Firefly Thread (Brown Coats)

LexCorp said:
Again I salute your more than deep thought about the show. However I am not sure if a sequel should be mainly River orientated again. I would like to see the other characters be sent in front first.

Wouldn't necesairily be River oriented. Just the finale.

That's cool. I would think Mal and Zoe would become new leaders of a second rebellion. That story could have many avenues to go down.

Well, I thought that the season after the one I described, the pilot could come back, and help Mal and Zoe instigate something of that nature. I had this idea for a story where the pilot finds out that the Acadamy has been in operation for much longer than we thought, and has been responsible for alot of the technological leaps over the years. And, the power source for most of the inner planets isn't some new rare element they created.

It's superhumans.

Superhumans grown in a lab to serve a specific purpose. In the case of the energy sources, their sub atomic structures are constantly breaking down and regenerating, giving of massive amounts of energy.

The Question said:
Well, I thought that the season after the one I described, the pilot could come back, and help Mal and Zoe instigate something of that nature. I had this idea for a story where the pilot finds out that the Acadamy has been in operation for much longer than we thought, and has been responsible for alot of the technological leaps over the years. And, the power source for most of the inner planets isn't some new rare element they created.

It's superhumans.

Superhumans grown in a lab to serve a specific purpose. In the case of the energy sources, their sub atomic structures are constantly breaking down and regenerating, giving of massive amounts of energy.

That would cool also. The rebellion (Mal) could probably convince the super humans to turn on the alliance government at some point.

The Question said:
Oh. Are you sure?

Yeah positive, that why Wash says just before they do it "Here's something you cant do" The Reavers can do full burn, so why would he say that to the Reavers. What he meant was the engines flipping.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Yeah positive, that why Wash says just before they do it "Here's something you cant do" The Reavers can do full burn, so why would he say that to the Reavers. What he meant was the engines flipping.

Yeah an Ivan is most definitly when a side engine flips for a dramitic turn. Full burn is just pedal to the metal. :)

LexCorp said:
Yeah an Ivan is most definitly when a side engine flips for a dramitic turn. Full burn is just pedal to the metal. :)

Exactly right Lexcorp.

Cool, call me Lex lol.

A return of Janyes hat. I think I saw it in the movie for a second??

The Question said:
Remember the Operative with the sword from the movie? Well, I think Book used to have that guy's job, but after a while he couldn't deal with all the killing so he became a preist.

The novelization of 'Serenity' (which I don't think is strictly considered canon) strongly implied this. It's a little sketchy, though, since the Operative called Book by his full name and expressed recognition of his work as a government agent. Secret Operatives of the Parliament lose their names when they take the position. It seemed that Derrial Book went back to his original name, or the Operative associated his new name with his former identity a good while ago. Book seemed on good terms with the Alliance in the series, so maybe there's nothing wrong with him reclaiming his name.

:wolverine

Herr Logan said:
The novelization of 'Serenity' (which I don't think is strictly considered canon) strongly implied this. It's a little sketchy, though, since the Operative called Book by his full name and expressed recognition of his work as a government agent. Secret Operatives of the Parliament lose their names when they take the position. It seemed that Derrial Book went back to his original name, or the Operative associated his new name with his former identity a good while ago. Book seemed on good terms with the Alliance in the series, so maybe there's nothing wrong with him reclaiming his name.

Cool, thanks for the post about that. Answers a few things..

Herr Logan said:

Yeah, that's probably it. Although, the fact that the operatives lose their names is most likely a security thing. It probably doesn't matter if one is retired.

I think that's nice if they let Book stay on good terms with Alliance. I thought that they would of got rid of him if he retired?

LexCorp said:
Cool, thanks for the post about that. Answers a few things..

No problem.

I actually read the novel before the movie, and I was pretty disappointed that they didn't show the scene where Book shoots down the ship, is himself shot, and then the Operative actually talks to him. I realize that showing the action on Haven would be pushing whatever budget they had, but Book had so little exposure in the movie, and that shouldn't be the case. Well, for that matter, he shouldn't have died, either. Neither should Wash have died.

I know it's something we've seen before, but it would have been cool if Book had been in on the final firefight with the Reavers, takin' out kneecaps like in 'War Stories.'

Herr Logan said:
No problem.

I actually read the novel before the movie, and I was pretty disappointed that they didn't show the scene where Book shoots down the ship, is himself shot, and then the Operative actually talks to him. I realize that showing the action on Haven would be pushing whatever budget they had, but Book had so little exposure in the movie, and that shouldn't be the case. Well, for that matter, he shouldn't have died, either. Neither should Wash have died.

