Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCEEVIPER

Rubber bullets. Honest
Reaction score
Movie Version Of Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns In The Works!
Submitted by Brendon Connelly on April 14, 2011 – 2:54 pm

It’s going to get rather crowded out there, with alternative Batmen cropping up left, right and centre. We’ll barely be over Christian Bale* when a reboot will see another lucky young man dropped into the role, and there are plans for another, different Bats to appear in a Justice League feature. Add to this the various animated Batmen, from Kevin Conroy, Diedrich Bader and Bruce Greenwood.

Too much Batman? Or never enough?

Well, I think there’s always going to be room for The Dark Knight Returns, don’t you?

Bleeding Cool have heard from multiple sources (enough with the multiples already) that work is underway on a movie adaptation of Frank Miller and Klaus Janson‘s classic The Dark Knight Returns. As you might have guessed, however, this is to be an animated adaptation, much like the recent All Star Superman or in-the-works Year One.

Fittingly, Year One will come along first, but DKR is already in the early stages of development. According to our sources, several veterans of Batman toons past will be on the crew list, though we’re still trying to confirm who is writing and directing the film.

It would be sheer guesswork to try and determine when this might make it to the screen, but it isn’t going to be anytime soon. Here’s hoping they do it right.
I just messed my pants! :woot:

Really can't think of anything I'd be okay with being cut out, but the all Two-Face stuff and a hefty chunk of Gordon's story will probably be.

Really can't think of anything I'd be okay with being cut out,
Agreed.

Bruce Timm has been hinting at a R rated animated film to direct for a while now.

At the 4:20 mark
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccEsZq3c1gM[/YT]

Hopefully TDKR is it.

The only things that can be cut out (where it works) is the General who kills himself, and removing the SOBs so that they become his sons at the end of the tale.

Agreed.

Bruce Timm has been hinting at a R rated animated film to direct for a while now.

At the 4:20 mark
[YT]ccEsZq3c1gM[/YT]

Hopefully TDKR is it.

I couldn't see the video. So fixed it.

But if true. Interesting. Probably the best way to go with this is an R rated animated movie

Great news. I've always held the belief that the best way to do DKR is as an animated feature, preferably as an HBO miniseries. I'm not entirely sure if it would have to be R-rated, but it probably would be. I can't wait to hear more about this. :up:

Cool! Looks like Nolan's Batman movies really pumped more confidence into the Batman franchise

Frankly I am not all that excited about it. If I want an animated version I'll go straight to the source. Make it live action or nada, please. :cwink:

What if they eventually make animated movies out of the rest of the millerverse?
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
All-Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder

Oddly enough I was just watching this BTAS episode "Legends of the Dark Knight" that featuers the small segment based on TDKR.
Personally, I would prefer an adaptation of The Long Halloween / Dark Victory saga; but either way, seems we will get Year One and then TDKR, so that is awesome.

I feel iffy about this. Getting Dark Knight Returns right is just as tricky as Watchmen. More than any Batman story I've ever read, DKR has a lot of subtext, weight, and a very specific tone and style- none of which I associate with the DC animated direct-to-video releases. None of them have been "bad," but DKR is higher caliber than anything they've adapted, imo.

I feel iffy about this. Getting Dark Knight Returns right is just as tricky as Watchmen. More than any Batman story I've ever read, DKR has a lot of subtext, weight, and a very specific tone and style- none of which I associate with the DC animated direct-to-video releases. None of them have been "bad," but DKR is higher caliber than anything they've adapted, imo.
True, but I have confidence in Bruce Timm. And if it is rated R they wouldn't have to neuter it in any way.

Yes, agree on Ironside for Batman. It'll be interesting to see how they will pull this one off, I'm both excited and anxious on the final result.

You think this is a way for WB to test the waters with this material to see if there is enough interest to make a live action theatrical adaption of TDKR?

You think this is a way for WB to test the waters with this material to see if there is enough interest to make a live action theatrical adaption of TDKR?
I doubt it, they're making it animated because then they don't have to waste more money on it as a live action.

Sooooooo...

Kevin Conroy, Michael Ironside or Michael Keaton as Batman?

anime.gif

-----

Well i'm excited by this news. I like this story... but i don't hold it in quite as high esteem as others seem to do.

Plus it should be a better tie-in DVD to The Dark Knight Rises potentially.

Michael Ironside or Ron Perlman would make a great choice for Batman. Cast Frank Miller as the self righteous *****é who in the riot was only looking for his own protection and whines about Batman and cast Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as the 2 Mutants with their names on their shirts, epic casting i know. ;)

Michael Ironside or Ron Perlman would make a great choice for Batman. Cast Frank Miller as the self righteous *****é who in the riot was only looking for his own protection and whines about Batman and cast Bruce Timm and Paul Dini as the 2 Mutants with their names on their shirts, epic casting i know. ;)

Nah... he was actually terrible in the video game Justice League: Heroes.

Hope they cast Michael Keaton as Batman. It would make me really excited to see this movie done in animation.

Nah... he was actually terrible in the video game Justice League: Heroes.

I liked the approach he had there, eitherway we'll have Andrea Romano coach whoever is doing the voice into getting the Miller Batman right.

Ironside, Stallone or Roarke.

And its not worth making if you cut **** out, just make it 4 hours long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"