Matthew Vaughn In Talks To Direct "Flash Gordon"

Urich Leeds

Hype Drifter
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/matthew-vaughn-talks-direct-flash-788921

Matthew Vaughn, savior of the universe?

Vaughn, basking in the success of his surprise hit Kingsman: The Secret Service, is in negotiations to direct*Flash Gordon, a movie based on the classic comic strip character that is set up at Twentieth Century Fox.

The studio picked up the project almost a year ago, with John Davis*and*King Features producing. Davis spent more than a year acquiring the rights from the Hearst Corporation.

Gordon is the adventurer first created in 1934 by iconic artistAlex Raymond. The hero, along with the lovely Dale Arden and mad scientist Hans Zasrkov, ends up on the planet Mongo fighting its tyrannical ruler, Ming the Merciless.

The strip was a major influence on pop culture, spawning three Buster Crabbe*serials and, of course, the cheesy 1980 movie best known for its soundtrack by Queen. One of the character's lasting effects was in shaping the mind of a young George Lucas, who paid homage to the*Gordon*serials with*Star Wars.

J.D. Payne*and*Patrick McKay (Star Trek 3) wrote the script, working off a treatment by Nolfi.

Vaughn, who’s always shown an affinity for geek-friendly material with his poppy comic book movies*Kick-Ass*and*X-Men: First Class, became highly sought by numerous studios after*Kingsman. The movie, based on a*Mark Millar-written comic, was released in February and has grossed more than $392 million worldwide on a reported budget of $81 million.

He is repped by WME, Brillstein Entertainment and Ziffren Brittenham.

I'm so excited I can't think straight.

I don't know much about Captain Marvel but I love Matthew Vaughn, so color me interested.

Awesome news! Let's hope they use the Queen song again.

I don't know much about Captain Marvel but I love Matthew Vaughn, so color me interested.
What's the relevance to Captain Marvel here?

And a Matthew Vaughn Flash Gordon movie sounds like a blast to me. :up:

What's the relevance to Captain Marvel here?

And a Matthew Vaughn Flash Gordon movie sounds like a blast to me. :up:

Whoops...
Haven't been sleeping much lately, it's starting to catch up with me.

Whoops...
Haven't been sleeping much lately, it's starting to catch up with me.
LOL, ok just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. And I can definitely relate on the sleep thing.

What a waste. Vaughn can have his pick of projects and chooses this one. I saw Flash Gordon recently and the movie did nothing for me.

PERFECT choice of director. Airwings approves.

Now we only need William Mosely in the lead!

If you prefer a more bankable actor, go with Zac Efron.

What a waste. Vaughn can have his pick of projects and chooses this one. I saw Flash Gordon recently and the movie did nothing for me.
Maybe the new version will work then

Mark Protosevich hired to rewrite Matthew Vaughn's 'Flash Gordon' for Fox
What makes Mark the right guy to write this script?
DREW MCWEENY said:
On his Facebook page today, screenwriter Mark Protosevich announced that he's writing Flash Gordon for 20th Century Fox, with Matthew Vaughn attached to direct. That is just plain great news. Protosevich has been first guy in on any number of intriguing geek properties over the years, and he wrote a draft of John Carter Of Mars that was one of the best action/fantasy scripts I've ever read.

Vaughn and Protosevich have been in each other's orbit before this, but I'm not sure to what extent. Protosevich did a pretty great job with an early pass at Thor, and there was a point where Vaughn and his co-writer/creative partner Jane Goldman were almost on Thor, and I'm curious if it was the Protosevich that got them interested in the first place.
"I can't wait to get started and if you're curious about the take? I'm not saying a word. All I'll say is this - it will be nothing like any version of Flash Gordon you've seen."
That's what Protosevich had to say about it before going silent again, and I'm thrilled for him and for Vaughn. Vaughn came onboard last year, when the script was still credited to J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. Now it appears they're bringing in a new writer and they're hopefully picking up steam. I'd really like to see this film, because it's up to Matthew to create a brand-new version of something that has been iconically defined several times.

Awesome news! Let's hope they use the Queen song again.

Ha! You and I are aligned. "FLASH! AHHHAAHHHHH! He'll save everyone of us!"

I'd be for it. Why not? Flash inspired Star Wars. People might poopoo on it, but whatev. I feel a pulp approach my hurt it, like John Carter of Mars, but I'd personally like it. Seriousness with Flash Gordon? Hrm. Can it be done?

Ha! You and I are aligned. "FLASH! AHHHAAHHHHH! He'll save everyone of us!"

I'd be for it. Why not? Flash inspired Star Wars. People might poopoo on it, but whatev. I feel a pulp approach my hurt it, like John Carter of Mars, but I'd personally like it. Seriousness with Flash Gordon? Hrm. Can it be done?

Hell yeah, although they'd need to update it, so a newer version by someone with Queen's stature in today's world. Not sure if they should keep the entire score, but definitely the iconic main theme.

I mean, if anyone could do FG and make it fun, it would be Vaughn - Kingsman is proof that he can make a Bond parody that's more entertaining than a Bond film itself.