I know it's something we've seen before, but it would have been cool if Book had been in on the final firefight with the Reavers, takin' out kneecaps like in 'War Stories.'

Yeah I felt that it needed more Book, Inara etc... but now I know I think I should go out and get this novel to read. Fill in some blanks.

The Question said:
Yeah, that's probably it. Although, the fact that the operatives lose their names is most likely a security thing. It probably doesn't matter if one is retired.

Well, considering what the Hands of Blue did to several Alliance officers just because they talked to Simon (and therefore possibly River) in 'Ariel', thereby risking the potential for an information leak, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they didn't let Operatives retire and live. They certainly wouldn't want the Operative from 'Serenity' to live, considering he not only failed but aided and abetted the enemy. That's a guy who won't be using his original name again any time soon.

Joss Whedon is big on continuity, but there are a few discrepencies in 'Firefly' itself and between it and 'Serenity' (the biggest being the contradictory explanations for how Simon got River out of the Academy; he claimed he had her smuggled out and delivered in cryostasis by others, but in the movie, he did half the extraction by himself). Still, the reason I rack my brain over this stuff is because it's such a phenomenal franchise. I just hope if it continues-- either in movies or on TV, that it doesn't decline in quality. Comics are an okay medium, too, but without the cast of the show, it's a pale imitation. They really got the right people to do those parts.

As sad as Book's death (and possibly unnecessary) it did leave us with a great desire to know more about this character. And since we know how he ends, maybe we can someday get a different property about how he began...

LexCorp said:
Yeah I felt that it needed more Book, Inara etc... but now I know I think I should go out and get this novel to read. Fill in some blanks.

The book actually fills in a lot of blanks for people who haven't seen the show. In the narrative, the author cited a good deal of the episodes of the show in explanation of chracters' actions and thoughts.

I was shocked while reading when Mal Reynolds said he looks out for "me and mine-- now that don't include you unless I conjure it does," considering what he said at the end of 'Safe' in response to Simon asking him why he came back to pick him up: "You're on my crew." The novel cites that scene with quotes and addresses it by having Mal question what changed between then and now.

I realize that a person who hadn't seen the show (or even just read the novel) might be in the dark a little when watching the movie. It's unfortunate that the movie was far more of an action flick instead of the comedy/western/space opera that it was on the show. Still, it's a damn good movie, and the few moments of levity really count. "Dear Buddha, please send me a pony, and a plastic rocket, and..." :D

Herr Logan said:
The book actually fills in a lot of blanks for people who haven't seen the show. In the narrative, the author cited a good deal of the episodes of the show in explanation of chracters' actions and thoughts.

I was shocked while reading when Mal Reynolds said he looks out for "me and mine-- now that don't include you unless I conjure it does," considering what he said at the end of 'Safe' in response to Simon asking him why he came back to pick him up: "You're on my crew." The novel cites that scene with quotes and addresses it by having Mal question what changed between then and now.

I realize that a person who hadn't seen the show (or even just read the novel) might be in the dark a little when watching the movie. It's unfortunate that the movie was far more of an action flick instead of the comedy/western/space opera that it was on the show. Still, it's a damn good movie, and the few moments of levity really count. "Dear Buddha, please send me a pony, and a plastic rocket, and..." :D

The change in Simon and Mals relationship will interest me the most. I would like to see how that changed from the show.

Herr Logan said:

You know it's funny, cause at the end I was "impressed myownself" by how much the drama in an action flick got me to care. I actually cared about the people of Miranda.. I actually cared why the alliance wanted River back. You just don't get that emotion from the normal shoot'em up these days.

Angry Sentinel said:
You know it's funny, cause at the end I was "impressed myownself" by how much the drama in an action flick got me to care. I actually cared about the people of Miranda.. I actually cared why the alliance wanted River back. You just don't get that emotion from the normal shoot'em up these days.

True. There's also the fact that many of the people who saw it were fans of the show (I'm assuming that includes you). It's easier to care when the main characters and surrounding environement were compelling before the movie started. I just find it hard to look at it with a lot of objectivity, is all.

They may make a sequel, and I know who I want the villain to be: Adelei Niska. The movie will have to have a lot of humor in it to keep everything from being too dark and morbid, since Niska would no doubt torture one or more members of the crew yet again.

