A snowed in Montreal in 1881.

EdxoHXW.jpg

Adolf Hitler as a baby, 1881.

UjeyXgh.jpg

Einstien at the age of 3, 1882.

pgiXMnF.jpg

Tombstone, Arizona, 1881.

yGMs48V.jpg

Melbourne Postmen riding their Penny Farthings with training wheels, Australia, 1882.

S2HxCiU.jpg

A woman rides Oldreive's "New Iron Horse" tricycle, 1882.

mgpGgXT.jpg

unction of Nassau Street & Grafton Street, Dublin, Ireland, 1883.

Z2ft6i5.png

A bare chested Samuel Clemens, AKA Mark Twain, 1883.

eZUFhN1.jpg

The first international match at Wimbledon, 1883.

a85uFaR.jpg

Said to have been the last full-rigged ship built in Massachusetts, the Mary L. Cushing was launched in Newburyport in 1883 by George E. Currier. Registered to Pendleton, Carver & Nichols of Searsport in 1895, and eventually sold into the salmon trade.

bFaguBx.jpg

Last edited:
Behind the scenes pictures from Hollywood hits.

Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel take a break from filming to sign autographs for some young fans on the set of Pack Up Your Troubles in 1932.

hwcuHZt.jpg

Director Mel Stuart having a moment with Gene Wilder and Peter Ostrum prior to filming a scene in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory in 1971.

qhJAA6S.jpg

Marlon Brando getting his makeup applied while director Francis Ford Coppola laughs in the background before filming a scene in The Godfather in 1972.

nZ6Skm9.jpg

John Cleese and Graham Chapman take a break between filming scenes of Monty Python and the Holy Grail in 1975.

5M1H9o9.jpg

Cindy Girling, Kristine DeBell, Bill Murray, Sarah Torgov, Margot Pinvidic and Norma Dell’Agnese on the set of Meatballs in 1979.

MKkNa0S.jpg

Ricardo Montalban reacting to a prank right before a scene during filming of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in 1982.

OFAaGfM.jpg

Tony O’Dell, Chad McQueen, Pat Morita, Rob Garrison, Ron Thomas and William Zabka eating ice cream on the set of The Karate Kid in 1984.

EIRCNfe.jpg

Rick Moranis preparing for his scene in Ghostbusters in 1984.

70bJ74l.jpg

Director Jim Henson showing David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly how he wants them to look for a scene in Labyrinth in 1986.

BME5fUY.jpg

Robert Englund messing around with his prosthetic makeup for A Nightmare on Elm Street in 1984.

zUeqSXG.jpg

More behind the scenes pictures from Hollywood hits.

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Paul Verhoeven have a laugh while filming Total Recall in 1990.

AzhsbJ6.jpg

Some of the cast members of 'A League of Their Own,' including Madonna and Tom Hanks, answer questions about the film between scenes in 1991.

7aDUK35.jpg

Winona Ryder and Francis Ford Coppola have a moment while filming Bram Stoker's Dracula in 1992.

sg6EAnR.jpg

Jackie Chan takes a picture with Sylvester Stallone when Chan showed up on the set of Demolition Man in 1993.

KvYaC6A.jpg

Quentin Tarantino (center) dancing along with John Travolta and Uma Thurman during a scene in Pulp Fiction in 1994.

96fLmZT.jpg

Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon goofing off in zero gravity in preparation for their film Apollo 13 in 1995.

SgRoczo.jpg

Wes Craven showing Drew Barrymore how he wants her to handle a scene much to her delight for the film Scream in 1996.

ct4Chpz.jpg

Paul Verhoeven telling Denise Richards what he wants prior to filming a scene in Starship Troopers in 1997.

IZ06LLv.jpg

Uh, just to clarify...that's baby Hitler.

And... You are 100% correct it. In my defense I found it on Imgur listed as a picture of a baby Albert Einstein from 1881. My guess would be someone was having fun uploading it there under the name of the great Jewish scientist. The comment chain attached indicated when I found it that none were wiser in the Imgur community. Looking into it this particular picture of the Nazi leader was one sent to an American newspaper when Hitler learned a doctored photo, essentially a picture of a crying baby with it's face scrunched up looking cranky was used in some article on the German leader in 1938. Hitler sent them a picture of a serene portrait of himself as a wee babe to counteract ehat he viewed as the slight of showing a fake picture of him as a cranky child.

