Game of Thrones forever: HBO developing 4 different spinoffs

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
Game of Thrones forever: HBO developing 4 different spinoffs

HBO is doubling down — no, quadrupling down — on its epic quest to replace Game of Thrones.

The pay TV network is determined to find a way to continue the most popular series in the company’s history and has taken the highly unusual step of developing four different ideas from different writers. The move represents a potentially massive expansion of the popular fantasy universe created by author George R.R. Martin. If greenlit, the eventual show or shows would also mark the first time in HBO’s history the brand has made a follow-up series to one of its hits.

Forever and ever game of thrones...

It doesn't mean there will be 4 Game of Thrones spin-offs of course.

In all likelihood there will be only one spin-off chosen. There's no need for a glut of Game of Thrones.

I have to imagine it's like a Game of Thrones: Pilot Season.

I would be fine with more than one spin off. A Dunk and Egg series, a Targaryen Conquest series, and a series set in the ancient past when the Children created the White Walkers.

They might be four shows but they might each be a miniseries in themselves, all together forming a sort of anthology.

I need Robert's rebellion!

I still think the best idea for a spinoff is a Targaryen series that follows the dynasty in different eras with each season basically being a mini-series.

Season 1 would the conquest of Westeros.

Season 2 would be the Faith Militant Uprising/Reign of Maegor the Cruel.

Season 3 would be the reign of Jaehaerys and his grandson and could span the golden age of Westeros.

Season 4 could be the Dance of Dragons.

Season 5 could focus on the Blackfyre Rebellions.

Season 6, the life of Aegon the Unlikely.

Season 7's focus would be the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

And Season 8/the final season could be Robert's Rebellion/the fall of the Targaryen Dynasty.

What would be interesting about this format is several of these stories span the period of years or even decades. So it would have to be a different format the employs large time jumps between episodes (almost like the miniseries The Kennedys). This is beneficial because it instantly sets the spinoff apart from Game of Thrones. Further, it could result in constantly changing casts and maybe even bringing in some bigger name actors who can't commit to 4 or 5 seasons but can commit to 4 or 5 episodes.

Last edited:
I really really like that idea, Matt.

I would be fine with more than one spin off. A Dunk and Egg series, a Targaryen Conquest series, and a series set in the ancient past when the Children created the White Walkers.

I'd also like to add that A Dream of Spring wont necessarily tie up the world in a neat little package.

I'd also like to add that A Dream of Spring wont necessarily tie up the world in a neat little package.

It won't tie anything up if GRRM dies of old age before he finishes writing it.:o

It won't tie anything up if GRRM dies of old age before he finishes writing it.:o

Actually I'm pretty sure the guys behind The Expanse books would probably take his notes and finish it for him, since they're his proteges so his imminent demise would probably lead to us reading it sooner. :sly:

Actually I'm pretty sure the guys behind The Expanse books would probably take his notes and finish it for him, since they're his proteges so his imminent demise would probably lead to us reading it sooner. :sly:

I didn't know they were his proteges. That's interesting. Even tho GRRM says he doesn't want someone else to finish his books, I figure with enough money changing hands someone will get his notes and finish the books eventually.

Or that his notes will be published or leak.

Or Peter Jackson turns his appendices into a trilogy of successful films.

I didn't know they were his proteges. That's interesting. Even tho GRRM says he doesn't want someone else to finish his books, I figure with enough money changing hands someone will get his notes and finish the books eventually.

Or that his notes will be published or leak.

One of them adapted A Game of Thrones into the comic series for him. I imagine we're so late in the game that there's enough material for the series to be completed.

Here's how I see the possible layout:

Robert's Rebellion

-Advantages: Familiar characters, comparatively low budget (no dragons, dire wolves, or white walkers).
-Disadvantages: We know the story, which kills a lot of the suspense in the show. Even Unsullied audience members know how things work out. And the lack of fantasy elements outside of Rhaegar *might* turn some fans off.

Dance of the Dragons

-Advantages: EPIC scale. Fresh characters for the audience, and enough mysteries to keep even the book readers interested.
-Disadvanatge: EPIC price-tag. Plus, it's possible the heavier fantasy elements accompanying the dragons taking center stage alongside the very fantastic Targaryens might turn off *some* viewers.

Dunk and Egg

-Advantages: Fresh characters to the audience, proven leads with GRRM writing and dialogue already defined in published material, and a timescale for major events in the character's lives that may work great with real time production.
-Disadvantages: Like Robert's Rebellion, kind of low on fantasy elements, though it might also suffer a bit from the slower build towards the deconstruction elements that fans love.

Hybrid story fusing multiple elements

-Advantages: You can combine the advantages of the above.
-Disadvantages: Same.

Dunk and Egg feels like a save bet, though a hybrid could really work. I keep thinking you could tie the Dance into the Blackfyre Rebellions with a character by using Lord Cregan Stark as a witness to Daemon Waters becoming Daemon Blackfyre; there's about 50 years between the two wars, and "Old Man of the North" is the kind of title that can bridge that gap, and builds into the Winterfell succession crisis that Martin has hinted at by having Cregan outlive so many direct heirs that his death causes infighting.

I'd love a show about Bloodraven, from being legitimized to becoming the three-eyed raven.

Or maybe Brian Herbert and Kevin AnderHACK would and publish a host of McASOIAF sequels and prequels.

Save

Peter Jackson's Middle Earth films were financially successful.

The LOTR Trilogy cost $297 million to make and the trilogy made $2.9 billion at the box office.

The Hobbit trilogy cost around $750 million to make and made $2.9 billion at the box office.

Even with critics it was successful. Four out of 6 films are Certified Fresh. The lowest Audience Score is 75%. And only one of the films is Rotten with a 59% score.

Last edited:
I was coughing over the "success" of adapting that material well and faithfully, not how much the films cost or what they made. Plenty of films have costed a lot to make and generated big box office numbers but that says nothing of their actual quality. The LOTR had a few terrible scenes but the Hobbit trilogy was a blasphemous travesty.

I would HATE for Jackson (and his bimbo squad) to touch this material. People complain about D&D but Jackson's treatment would break the boards.

People would hate if Peter Jackson adapted GRRM's appendices?

b012c89b4c1876537573c5701b769788.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"