006: 6:27 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Republicans Thursday night failed to advance a bill coupling a 40-percent increase in the minimum wage with a cut in estate taxes, which Democratic leaders had denounced as an election-year ploy.
A move by GOP leaders to cut off debate and move to a final vote on the bill failed to get the 60 votes it needed under Senate rules. The vote, which fell mostly along party lines, was 56 to 42.
After the vote, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist pulled the measure from the Senate floor. However, he switched his vote on the motion to cut off debate from "yes" to "no," a procedural maneuver which allows him to try to advance the bill again when lawmakers return from their August recess.
Noting that a majority of senators favored the bill, which passed the House last week, Frist said he was "confident that we could have finished the measure this weekend and presented it to the president in the next couple of days."
"I hope that the Democratic senators will rethink, long and hard, over the weeks to come before we return for business in September," Frist said.
Thursday's vote was a victory for Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, who had vowed to block the measure.
The bill would have raised the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour over three years, the first increase in a decade.
It would also have replaced current cuts in the estate tax, due to expire in 2010, with new provisions eliminating the tax entirely on estates worth up to $5 million - $10 million for a married couple - and capping the tax at 15 percent on estates up to $25 million. Larger estates would be taxed at 30 percent.
In an effort to draw support of enough Democratic senators to advance the bill, Republican leaders also sweetened the measure with extensions of tax credits for state and local taxes, research and development and college tuition, which many Democrats support, as well as a program to reclaim abandoned mines, pushed by senators from coal-producing states.
But in the end, despite their traditional support for a minimum wage increase, most Senate Democrats voted not to advance the bill because it was coupled with the estate tax cut, which benefits higher-income taxpayers.
Senators from both parties have vowed to make both the minimum wage and estate tax key issues in the upcoming mid-term elections.
Last week, under pressure from about 50 moderate Republicans who wanted to boost the minimum wage, House GOP leaders agreed to a compromise measure that also included an estate tax cut to assuage conservatives opposed to a minimum wage boost. The bill passed the House 230-180.

Wow. The republicans can't just give the public a pay raise, w/o adding something that will sink the country further into debt. If we eliminate the estate tax, we need to hike taxes somewhere else to make-up for it.

I'm glad this bill failed. I'm opposed to raising the minimum wage and now is the time not to cut taxes.

How can you be against raising the minimum wage? Families that live on it are struggling to survive. It hasn't been raised in almost ten years, yet the cost of living has gone up how much?

can anyone even try to claim that the republicans care about anyone else aside from the wealthy? they tac on an estate tax cut (which only benefits the extremely wealthy) to a bill to raise the minimum wage. yet, lower class idiots from the bible belt and heartland still vote republican. what kind of "shoot yourself in the foot" logic is that?

sinewave said:
can anyone even try to claim that the republicans care about anyone else aside from the wealthy? they tac on an estate tax cut (which only benefits the extremely wealthy) to a bill to raise the minimum wage. yet, lower class idiots from the bible belt and heartland still vote republican. what kind of "shoot yourself in the foot" logic is that?

We don know no bettah!

No really, didnt Bush recently say he was for a raise in the minimum wage. I just think its pathetic that these guys can vote to give themselves raises but cant raise the minimum wage a $1?

In this particular case, the Dem's were right to shoot this thing down since the Republicans simply HAD to tack on this estate tax thing for no real damn reason.

jag

jaguarr said:
In this particular case, the Dem's were right to shoot this thing down since the Republicans simply HAD to tack on this estate tax thing for no real damn reason.

jag

You gotta a problem against people with estates?:mad:

jaguarr said:

jag

Yup, that Dems' proposal didn't include that, that's why they shot down this one. They prefer their own without the pro-wealthy agenda.

Fred_Fury said:
get a better job you losers

You don't really fully understand the impact of minimum wage on the overall economy, do you?

jag

jaguarr said:
You don't really fully understand the impact of minimum wage on the overall economy, do you?

jag

oh, and you do?

Future Prez said:
How can you be against raising the minimum wage? Families that live on it are struggling to survive. It hasn't been raised in almost ten years, yet the cost of living has gone up how much?

Because raising the minimum wage raises prices in goods which completely destroys the purpose of raising the minimum wage. They are spending the same percentage of their money for food, gas, clothing, etc. The lower class remains the same with no benefit at all. Rasing the minimum wage can result in lay-offs due to the rising costs of production and labor.

Raising the minimum wage negatively affects the middle and upper classes by raising the prices of goods and they don't have an increase of income (which they don't need). As a result, a higher percentage of their income goes to basic needs.

hippie_hunter said:
Because raising the minimum wage raises prices in goods which completely destroys the purpose of raising the minimum wage. They are spending the same percentage of their money for food, gas, clothing, etc. The lower class remains the same with no benefit at all. Rasing the minimum wage can result in lay-offs due to the rising costs of production and labor.

Raising the minimum wage negatively affects the middle and upper classes by raising the prices of goods and they don't have an increase of income (which they don't need). As a result, a higher percentage of their income goes to basic needs.

it should be a natural progression. the min. wage is worth less now than it has been in over 20 years. that's sad.

hippie_hunter said:

What about the lower class?

Darthphere said:
What about the lower class?

I already said that they don't benefit at all because they spend the extra wages in the extra prices of goods. Also some could get laid off due to the increase in prices of production and labor.

this should prove Now, republicans dont give a fcvk about the lower class...I'm soo pissed

sinewave said:
it should be a natural progression. the min. wage is worth less now than it has been in over 20 years. that's sad.

Yes it is sad, but if the government trys to help it will do nothing for them and negatively affect the others.

kane9321 said:
this should prove Now, republicans dont give a fcvk about the lower class...I'm soo pissed

No party gives a f**k about the lower class :o

hippie_hunter said:
Yes it is sad, but if the government trys to help it will do nothing for them and negatively affect the others.

i've debated this in my own thread months ago, so you can see my comments there. i really don't feel like recreating them.

The state of Pennsylvania's minimum wage goes up to $7.15 next year anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"