Good eye Drizzle. I actually usually catch these things and try to vet the images as best as I can. As I stated the comment chain with this picture seemed to indicate that on Imgur most were fooled by the attached caption of it being Einstein. There is but one "hidden" comment that said it was Hitler but I brushed it off as THAT being a joke. I will be editing the original post here to reflect the real information.

And... You are 100% correct it. In my defense I found it on Imgur listed as a picture of a baby Albert Einstein from 1881. My guess would be someone was having fun uploading it there under the name of the great Jewish scientist. The comment chain attached indicated when I found it that none were wiser in the Imgur community. Looking into it this particular picture of the Nazi leader was one sent to an American newspaper when Hitler learned a doctored photo, essentially a picture of a crying baby with it's face scrunched up looking cranky was used in some article on the German leader in 1938. Hitler sent them a picture of a serene portrait of himself as a wee babe to counteract ehat he viewed as the slight of showing a fake picture of him as a cranky child.

Good eye Drizzle. I actually usually catch these things and try to vet the images as best as I can. As I stated the comment chain with this picture seemed to indicate that on Imgur most were fooled by the attached caption of it being Einstein. There is but one "hidden" comment that said it was Hitler but I brushed it off as THAT being a joke. I will be editing the original post here to reflect the real information.

Yeah, I instantly recognized it because I remember Ricky Gervais tweeting about it, which he discussed on Late Night with Seth Myers.

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/818513025753870336

Yeah, I instantly recognized it because I remember Ricky Gervais tweeting about it, which he discussed on Late Night with Seth Myers.

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/818513025753870336

To further flesh out this story here's a piece written by a family member of the baby used in the fake Hitler baby picture that prompted the Nazi dictator to send a real toddler photo of himself to American newspapers:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hitler-baby-photo-fake.amp?espv=1

Swedish Major Erik Bonde smokes a cigarette after being ambushed and shot twice. Congo, Jan 15th 1961

CU2SuVw.png

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill at in the uniform of the Fourth Queen’s Own Hussars, 1895.

UHieFWq.jpg

The legendary wrestler George Hackenschmidt, circa 1895, whose real matches with Frank Gotch were the legitimate sport spectacles of their day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hackenschmidt

G2T9r5D.jpg

Painter Paul Gauguin playing a harmonium at the Paris studio of Alphonse Mucha, a Czech Art Nouveau painter, 1895.

k6sZIqP.jpg

North Dakota Cyclone 1895.

Skudkah.jpg

The river Thames frozen in 1895.

bXrQgKZ.jpg

Queen Victoria, her collie dog Noble, and the Munshi, Abdul Karim. Taken in the Garden Cottage at Balmoral, 1894 or 1895, colorized.

lX9uVTV.jpg

Parade held for the visiting German emperor Wilhelm II in 1895 in Stockholm, Sweden.

8T4MEoJ.jpg

View west on Lake Street from Wabash shows construction of the first leg of the Loop Elevated, Chicago, 1895.

J66P6qT.jpg

1895 Iowa State Football team.

OzQLOR0.jpg

I always try to put in "serious mustache work". That's not something you wanna half ass Retro.

The Opening Ceremony of the first Modern Olympics in Athens, Greece. - 6th April, 1896.

1MxQ7f3.jpg

The first U.S. Olympic Team in 1896.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_at_the_1896_Summer_Olympics

xoXHN.jpg

Carl Akeley posing with the leopard he had to kill with his bare hands after it attacked him and he had already shot it twice to little effect in 1896 near Mount Kenya.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/80239/time-carl-akeley-killed-leopard-his-bare-hands

bcGdx5K.jpg

Henry Ford aboard his first gasoline powered automobile known as the Quadricycle in 1896. This creation would lead to the founding of the Henry Ford Company and eventually the Ford Motor Company after some disputes between him and William Murphy and Lemuel Bowen. From then on, the rest is history.

ToACJM3.jpg

Sailors about the U.S.S. New York, 1896.

