Firewall problem

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
When i booted up this morning I got a warning from Windows that my firewall was off, I went into my control panel and tried to switch it on, first by the general option which told me to try the tab, which also wasn't possible b/c I can't tick the box.

2jbl2l0.jpg

Any ideas ?

Have you installed a new program like Symantec or something else lately?

Yeah, what kind of software have you installed recently?

Typically they install their own firewall...and turn this one off.

Ive not installed anything new recently, any ideas how I can get my windows firewall back on ? I'm kinda nervous about it being off.

My first thought would be just to see if you can do a rollback to a few days ago, since you didn't install anything.

Also, what version of Windows are you running?

I'm running XP, same one Ive had for years.

If I do a reset of a few days would I lose the Scrubs eps ?

No, rollbacks only undo stuff like software. Now, if you moved them from Folder A to Folder B between the time you choose to rollback and now, then it might be in Folder A again, but that's slim.

Is there anywhere I can check first to see what is stopping me activating the Woindows firewall ?

I'm sure there is, but considering I have yet to sleep [damn insomnia], I couldn't out right tell you the best way to do this without taking a metaphorical hammer to it.

Heh, that's cool, do you think I'm safe to leave it as it is while you gather some zeds ?

I just thought of something, I got a new modem from my service provider about a week ago which set me up with their new system, could that have effected it ? or would it have taken effect immediately ?

A new modem? you mean one that actually goes over a phone line?
NOT DSL or Cable modems?

A new modem? you mean one that actually goes over a phone line?
NOT DSL or Cable modems?

No it's a stand alone modem that comes through my cable provider, before my net came through my cable set top box, they decided to separate the two as they were upping my speed.

Ok so I just installed Zone Alarm firewall as I was told it's better than windows, what do you guys think ?

ZoneAlarm is ok...but its much more annoying than the Windows Firewall.
Its "chatty" until you finally get it configured the way you want it, which may take a few weeks of using your computer.

Yeah I'm getting a lot of Allow/Deny pop ups, any other suggestions ?

Mal is probably better than I am for this. I "cheat".

I would check to my add/remove area, to see if something has added itself to your computer as in scare ware, etc.....that happened to me, and I had some crap on my computer and I had no clue it was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"