Hell yeah, although they'd need to update it, so a newer version by someone with Queen's stature in today's world. Not sure if they should keep the entire score, but definitely the iconic main theme.

I mean, if anyone could do FG and make it fun, it would be Vaughn - Kingsman is proof that he can make a Bond parody that's more entertaining than a Bond film itself.
Lady Gaga? Adele?

It doesn't have to be a band.

And I would have to add that Stardust would be an better example, because it's a fantasy

Lady Gaga? Adele?

It doesn't have to be a band.

And I would have to add that Stardust would be an better example, because it's a fantasy

An example of what dude, you kind of lost me there?

Flash Gordon is kind of a superhero type story (well sort of) and Vaughn has done superb work with Kick Ass (kind of an anti-superhero movie) and X-Men First Class, which manages to be tremendous fun, but also tragic at the same time. So Vaughn could definitely pull it off, I brought up Kingsman because it's his most recent work, and was one of the great surprises of 2015.

As for the theme, that's a good point, it doesn't have to be a band. And really, I don't think any of today's newer bands have the kind of talent and flair that Queen do - yeah, I'm one of those "They don't make 'em like they used to... today's music sounds all the same..blah blah blah." guys.

Adele is a great performer but you need someone with Freddie Mercury and Brian May's talents to arrange as well as perform. Maybe Bono and the Edge could do it ? Who knows ?

I'm still in the boat of I will believe the film will happen when I see it. Even then, I'm not sure if even Matthew Vaughn can pull it off.

So what will Vaughn do first? Kingsman 2 or this?

I'm still in the boat of I will believe the film will happen when I see it. Even then, I'm not sure if even Matthew Vaughn can pull it off.

So what will Vaughn do first? Kingsman 2 or this?

Kingsman 2 is more likely since it has a release date with shooting to begin in 3 months.

An example of what dude, you kind of lost me there?

Flash Gordon is kind of a superhero type story (well sort of) and Vaughn has done superb work with Kick Ass (kind of an anti-superhero movie) and X-Men First Class, which manages to be tremendous fun, but also tragic at the same time. So Vaughn could definitely pull it off, I brought up Kingsman because it's his most recent work, and was one of the great surprises of 2015.

As for the theme, that's a good point, it doesn't have to be a band. And really, I don't think any of today's newer bands have the kind of talent and flair that Queen do - yeah, I'm one of those "They don't make 'em like they used to... today's music sounds all the same..blah blah blah." guys.

Adele is a great performer but you need someone with Freddie Mercury and Brian May's talents to arrange as well as perform. Maybe Bono and the Edge could do it ? Who knows ?
Comparing First Class, Kingsman and Stardust, the latter is the closest to Flash Gordon in the level of escapism and imagination. Can't you see it yourself?

Maybe U2 can write and perform a theme song. But they aren't as flashy/extravagant as Queen was. Not what I know, anyway.
Lady Gaga is a very visual artist.

What about Elton John? He's a good composer!

I don't think this movie will be a success, they should avoid it. It will end up going the way of Green Hornet or the Lone Ranger. Bet on it

I don't think this movie will be a success, they should avoid it. It will end up going the way of Green Hornet or the Lone Ranger. Bet on it

Don't know if you can write it off like that. Guardians of the Galaxy proves there's an audience out there for sci-fi opera outside of Star Wars. Sherlock Holmes proves you can re-invent a dead property with the right crew/cast.

This has as much chance of being a success than anything else being resurrected right now.

Matthew Vaughn is the cherry on top.

If Vaughn doesn't want to do it anymore I reckon Patty Jenkins could do it perfectly. After seeing Wonder Woman and hearing her inspirational quotes I reckon she's the one who can take things considered cheesy and make them work.

The tricky part if finding the right choice of composer. I think that's what made the 1980 one work. It's an unpopular choice to find a new one though. I actually think David guetta is different and modern enough to pull it off plus I think it would make the movie a lot more interesting

While I loathed WW, its tone may be what's needed to make Flash Gordon work.
Today FG may come off as silly, playing it simplistic and naive like a product of his past era is the way to go.

Last edited:
This could be interesting, if done right.

Does anyone think the 80s Flash Gordon is worth watching? It's supposed to be corny, isn't it? I saw a trailer and it looked fun.

Does anyone think the 80s Flash Gordon is worth watching? It's supposed to be corny, isn't it? I saw a trailer and it looked fun.
It's really corny, and outrageously camp, but fun.
Plot is pretty straight forward, acting is..., well it fits the tone.

Trailer and theme is pretty genuine to the spirit of what you'll get.
[YT]OROLRvKamdE[/YT]

This is their take on an epic battle scene and the extent of the FX, if that looks enjoyable to you defiantly watch it, it's fun, if it looks ridiculous it's cause it is!
[YT]Y6B9nkrSuMI[/YT]

I honestly hope any new version goes in a different direction. ...at least not as campy.

Last edited:
I honestly hope any new version goes in a different direction.
That somewhat runs counter to what Mathew Vaughn excels at alongside the self-referential gags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"