G&M: Revival

Johnny Blaze

Freethinker
Reaction score
All right, with the discussion going on in the Concept thread, I'd figured I'd see just how much interest is there for the return of Gods & Men: The Ancient Myths Fantasy RPG.

One of the things I think that hurt support was the fact everyone was stuck in a solo arc. It was working well in the beginning, but, with the characters so wide-spread across Europe, being stuck in solo arcs seemed to drain the interest from some players.
Starting things off with a multi-PC arc, where the heroes can form their adventurer team and go right against a major threat, might help. It would open the door to immediate interaction with other PCs. And that should help promote both creativity and excitement.

I propose we pick things up where they left off as it leaves for the perfect lead-in for a gathering of heroes.

Charaun, the lich, had just acquired a powerful magical artifact and had begun his war against the realm. In an act of revenge, the lich sent a flight of dragons that razed Athens to the ground.
The once mighty City-State is now reduced to a pile of smoldering rubble, and it is only a matter of time before word of this atrocity spreads to the ears of goodly folk throughout all of Europe.

As such, the heroes could begin by traveling to Athens, or already be at the scene of the disaster, to try and discover what exactly it was that destroyed the once proud capital of learning and magic.

Also, for all of you that sign up I have exlusive video clips of MB being rather forward with a few goats. So think of signing up as subscribing to such entertainment you cannot find anywhere else.

I mean, isn't that the REAL reason anyone uses the internet? To look at messed up stuff?

I'm in. I've actually got some ideas I want to try with my next character, outside of generic hero's-journey Paladin. Though if I run out of ideas, he might show up again, too, because I rather wanted to see his story through.

I'm all for being either a theif or a vampire. Or a thief who encounters a deadly vampire clan. :up:

It's a fairly standard, D&D/myth-style sword and sorcery RPG.

GODS & MEN: THE ANCIENT MYTHS RPG

This RPG is a sword & sorcery fantasy setting set in the Earth of the past that combines elements of the D&D/fantasy genre with the stage being the ancient world.

Many of the well-known cultures of old, though separated through the years, are thrust together in this campaign setting that plays upon the sword & sorcery genre. The Celts in the British Isles, the Romans in Italy, the Viking/Norsemen in Scandinavia and the North, and the Egyptians in Northwest Africa. The ancient Greeks, the Persians, the myriad of cultures of Asia, Africa, and Arabia, even the lesser known peoples such as the Nubians.
All are placed in this world at once, with each group having a section carved out for them.

(Those familiar with the PC game series Civilization will see that this set up is in a similar vein)

Even with these old cultures thrown together there exist other major races different from man...

The short but hardy dwarves make their homes deep in the mountains of the world, carving out huge, elaborate kingdoms both inside and outside the mountains they mine. They tend to avoid most of the other races, but dwarves do travel the world trading their wares for many kinds of goods, and some renounce their hermit nature to become mercenaries and adventurers.
Many dwarven outposts have sprung up in cities around the world, from as far South as Cairo to as far East as Beijing...

The elves are an aloof race in tune with nature and make their home in many parts of Europe. The elves of the Norselands are home to both goodly elves and the evil, subterranean-dwelling dark elves, though the latter outnumbers their good natured kin in the region. Most elves stick to their woodland homes and stay away from man, but some communities ally with human kingdoms, and some elves curious of the world around them become explorers and adventurers.
Elven cities are even found in the British Isles, as well as the thick forests of Germany and Central Europe...

Halflings, no more taller than a child, are a generally good-hearted and fun-loving race who live throughout the land with no known kingdom of their own. Despite their size, they have proven to be ample adventurers and are highly skilled in the art of thievery. The latter seemingly getting them placed in precarious situations more often then not...

Orcs are a well known scourge to the lands as they are a race of barbarian savages who live for battle and conquest. Despite these short comings, some do possess the intelligence to become great leaders and cunning warriors. There are even a few who break free of their evil-hearted kin and choose to lead a decent life, though this is not only a rare happening, but it is also difficult to accomplish given their heritage which makes it extremely difficult to gain the trust of others...

Though these are just four of the major races that live alongside man on the planet, there are many others. For instance minotaurs in Crete, faeries in the British Isles, tribes of goblins throughout the lands, and giants in the Norselands.

This world is also home to a myriad of foul beasts and mythic creatures, from the wise and powerful sphinxes of Egypt, to the hydra and pegasi of Greece, to the mysterious and fearsome dragons found throughout the world.

Even demons inhabit this plane of existence, coming to the Material Plane to torment and tempt it's inhabitants. Though if defeated on the Material Plane, a demon is not killed but banished back to it's home dimension. Only on it's home plane can a demon truly be destroyed.
The demon's home plane is known throughout all the lands as the Nine Hells, a plane of existence made up of nine colossal layers, each ruled by a specific demon lord or dark god. Each layer may be different in appearance, but they all share a common trait: they are places of utter evil and suffering that no mortal should ever dare to go.

Despite these dangers throughout the world, there are great riches to be found. Many ancient treasures, artifacts, and relics from long forgotten civilizations, and ancient beings lay hidden in the deep places of the Earth just waiting to be discovered. Thus many travel the lands seeking fame and fortune to become the next great heroes of lore.

Most find death, or worse, but a rare few go on to become the stuff of legends...

Do you have what it takes?

I'd probably be interested.

Are all the characters player created?

Correct. There are no pre-existing characters in G&M. And as long as you're character isn't a carbon-copy of an already existing fictional character, you're good to go. :up:

Dammit to hell.

How's a guy supposed to reduce the number of characters he's playing if great RPG concepts keep popping up? :cmad:

Also, for all of you that sign up I have exlusive video clips of MB being rather forward with a few goats. So think of signing up as subscribing to such entertainment you cannot find anywhere else.

I mean, isn't that the REAL reason anyone uses the internet? To look at messed up stuff?

I thought you were trying to get people to join? :p

Correct. There are no pre-existing characters in G&M. And as long as you're character isn't a carbon-copy of an already existing fictional character, you're good to go. :up:

Sounds good.

Now post over in OU and I'll say I'm in.:woot:

Hmmm, Vikings from Scandinavia, you say?

I'd definitely be up for some sort of mage/warlock type deal.

Okay, time to do a tally.

Definitely on Board

Johnny Blaze
Trustyside-kick
Andy C
Master Bruce
Wiegeabo
SenseiofCheese
Byrd Man

Possibly Interested

Optikal
Carnage27
Catman_prb

If it can hit double digits, I'd say the game stands a chance and making it for a second go-around.

Last edited:
Well, that makes 3 possibles, and another definite in Byrd.

Switch me over to a definite. I'm more interested in this than Transformers.

I'm for it, time to bring The Docktore back.

I'm for it, time to bring The Docktore back.

178n7r.jpg

"What?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"