GmpLcwY.jpg

District Line Platform at Victoria Underground Station, London, 23rd November 1896.

w6vxB59.jpg

Front of Cannon Street Railway Station, London 1896.

qz5jJhv.jpg

Covered Wagon Race - Winfield, Ks - c. 1896.

eOgGGgQ.jpg

Portrait of the 1896 Hawkeye football team, featuring Frank Kinney Holbrook (first row, far right), the university's first African-American football player.

gqAu4Pk.jpg

Behind the scenes of famous films.

Ricou Browning, the actor who played "The Gilman" jokes around with his co-star Julie Adams on the set of Creature From The Black Lagoon, 1954.

nVMQ2Ky.jpg

Grace Kelly and Jimmy Stewart on set of Rear Window, 1954.

mtLoYJZ.jpg

David Hedison in costume and his co-star Patricia Owens on the set of The Fly, 1958.

j9GQMu3.jpg

Laurence Olivier, Tony Curtis and Peter Ustinov having a smoke break on the set of Spartacus, 1960.

qOkcsqr.jpg

Akira Kurosawa and actor Eijir? T?no on the set of Yojimbo, 1961.

YVvdb69.jpg

Stanley Kubrick, on the set of Lolita, 1962.

3FKNy46.jpg

Paul Newman photographed by Gene Lesser on the set of Cool Hand Luke, 1967.

DSLGw5k.jpg

Robert Redford and Paul Newman on the set of ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’, 1969.

6YUBDBT.jpg

Capt. Jim Lovell and David Bowie on the set of The Man Who Fell To Earth, 1975.

ayyuSQn.jpg

Ridley Scott with Harrison Ford on the set of Blade Runner, 1982.

ZKm4EQl.jpg

Louis-Victor Baillot, the last veteran of the battle of Waterloo in 1897.

rkW5ARH.jpg

Swedish scientist Salomon August Andrée's Örnen from his July 1897 North Pole expedition shortly after his hydrogen balloon's descent onto pack ice. Together with his two companions engineer Knut Frænkel and photographer Nils Strindberg. All three men died. This photo was recovered in 1930 from undeveloped film that was found with their bodies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_August_Andrée

69QM3vG.jpg

Female worker bottling ketchup at the original Heinz factory in Pittsburgh, PA, c.1897

dnCqnEp.jpg

Members of a British Indian contingent comprised of 21 Sikh soldiers of the 36th Sikhs (now the 4th battalion of the Sikh Regiment), who were stationed at an army post and were attacked by around 10,000 Afghans. The Sikhs, led by Havildar Ishar Singh, chose to fight to the death, in what is considered by some military historians as one of history's greatest last-stands.[9] The post was recaptured two days later by another British Indian contingent. The date was September 12, 1897.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi

xecRkoK.jpg

Photograph of British artillery of the Punjab Army Corps firing at Afridi tribesmen during the Tirah Campaign in British India, c. 1897.

1WUz1wm.png

A fish market in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, 1897.

8NrFqpg.jpg

A mob posing with an African American man named Robert Henson Hilliard before he was burned to death by them in Tyler, Texas, 1897. Hilliard had been accused of of raping and murdering a white woman. There was no trial and the only "evidence" was a supposed confession. Accounts say he was still conscious as his lower extremities were burning.

tYj0EqW.jpg

Fulton's Ice Cream Parlor, Austin, TX 1897.

1bHir5F.jpg

Hermann Göring sits in the dock at the Nuremberg Trial, 1946.

GtLv87G.jpg

Banana Docks, New York. Ca 1890 – 1910.

Ef53l1u.jpg

Lewis Powell. He was a conspirator with John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated president Abraham Lincoln

jiFH0tA.jpg

Captain Thomas H. Garahan, ‘Easy’ Company, 2nd Battalion, 398th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division raises the ‘Stars and Stripes’ flag made secretly by a local French girl.

tBm25o6.jpg

1st Royal Ulster Rifles, 6th Airborne Division (UK) sniper, on patrol in the Ardennes, wearing a snow camouflage suit. 14 January 1945.

Meoh9pJ.jpg

Angoni warriors at King George V’s coronation celebrations, Zomba, 1911.