I'd like it if other minor characters in 'Firefly' showed up again in movies, too, like Badger and Saffron.

Did you know that the part of Badger was originally meant to be played by Joss Whedon? Man, am I ever glad that didn't come to pass. That wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it is with Mark Sheppard.

Herr Logan said:
True. There's also the fact that many of the people who saw it were fans of the show (I'm assuming that includes you). It's easier to care when the main characters and surrounding environement were compelling before the movie started. I just find it hard to look at it with a lot of objectivity, is all.

They may make a sequel, and I know who I want the villain to be: Adelei Niska. The movie will have to have a lot of humor in it to keep everything from being too dark and morbid, since Niska would no doubt torture one or more members of the crew yet again.

I'd like it if other minor characters in 'Firefly' showed up again in movies, too, like Badger and Saffron.

Did you know that the part of Badger was originally meant to be played by Joss Whedon? Man, am I ever glad that didn't come to pass. That wouldn't have been anywhere near as good as it is with Mark Sheppard.

Yup I was partial, but it never ceases to amaze me when I get a surprise like that. I went into the movie thinking he would go for the bigger than life action super flick, to try to capture the mainstream audience. so I never guessed the movie would have that much heart.

Niska is the obvious choice for the next villlian. gives the story a chance to show more personal angst. But what surrounds this little private war between Mal and Niska? That would be the good part, can Joss bring in an element to make this interesting to anyone, not just fans.

Haven't seen Joss act (lol), but I can't even begin to imagine Badger being anyone other than Mark Sheppard... he owns it.

Herr Logan said:
Well, considering what the Hands of Blue did to several Alliance officers just because they talked to Simon (and therefore possibly River) in 'Ariel', thereby risking the potential for an information leak, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they didn't let Operatives retire and live. They certainly wouldn't want the Operative from 'Serenity' to live, considering he not only failed but aided and abetted the enemy. That's a guy who won't be using his original name again any time soon.

Well, since he was able to get into an Alliance hospital in "safe", I'd assume that he was still on relatively good terms with the Alliance.

Angry Sentinel said:
Yup I was partial, but it never ceases to amaze me when I get a surprise like that. I went into the movie thinking he would go for the bigger than life action super flick, to try to capture the mainstream audience. so I never guessed the movie would have that much heart.

Niska is the obvious choice for the next villlian. gives the story a chance to show more personal angst. But what surrounds this little private war between Mal and Niska? That would be the good part, can Joss bring in an element to make this interesting to anyone, not just fans.

Haven't seen Joss act (lol), but I can't even begin to imagine Badger being anyone other than Mark Sheppard... he owns it.

What surrounds the private war between Niska and Mal? The fact that Mal not only failed to carry out the job but killed his number one thug, Crow, and when Niska was making good on his standing policy of torturing such people to death, Mal got rescued before more than a day of torture had passed. That's what. Niska having Mal captured is just business as usual; Mal didn't even need to kill Crow to earn Niska's ire, but Niska didn't bargain on a top-rate soldier, a ruthless mercenary, a dead-shot preacher and a psychic genius coming to his rescue. I'll bet he's got better protection if they ever cross paths again, and I would hope that Mal will be smart enough never to go anywhere near the planet in whose orbit Niska's skyplex rests.

Mark Sheppard definitely owns that part. All the principal cast own their parts. Michael Fairman owns the role of Niska; I just love his kindly, grandfatherly image that conceals the meanest soul in the 'verse this side of a Reaver. I loved his first scene, where he's babbling about reputation and the fact that in response to Mal deflecting Niska's observation that the captain wasn't happy with seeing a hanging corpse that was tortured to death he said, "My wife's nephew. At dinner I am getting earful; there's no way out of that." Brilliant!

The Question said:
Well, since he was able to get into an Alliance hospital in "safe", I'd assume that he was still on relatively good terms with the Alliance.

That's true. As I said before, there's at least one glaring discrepency in continuity from the show to the movie, but this could actually gel with what was on the show.

The other big controversy is the differences between the revelations in 'Serenity' and what Mal inexplicably was able to divulge about Reavers in 'Bushwacked'. I suppose Reavers could "reproduce" through violating and slaughtering large groups of people while making one survivor watch, even though they were originally created through exposure to that "Pax" chemical on Miranda.

Well, as I posted earlyer, I had an idea for a villain in the series. Obviously, it would probably never happen, but It would be cool to have that villain, or a character like him, organizing a plan to destroy the crew, involving Niska and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"