• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Transformers Filming has completed

Tad Fatherton said:
actually there will be 12 months time for the animators to be working on the cgi. do you guys believe that during the thre months of filming the anmators were doing nothing?

They were walking Michael Bay's dogs. No, wait, isn't that your job?

Robots are easier to animate than mammal-type beings, so it shouldn't take too long for them to get things rendered.

Boiiinng said:
Robots are easier to animate than mammal-type beings, so it shouldn't take too long for them to get things rendered.
thats why they use andy serkis.....
so its easier

Boiiinng said:
Is that simply because they don't have hair?? I would say they are just as hard because they have all the intricate parts.

Mal'Akai said:
Is that simply because they don't have hair?? I would say they are just as hard because they have all the intricate parts.

I don't think so. Its not like they have to render muscles underneath skin to make movement more realistic. Machinery CGI has always looked more realistic than organic CGI.

ragdus said:
Was I disparaging WotW? Nope. I thought that was an awesome movie. Point is: thinking you can establish a timeframe for this movie's CGI using the fact that Spielberg only took 3 months on WotW is grossly simplifying the matter.
He FILMED it in 3 months...I think the entire film was finished in around 8. They were doing effects work while filming. The entire film was fast tracked, and it turned out visually amazing.

I really dont know what we are arguing about. I do personally think 9 months is not enough, if the claims about how massive this film are to be believed.

Stewie Griffin said:
He FILMED it in 3 months...I think the entire film was finished in around 8. They were doing effects work while filming. The entire film was fast tracked, and it turned out visually amazing.

I really dont know what we are arguing about. I do personally think 9 months is not enough, if the claims about how massive this film are to be believed.
True, But also keep in mind that shooting in those short months resulted in a movie that was under 2 hours in length. I hope TF will be at least over 2 hours long. The problem with movies that are under 2 hours, Everything feels rushed.

nosebleed said:
I don't think so. Its not like they have to render muscles underneath skin to make movement more realistic. Machinery CGI has always looked more realistic than organic CGI.

Exactly, plus it's a heck of a lot quicker to draw, render and animate a rectangle that doesn't change shape, than an arm or a hand that is constantly in flux based on it's movement.

Yeah, it's not so hard to animate a rectangle, until you sit down and have to design a handful of robots each probably with thousands upon thousands of moving parts that must not only look very fluid, but must be absolutely flawless to the eye. Because they are transforming from objects we can easily compare them to. This isn't like the WotW robots where we can overlook inconsistencies due to there being no reference for them.

ragdus said:
Yeah, it's not so hard to animate a rectangle, until you sit down and have to design a handful of robots each probably with thousands upon thousands of moving parts that must not only look very fluid, but must be absolutely flawless to the eye. Because they are transforming from objects we can easily compare them to. This isn't like the WotW robots where we can overlook inconsistencies due to there being no reference for them.

Good point.

It depends on when they started creating the CGI stuff that's appearing in the movie.

If they've been working on the CGI for three or four months now then it's entirely possible that they can complete the movie in 9 months.

ragdus said:

Yes, but the programs are specifically written to handle joints that move and interact with other objects. But instead of having also to deal with how wind moves the hair, how an arm jiggles after the bone inside stops moving, etc. the CG in this film only has to worry about rendering an object and animating it, which shouldn't take too long to do once they've mapped out the sequence. Rendering alone is quicker because instead of gouraud shading an object the robotic forms are mostly prismatic and won't require a lot of computer memory to figure out how light will bend around it.

In fact, the more we talk about this, the more I think there probably won't be any cheating with the Transformations because that would actually require more work by the animators than to actually create the robot exactly how it should be to properly transform into something else. In 2D, we only animate what we see, but in 3D we have to animate everything, so they will have to make it work realistically.

i say TAKE THEIR TIME....

the longer they take the more crisp it will be

transformers aren't done filming yet.. last place was in detroit
in lansing MI my girlfriends old stopming grounds

that was only a few days at the beginning of the month. they wrapped that.

On a Disney DVD commentary (Ice Age, I believe), it was said that one second of animation can take up to 40 man-hours to produce. Don't know if the technology has advanced to where that is not the case now, but that is quite labor-intensive.

not_a_victim said:
On a Disney DVD commentary (Ice Age, I believe), it was said that one second of animation can take up to 40 man-hours to produce. Don't know if the technology has advanced to where that is not the case now, but that is quite labor-intensive.

That's why it costs more than traditional puppetry and animatronics.

Boiiinng said:
That's why it costs more than traditional puppetry and animatronics.

I'm sure that depends. Cheap crappy CGI (which ruins movies like Blade 2 and instantly dates made-for-TV-movies) I'm sure is cheaper than spending time and money on quality animatronics.

CFlash said:
I'm sure that depends. Cheap crappy CGI (which ruins movies like Blade 2 and instantly dates made-for-TV-movies) I'm sure is cheaper than spending time and money on quality animatronics.

You'd be surprised.

They've been working on the effects since pre production so as a poster mentioned its closer to 12months of cgi work.

Are those really the transformers that are going to appear in this movie?? I thought soundwave was in this!!!

Thank You Avangarde X, I did already read it earlier today, but You went the X-tra mile, and considerately have posted it on here, thank You again.

Can someone tell me how many of you actually work in the biz'? I know BlueJake does, because if you don't, how the **** could you possibly know how long it takes to do anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"