OIk2Gu1.jpg

Men of The 72 Highlanders who served in the Crimea: William Noble, Alexander Davison and John Harper, 1853 – 1856

XEyrunB.jpg

One of the multiple directors of The Wizard Of Oz talks to stars Ray Bolger and Judy Garland, 1939.

MEDE320.jpg

Natalie Wood and James Dean fooling around behind the scenes of Rebel Without A Cause, 1955.

ClVHqQS.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock and Anthony Perkins pose for a somewhat disturbing photo on the set of Psycho, 1960.

WKwDNzW.jpg

Jeff Bridges plays with a prop during a break shooting Tron, 1982.

DuQCW6z.jpg

Director Ivan Reitman with stars Sigourney Weaver and Billy Murray in the aftermath of the final scenes of Ghostbusters, 1984.

UWNRZLk.jpg

Mathew Broderick, Alan Ruck and crew toast Mia Sara before she gets a pie in the face during the filming of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, 1986.

KVLdScc.png

Director John McTiernan gives some instruction to Alan Rickman as Bruce Willis looks on preparing to shoot an important scene in Die Hard, 1988.

bNWko2h.png

A look at the surprising amount of crew it took to shoot Mary's futuristic sneakers with Michael J. Fox along for the ride, Back To The Future II, 1989.

WQEOxUx.png

Director Jonathon Demme straps in Sir Anthony Hopkins in preparation for one of his most iconic moments in Silence Of The Lambs, 1991.

etqaBix.png

A somber looking Mike Myers drinks some tea as Dana Carvy gets his make up re-touched on the set of Wayne's World, 1992.

lzQvcVg.jpg

Interior of a London Pub, 1898.

zjOVHAQ.jpg

Leopold de Rothschild and his zebra carriage, London, 1898.

97V6z2G.jpg

Duluth, Minnesota in 1898.

Zm9r1SP.jpg

German Emperor, Kaiser Wilhelm II visits Ottoman Palestine in 1898.

e2qO4KA.jpg

Alexander Graham Bell and his wife Mabel hold hands at the water’s edge in Nova Scotia in 1898.

KHimIfs.jpg

Workers in the London underground 1898.

9mCqonn.jpg

The First Regiment of Colorado Infantry marches along 16th Street before deploying to the Spanish-American War in 1898.

KgNHJQs.png

USS Massachusetts on the way home from the Spanish-American War, 1898.

NSLEKjq.jpg

Time's Square in NYC, 1898.

RJZYy7L.jpg

An ice cream merchant in then Constantinople, Turkey 1898.

13svWXg.jpg

WORLD'S FIRST (surviving) PHOTOGRAPH
Centuries of advances in chemistry and optics, including the invention of the camera obscura, set the stage for the world’s first photograph. In 1826, French scientist Joseph Nicéphore Niépce, took that photograph, titled View from the Window at Le Gras, at his family’s country home. Niépce produced his photo—a view of a courtyard and outbuildings seen from the house’s upstairs window—by exposing a bitumen-coated plate in a camera obscura for several hours on his windowsill.

The-Worlds-Oldest-Photograph.-Image-via-hrc.utexas.edu_-865x577.jpg

I wonder what sort of image could be produced if that were to be digitally scanned and enhanced with modern technology?

I don't think there is enough there to be enhanced, even if it was scanned at 8K resolution... :woot:

First colour photograph
Taken in 1861 by physicist James Clerk Maxwell and photographer Thomas Sutton

color-tartan-ribbon_1376_990x742.jpg

Apparently it is a tartan ribbon.

Edit...
However, it is not an actual colour photograph, rather it is a projected additive colour image. Three separate black and white photographs were taken through red green and blue filters, developed and subsequently projected through three magic lanterns using the same red, green and blue filters to give a colour image projected onto a screen.
The projected image is temporary but this set of three "colour separations" is considered the first durable colour photograph.

This method of colour imagery was demonstrated as part of a lecture on colour theory at the Royal Institution, London, 1861.

Last edited:
Damn, I'm from Chicago and this really makes me feel like I travelled.

That's the magic of these old pictures. You see just how much has changed through the passage of time but also how much hasn't. Thanks for taking an interest in the thread Scribe. Take time to explore the thread from page one. It's a wild ride through histort in my humble opinion. If you have anything you think you can contribute please share.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"