FXX's Simpsons World

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fxx-readies-simpsons-roll-sprawling-719983
FXX Readies 'Simpsons' Roll Out With Sprawling App, 12-Day Marathon
11:14 AM PDT 7/21/2014 by Michael O'Connell

The cable network's landmark deal to air the Fox cartoon's 25-season catalog kicks off in August before the elaborate streaming component comes into play in October.

The Simpsons won't be making a quiet entrance on FXX. After last year's landmark deal to get the off-network rights to air the Fox cartoon, and its 552-episode catalog, the cable network has invested in an elaborate online library for the series — tied in to its own streamer, FXNow.

"I think this is how people who love The Simpsons want to have it," FX Networks CEO John Landgraf told reporters at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Monday.

Joined by FX president of marketing and on-air promotions Stephanie Gibbons, FX also used the opportunity to walk through the catalog, affectionately dubbed Simpsons World after the book by Matt Groening.

"Our goal was to create the deepest digital archive of any show ever," said Gibbons, scrolling through the seemingly infinite ways to digest Simpsons episodes, clips, quotes and character profiles. The app will also allow users to chart their own progress, tallying which content has been consumed. "We're not trying to out-Facebook Facebook. This is just a personalized experience."

That experience is not for everyone. Simpsons World, like FXNow, requires cable subscription authentication. And FXNow is thus far only available to 60 percent of FX's subscriber base. RCN and Verizon are two notable exclusions, though FX COO and president of program strategy Chuck Saftler said he was optimistic about closing that gap within the year.

Looking back at the negotiations and the bid to acquire the 20th Century Fox TV property, Saftler also said the app proved paramount in landing the nearly $1 billion rights: "They [said it] would be open to our ask, as long as we didn't just load the episodes into generic on-demand folders."

Another yet-to-be-determined component is the early Simpsons content as it first aired on The Tracey Ullman Show. "We are very much working on that right now," added Saftler. "Matt has an open mind to that; he controls the rights to that. We're going in a very positive direction."

Simpsons World does not have an official launch date, though Landgraf was optimistic that it would happen in October. And in the meantime, FXX's rollout will get a big push on TV with promos and a massive 12-day marathon.

Each one of The Simpsons' 552 episodes and the 2007 feature film will air, in chronological order, in a 12-day marathon that starts Aug. 21 and runs 24 hours a day until Sept. 1.

Simpsons showrunner Al Jean, also on hand to discuss the partnership, seemed more than enthusiastic about the whole roll out.

"The great thing for me is that it doesn't tell you what to do," said Jean. "At least for me, there's no reason to do anything else but this app for 24 hours a day."
[YT]E03-Sq3gLjI[/YT]
I needs dat 90s Simpsons. I needs it baaaaaad.

This is cool, but when you own all the DVD sets you care to, it's not much news:woot: Although I think it's cool the great episodes will be getting some more airplay.

Speaking of the heyday, it seems Simpsons fans have wildly varying opinions on when the show "went downhill". Some uber purists I've come across think the show got worse after season 4. Season 4!? :huh:

Others say it went downhill after season 8, marking 8 as the first uneven season due to it hitting the height of it's madcap and zany tone. I personally consider one of my favorites. 6-8 are the cream of the crop imo. But 2-9 is about as perfect as TV gets imo. I guess I can kinda maybe see the "too zany" complaint....well no I actually can't. I don't get it at all. So there's that.

And others still don't think it really got bad until around the mid teens. I myself am one of those fans. I honestly think it remained perfect for the first 10 whole seasons. 10 showing just he slightest hint of wear and tear. It started getting stale from seasons 11-15 but they were still largely enjoyable. The first season I flat out disliked was 16 and I haven't seen much of anything past 18, to be honest.

Last edited:
That's a whole lot of Simpsons! But yeah, I have the boxsets too so, I'm not all that bothered. It's become like Friends. A show that's constantly repeated but you can't stop watching.

I never realized how different Homer's voice was in the early days.

It changed quite a bit. Just like Cartman on South Park.

I honestly didn't remember the bike bit with Lisa in the original opening.

That happens with virtually all voice actors over a long running show. Some more noticeably than others. Particularly Homer, Lisa, Moe, and Mr. Burns.

King of the Hill, South Park, Family Guy, etc all have it.

I would say the voices started normalizing around the late 2nd season.

Actually, Futurama might be an exception for the most part.

It's just so weird to hear Homer sound so different while Bart sounds virtually identical to how he sounds now.

That happens with virtually all voice actors over a long running show. Some more noticeably than others. Particularly Homer, Lisa, Moe, and Mr. Burns.

King of the Hill, South Park, Family Guy, etc all have it.

I would say the voices started normalizing around the late 2nd season.

Actually, Futurama might be an exception for the most part.
Yeah, it is far from uncommon. It is actually the norm.

I think the voice changes are less noticeable when the actor uses a voice that is more like their own.

Most of the Simpsons voice actors sound nothing like they do on the show in real life. Whereas Futurama, seems to be a lot closer.

Homer's voice actor changed his voice between Season 1 and 2 to make it easier for recording.

Homer's voice actor changed his voice between Season 1 and 2 to make it easier for recording.

For a second I though you said that his voice actor changed between S1 and 2, and I was about to "WTF?" all over this place and do an IMDB search. :funny:

Watching Krusty Gets Busted, it's kind of hilarious how inept the lawyers in Springfield are. They have a boatload of evidence in front of them, but need Bart and Lisa to actually point it out for them.

That's true, but the voice still noticeably changed even after that. Same for most of the characters. If you watch a lot of episodes focusing on a single character in a row (e.g. Moe) it's really noticeable.

True but season 1 Homer sounds like a completely different character. I think the only character's voice who hasn't changed at all is Lisa because that's pretty much Yeardley Smith's voice.

I actually have all 8 (good) seasons on DVD. I should do a marathon some time.

that's too many hours and days of D'OH! for me to take in one sitting... :oldrazz:

Ahhhh, to relive the olden days when this show was consistently great.

Really, while never great again, there were actually some decent (or at least funny) episodes as late as season 11. But damn did the show go down hill.

I'd say that it hilarious until season 10, consistently funny as late as 11, or 12, had some hilarious in season 13-15 (the 300th episode was hilarious), and then completely fell off after, but it depends on the person where The Simpsons truly fell off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"